Terry

Dimitri Tiomkin's amazing contribution to THE GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL

Gunfight at the OK Corral

Song from the 1957 movie "Gunfight at the OK Corral"

by Metor153 | 3 months ago | 1,142 views

• Terry
  • elderelite
    elderelite

One of my favorite themes is unforgivin... The tittle implies perhaps a forgiveness of an external nature but the movie deals exclusivly with the internal nature of repentance and forgivness.... I love the fact that its also a love a story, but rather than one where a rough and tumble cowboy is genteled down by a gal, we find the hero long since genteled and dealing with the loss of his gal.... The movie asks if we ever really change, since at the end william money reverts to type... He seems to deeply regret the killing of the two cowboys who had a bounty placed on them but seems to be at peace with killing those who killed his friend Ned. There is a certain resignation in him that he is able to kill proffciently and that perhaps killing has its place... He the post script to the movie concludes that he left off farming and hog raising (we are led to beleive that these were his wifes choices for the family) and "prospered in dry goods"... A haply ending for william and his children perhaps, but we are also told that his dead wifes mother ultimatly came looking and found her daughter passed away and her grandchildren moved on with theor father. She never understood how her daughter could take up with such a violent man... A poinent ending considerimg how much insight we are given into williams motives fir kilking, how difficult it was and ultimatly the price he paid emotionally. Its a stark reminder that we are judged harshly by those who dont know us and that we as humans tend to boil down others to basic and raw black and white characters, when the reality is we are all shades of gray...

Its theme that resonates deeply with me... I have hard tendancies and hope that those who love me will see past them and understand my motives.... I also know that many will never look deeper than the rough exterior and judge me in a black and white context. Like william i am willing to live as i need and hell with others.... But i to struggle with repentance and forgivness internally... In the end i hope my epithath will read like williams, tha i prospered and found some peace even if i remain unforgiven by those who judge me in absentia

Hell of a theme for a western imho

• blondie
    blondie

Once Upon a Time in the West

• unshackled
    unshackled

Heads up to those with AMC (especially in HD)....The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is about to start...7:30 (Pacific)

• pontoon
    pontoon

Lorene Green actually had a 331/3 album out. I think the name of it was Bonanza, but I don't remember for sure. On it he sang the Bonanza theme, (here in the west we're living the best...Bonanza!!! if anyone fights anyone one of us he's got a fight with me....) He also sang (or talked) a song that told the story of his three sons by different mothers and the about the building of the Ponderosa. I loved it when I was a kid. My dad had bought it for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit