everyone under his own vine and fig tree

by cameo-d 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Does this mean NO IMPORTS?

No olives, no fancy cheeses, no coconuts?

Does this mean NO INDUSTRY and NO MANUFACTURERS?

No convenient cans of soup and vegetables?

Does this mean total self sufficiency?

What does this phrase "everyone under his own vine and fig tree" mean to you?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Peace, happiness, and contentment.

Syl

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

"The Good Life"

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I am talking about a realistic viewpoint. Not the ideology you have been taught to regurgitate by the WT.

If you are under your own vine and fig tree, are you not under your own steam? Does this not mean a letting go of all dependency of industry, manufacturing, imports, and assistance from agencies and others?

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm not regurgitating anything taught by the WT, Cameo.

If you're familiar with the Holy Scriptures, you know that expression is a Hebraism, denoting peace and security.

Look how Zechariah 3:10, "sitting under vine and fig tree" in other translations, is rendered here:

"At that time, everyone will get along with one another, with friendly visits across the fence, friendly visits on one another's porches." The Message Bible

With that kind of scenario, who cares what kind of technology will be available?

Syl

• blondie
    blondie

It means the elders get theirs first...and it's bigger, and the rank and file will plant them. The elders will decide what kind of fig tree, how large, what type of vine and how long it can be.

• watersprout
    watersprout

It means i have a surplus of fine wine and loads of ''fig biscuits'' to eat!

Peace

• snowbird
    snowbird

If things were to go according to WT's schematic, that's just the way it would be, Blondie.

I think they're in for quite the surprise.

Syl

• journey-on
    journey-on

I use this phrase a lot. IMO, it means personal liberty and enjoying the fruits of one's own labor.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    The elders will decide what kind of fig tree, how large, what type of vine and how long it can be.

I always assumed the elders would assign me to live in a bog somewhere.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit