How the Watchtower MELTDOWN fits in the stream of time

by Terry 23 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

A good post. Pacifism was rejected because women were expected to resist rape in self defense. That was offered as a rationale.

metatron

• doubtful
    doubtful

Great thread Terry. Keep 'em coming compadre.

• Terry
    Terry

Knorr, Covington and Franz were the unholy Trinity of Watchtower heaven for many years.

Covington won the battles with the Supreme court, Franz cooked up the chronology, theology and prophecy while Knorr created the missionary work,

businesslike organization structure and polished the public reputation of the Watchtower through positive publicity.

Covington was disfellowshipped (probably for alcoholism), Knorr was preoccupied with sexual sin discussions and Franz went looney off the rails

coo-coo and was made President.

You just have to love the mental health effects of being a JW.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Yes they were quite the group of intellectuals, held firm in the highest levels of personal integrity

Here's a group picture of them all together

• munchausen
  • ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

I only wish I could put my thoughts into words the way you do Terry. I guess it's a good thing that I can't as I would never get off the computer.

Thanks for yet another dead-nuts accurate synopsis of Watchtower buffoonery. I don't see how any JW that stumbles onto this site can spend more than five minutes here without seriously questioning their belief system.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Great summary Terry . . .

The gradual metamorphasis described resembles the life-cycle of Organisations that if constrained within a shorter time would undoubtedly expire as many Organisations find to be true.

What concerns me a little with JW Org is that they've managed to stretch things out over enough time that the coming full circle and resorting to methods of the past may find new life and regeneration with such a new audience . . . adequately detached from it's past.

I'm not sure you see where I'm coming from . . . but perhaps the information age will still prove to be thier one and only undoing.

• Terry
    Terry

The baseline of all Watchtower thinking is the intersection of two lines: Armageddon and Paradise restoration

The theology which describes it is a Mastery Asymptote.

To Master the JW theology, one empties themselves of "self" and becomes a performance robot for the Governing Body unquestioningly.

As the flow of TIME continues there is the promise of a NEXUS of events where Armageddon ushers in Paradise.

As with all Asymptotes, the curved line continually approaches the stright line WITHOUT EVER COMING WITHIN A FINITE DISTANCE.

• life is to short
  • exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

TERRY.

You have put into words so well, what I have thought for so long. The following quotes stood out to me especially.

As it was, Kingdom Halls were havens of misfits in the eyes of the community, the state and the mainstream christian milieu.
    As many people who are lost from disfellowshiping,fading, inactivity, topor and death, are replaced with interested persons who are so new,so naive, so unaware of the past , they are easily molded into TRUE BELIEVERS.

I remember the days when the "Old Guard" was in charge. Even as a little kid I noticed how odd they were and how embarrasingly weird so many of Witnesses were. The cast of Characters that attended my Hall as a kid was unbelievable.

It seems like over the years, the Org has lost the main thing that fueled their sense of purpose, "Martyrdom" and the influx of new converts to prove they are on the right track. After 30 years in the same Congregation, seeing it split several times and become several new ones, you realize that the growth is coming from "Born in's " who managed to stick with it, marry and have children and moved into the area. There were no new ones from the 'World" being brought in at all.

Because of the Internet and general osmosis, I think that JW's will overtime become just another mainstream religion that nobody notices.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit