Defining cardinal sin.

by tiotuerto 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I was just curious as to which sins are the most serious and unpardonable. Just trying to learn here.

This isn't a religious forum, why do seek such instruction here?

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

Chruches and their leaders would be a good place to start, imo. I sometimes think about poking around some of them myself

-Sab

• snowbird
    snowbird

All sins are cardinal.

James 2:10-11 You can't pick and choose in these things, specializing in keeping one or two things in God's law and ignoring others. The same God who said, "Don't commit adultery," also said, "Don't murder." If you don't commit adultery but go ahead and murder, do you think your non-adultery will cancel out your murder? No, you're a murderer, period. The Message Bible

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/faq/seven.html

Truly, truly.

Syl

• sabastious
    sabastious

Way to rain on my parade snowbird!

-Sab

• snowbird
  • unshackled
  • sabastious
    sabastious

James 2: 1-12 - 1 My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? 7 Are they not the ones who are blaspheming the noble name of him to whom you belong?

8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right. 9 But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11 For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,” also said, “You shall not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.

12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

Interesting list that James gives there in verse 11. What if I switch out sins (since he says it's ok):

For he who said, “You shall not commit SIN X,” also said, “You shall not SIN Y.” If you do not commit SIN X but do commit SIN Y, you have become a lawbreaker.

Why use the term lawbreaker and not sinner? Jesus broke laws, but never sinned.

-Sab

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Why use the term lawbreaker and not sinner?

You'll have to ask the New World Translation Committee.

Jesus broke laws, but never sinned.

Search carefully and you will see that He did neither.

Syl

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony.

But the evillest among these is pride, because it is the sin that all men fall prey to, and is also the root of all the others.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Syl, James is talking about discrimination and uses the comparison of a rich person and a poor person. Then he goes on to damn that current issue of discrimiation between the two classes of people. He even goes as far to say that God likes poor people more than rich people because poor people were the "chosen ones" of that day (side note: which kind of directly discriminates rich people). Then he describes that we are all sinners because all sins are the same because they are all breaking God's laws.

If anything, to me, that minimizes sin altogether not stamps them all as "the worse things you could possibly do" which is what happens when cardinal precedes it within the phrase Cardinal Sin.

I sped 5 miles over the speed limit coming to work today. I BROKE the law and that's a simple concept. A law is a law and always will be. A sin is a sin and always be until it isn't so why debate on what sin is worse than the other? (which I am not accusing you of doing)

All sins are equal but not cardinal sins because cardinal sins don't exist.

car·di·nal (kärdn-l, kärdnl)adj. 1. Of foremost importance; paramount: a cardinal rule; cardinal sins.

The word cardinal denotes a special focus. Sin shouldn't have special focus in our life and that's why sinning is not mentioned when Jesus recounted the "greatest commandments" to his apostles. Sinning is a part of our life and should be avoided because of their detrimental effects not because of some taboo.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit