why does the watchtower call them marriage mates and not spouse?

by hoser 18 Replies latest jw friends

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Rick Fearon warned of this site being full of debauchery

Yeah . . . and six screens is the "highway of holiness" . . . lets all rush over there and get saved

• wasblind
    wasblind

Y'all crazy

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

@ BP, I believe the word is "homosexicality"...LMAO

I notice that, although they use the word spouse on occasion, it's more often "marriage mate", which is so weird. My mom used to refer to dating as "looking for a mate"...ugh...

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I don't think the use of "spouse" is the issue. The issue is the phrase "marriage mate." That isn't a term very commonly used outside the Borg, is it? It isn't unheard of but it is far less common than spouse is, while in the BorgLit the opposite is true and "marriage mate" is somewhat more used than "spouse" is (576 to 512 in the 2010 CDRom).

• TheClarinetist
  • Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Oh what about the phrase "having relations" with reference to sex?? I HATED THAT!! My mom would always refer to someone as "having relations" and in a hushed tone like it was something so horrible...as in "Well, ya know, Jehovah doesn't like it when people are out havin' relations with this one and that one...". My ex used to call it "having intimate time" . It's sex. Just freakin' call it SEX. Jesus Christ, what's the big freakin' deal?!

• Kudra
    Kudra

I think it is because a "marriage mate" sounds like something someone else (read: Jehooby) puts together. You "mate" something. You look for the mate to your shoe. It is a very external sounding description.

Etc.

A "spouse" is more personal -like it is you and your husband, no one else allowed. But the WT knows that is not how they want it framed. They need to insert themselves or Jehooby in there so they can control things.

I think my mom used to talk about not dating til you were looking for a "marriage mate" UGH. It is so clinical sounding. Shudder. Bleah...

The way the WTS deals with "marriage mates" usually ends up turning it into "CHECKMATE" Ha ha ha.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

They just like to use the word "marraige" a lot.

It makes them feel more richeous.

Marriage is a word found in the bible, "spouse" is not.

I am serious.

• highdose
    highdose

i always thought it sounded perverted to say " i'm looking for a sister to be my marriage mate!" so incestous! Mind you the bible is perverted too " so and so had relations with his wife and she came to bear a son" yes well how was the wife going to be pregnant without "relations"? I think that was just a way for dirty old men back then to pat themselves on the back " 99 years old and still giving her one eh?"

how about "wifely helper"? thats another one

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit