Should the GB be charged with crimes against humanity?

by punkofnice 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I get really angry when I think of how the GB have callously allowed lives to be ruined. Protected child molesters. Caused deaths because of a weird blood doctrine. Destroyed families because of DFing and other antichrist non Biblical stuff.

How many here think the GB should be charged with crimes against humanity?

What's the chances?

(I'd like to send them to 'the chair' in honesty)

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

punkofnice, we don't want to offend anybody. We have to be politically correct in this day and age. They should be allowed to worship a God in any way they want, even if it means murdering their members and destroying their lives.

Sarcasm doesn't come over well on the internet so I'm letting you know I'm being sarcastic.

• garyneal
    garyneal

A class action lawsuit filed by former members might gain some traction.

Beyond that, there is too much chance that any charges brought against this religious group could be later interpreted as a method to bring charges against another religious group.

• mindseye
    mindseye

While I certainly agree that the activities of the GB are corrupt and immoral, in the end individual witnesses act of their own accord. Even taking into account the massive indoctrination that takes place, the individual JW can leave whenever they want (social and psychological repercussions notwithstanding), as well as choose their own behavior in cases such as disfellowshipping, etc.

In the cases where laws have been clearly violated, I agree that action can take place. Also, I agree the state could step in when, for instance, a child needs a blood transfusion.

Other than that, I don't see the point in going after the org for the hell of it. In reality such an action would just feed JWs persecution complex, and increase their 'great tribulation' fantasies. Better to spread the truth about the 'truth' through the net and help those who want to leave to do so with less scars as possible.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Yes they should. End of.

Loz x

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi punkofnice, although I agree with you about all the things that the WTBTS has advocated to JWs that has adversely affect the lives of JWs, at the end of the day it is still the individual JWs decision that has adversely affected every JW. The WTBTS is very careful to use innuendo and saying "it is what Jehovah wants" instead of saying this is a WTBTS direct order. I doubt that any court would be able to convict the GB and the WTBTS about what is written in WTBTS literature. It would possibly be more effective to learn how to deprogram JWs, to email JW friends and family links to websites such as the JWN, and to suggest to JWs who have doubts about the WTBTS to stop donating to the WTBTS.

If you believe in Our Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit, you can take solice in Mt 24:45-51. I pity a GB member or president of the WTBTS when he meets Jesus Christ.

Mathew 24:45-51 (NIV 2008) 45 “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47 I tell you the truth, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• Giordano
    Giordano

There is too much religious freedom (freedom from property taxes for instance) and not enough freedom from religion.

But on a number of occasions the Federal Gov. has put it's foot down.

On an issue like Polgamy the Us Gov. was ready to march against the Mormons, the mormons changed their tune in a hurry. The Civil rights act 'encouraged' churchs to welcome everyone. The Government also prosecutes child abuse, be it religiously motivated/justified. There is no freedom to abuse your child even if your religion tells you it's the right thing to do.

However when it comes to witness minors dying for want of blood they don't prosecute the WTBTS. A body count should be made of witness minors who died and adults who were coerced into rejecting blood.

Perhaps a new law needs to be forged...... Religously inspired Crimes against Humanity.

We just executed OSAMA because his religious beliefs allowed him to plan and order the death of thousands and the US Gov said BS to that.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I would like to see this happen.

I would like to see them squirm when confronted with their duplicity over issues such as Malawi and United Nations. Perhaps their inability to prove they are "directed" but not "inspired" by an invisible and silent god would open most peoples eyes.

• glenster
    glenster

No. Crimes against humanity is reserved for large scale crimes by gov'ts,
    and none have been stupid enough to let the GB run a country.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimes_against_humanity
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_rights_articles_by_country

There should be a law against people cooking up research material to affect
    exclusiveness and misleading people to death (followers misled about the medical
    use of blood/blood products, how to react to intolerant gov't leaders, etc.).

• losthobbit
    losthobbit

I am by no means an expert in law... but it seems to me that the concept of religion has nothing to do with laws against the governing body.

Let me see if I can explain:

An athiest is bound by the law.

A religious person is bound by the law and their religion.

So it seems that a religion doesn't have any special rights (athiests have more rights than religions), and it's probably best to think about this as people vs. people, rather than people vs. a religion / religious group.

The GB's only weapon is words. Perhaps they could be sued for libel, or something similar?

Personally I think the whole legal system is far too complex. There should be one law... be nice. If you're not nice, you go to jail! :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit