Was the GB scared by pew research on religion? (statistics)

by JonathanH 10 Replies latest jw friends

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

Looking at pew research data on JWs (Link below if you want to check it out, it's interesting to compare stats.), you have to wonder if the GB has seen them and what they think about them. It would seem to me examining the statistics that there are far more witnesses on the inside that don't really believe it is the "truth" than many on the inside would assume. For instance only 80% of the JWs interview said that it was the one true faith, 16% said many religions can lead to eternal life and 3% either didn't know or refused to answer. Only 77% of witnesses said that their is only one way to interpret their teachings. 8% of witnesses think that the modern theory of evolution is the best explanation for life on earth.

Think about those things for a second. Only 4 out of 5 witnesses actually thought that their's was the one true religion. Given that the GB insists that every other religion in existence is satanic and will be destroyed, there is 1 out of 5 JWs that don't necessarily agree with that view. Now they may actually believe most of what the GB spews forth, but a degree of pluralism has managed to seep in so that there is a decent contingent of people that don't think salvation can only come through the GB.

What is really shocking is the 8% that believe in darwinian evolution. Those poor saps are just completely stuck in a religion they know is BS. Because you can't buy the whole adam and eve, and biblical literalistic interpretation and still say that Evolution is the best explanation for life on earth.

Do you think having statistical evidence of how many witnesses don't believe the GB is the path to salvation scares them to death? Or do you think they are in such a bubble they don't even know what pew research is? But knowing that there are so many still on the inside that don't buy it makes you understand the paranoia of the July 15 WT. Seeing that potentially 8% of witnesses believe in evolution would definitely make people in charge want to make sure no witness ever takes a class in biology, or genetics, or any life or earth science. Knowing 1 in 5 witnesses may think that you can attain salvation by means other than them would make them want to hammer home the point that disobedience to them is disobedience to god.

I wish I could find past studies, I'll keep looking on the site to see if they have any. I would be interested to see how these stats have changed over the years. But it's clear that they have reason to be afraid. There are many within that don't put faith in them.

Other stats of interest (there are lots)

39% of witnesses actually claimed political party affiliation, or leaned towards a party. Almost half of witnesses want bigger government and more services (only 23% wanted less government), which is funny because (A)The government is run by satan, and (B) Duh, a large portion of them are probably on welfare.

Which leads to this stat, 42% of witnesses make less than 30k a year, making them the second poorest demographic next to historically black churches (which overwhelmingly wanted bigger government). Which leads to this stat.

Witness have the lowest college graduation rate 6%, Historically black churches ranked second to last and were still almost double the witnesses at 11%. Hindus clean up BTW, they have a 48% college education rate. JWs also tie for second amongst the highest in those without a highschool education at 19% (1 in 5 witnesses don't even have a high school or equivalent diploma...that insane.)

Now a bit of social commentary. Blacks were discreminated against for the majority of american history. Just in the past few decades has their been any attempt at actual equality for them as a group, and though as a demographic they are making strides, looking at historically black churches, they still have a long way to go to overcome the economic, and educational handicap they had. But despite this, they are tied with witnesses and in some cases doing better in things like income, and education. It took centuries of bigotry and oppression to handicap blacks in america, and witnesses have done it to themselves in a matter of decades. While one group is trying to climb out of a hole they were forced into, another is being pushed into it with a smile by senile old men who are afraid of losing power and authority. It's disturbing that witnesses are unwittingly building a ghetto for themselves.

There are plenty of cool stats on JWs and other religions, go check it out. See what jumps out at you.

http://religions.pewforum.org/portraits

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

I don't know if I'd put too much stock in that poll. They have 10% as republicans and 15% as democrats. That's 25% of the people they identified as JWs as being affiliated with a political party. Among the people who claim government is the 7-headed, 10-horned wild beast of Revelation, it's odd to see 47% want more of it and 38% want it to legislate morality. It's also interesting to see in an organization of people who are constantly told God doesn't care about them as individuals, but only about his "organization", 63% say they are having their prayers answered.

If you look at this page of the site:

http://religions.pewforum.org/pdf/report2religious-landscape-study-topline.pdf

and search along it for "Jehovah" other interesting tidbits are:

How certain are you about this belief? 93% (highest of all religions polled)
    Do you believe in life after death? 42% yes, 45% no
    Do you think there is a heaven, where people who have led good lives are eternally rewarded? 46% yes, 42% no
    would you say that the Bible is to be taken literally, word for word? 48% yes, 40% no
    Miracles still occur today as in ancient times? 15% completely agree, 15% mostly agree
    My religion is the one, true faith leading to eternal life 80% yes (highest of all religions polled)
    There is only ONE true way to interpret the teachings of my religion 77% (highest of all religions polled)
    receive a definite answer to a specific prayer request? 37% at least once a week (highest of any religion polled)
    Tied with black churches for highest disproportion of women
    All in all, are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way things are going in your personal life? 83% (second lowest)
    Your standard of living – what you can buy or do 32% very satisfied (second lowest), very dissatisfied 11% (second highest)
    Your family life 69% very dissatisfied (second lowest), somewhat + very dissatisfied 9% (highest)
    Your personal safety from things like crime and terrorism? 18% very satisfied (lowest), 32% very dissatisfied (highest)
    Would you say you follow what’s going on in government and public affairs? 29% most of the time (lowest), 27% hardly at all (highest by a factor of 3)
    When you think about government and public affairs, which of the following factors most influences your thinking? 13% personal experience (lowest by far), 10% what you have seen in the media (lowest), 60% your religious beliefs (highest by a vast margin)
    When it comes to questions of right and wrong, which of the following do you look to most for guidance? 73% religious teachings and beliefs (highest by far), 19% practical experience and common sense (lowest by far), 1% scientific information (lowest)

All said, it seems Jehovah's Witnesses share most of the same demographics as "Traditionally Black Churches". I guess their ghetto combing is paying off. A glance at the race statistics indicates their main inroads are being made in the ghettos and barrios; with the same people who traditionally have the least education and lowest quality of life.

It also seems like a lot of JWs really don't know their doctrine (no newsflash here), because they're spit about down the middle on the yes/no doctrinal questions. For people who go around with the sole purpose of telling others they are wrong about religion, you'd think they'd have some idea what they're talking about. But I know from experience that's not even close to the reality.

• wasblind
    wasblind

WontLeave said:

" All said, it seems Jehovah's Witnesses share most of the same demographics as "Traditionally Black Churches". I guess their ghetto combing is paying off. A glance at the race statistics indicates their main inroads are being made in the ghettos and barrios; with the same people who traditionally have the least education and lowest quality of life."

Excuse Me !!!!!!! I know your tryin' to make a point

but can you go back and "READ THE WORDS "you put in print

and can you see how that is offensive

• sabastious
    sabastious
    What is the racial and ethnic composition of Jehovah's Witnesses? 48% - White (non-Hispanic) 22% -Black (non-Hispanic) 0% -Asian (non-Hispanic) 5% -Other/Mixed (non-Hispanic) 24% -Hispanic

I think that is a telling number.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    How many children at home do Jehovah's Witnesses have? 63% - No children 16% - One child 11% - Two children 6% - Three children 4% -Four or more children

^ this doesn't sound right.

-Sab

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

@WontLeave, I beg your pardon .I agree with Wasblind. Your words, although meant to prove a point, are very offensive.Maybe you should re-read and make it a little less offensive. Thanks.

Grewup

"I guess their ghettocombing is paying off. A glance at the race statistics indicates their main inroads are being made in the ghettos and barrios; with the same people who traditionally have the least education and lowest quality of life."

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast

"I think that is a telling number." - I'm sure there are Asian JW's. Perhaps they didn't take the poll or think themselves as Mixed Race. It is in the US and a lot of people are mixed race.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave
    African Americans lag behind whites in 2000 by nearly a factor of two. However it is less frequently observed that whites lag behind Asians by nearly as large a ratio. The group with the least education are not the African Americans, but the American Indians, Hispanic or Latino - wikipedia "Education outcomes in the United States by race and other classifications"

Status and Trends in the Education of Racial and Ethnic Groups (Source: United States Department of Education - 2008)

RaceAssociates DegreeBachelor's DegreeMaster's DegreeFirst Professional Degree
    Whites9.3%21.1%8.4%3.1 %
    Blacks8.9%13.6%4.9%1.3 %
    Hispanics3.6%4.8%1.4%0.2%
    Asians6.9%31.6%14.0%6.4%
    American Indians/Alaska Natives3.5%4.6%1.5%0.3%

I'm not sure what part there's a problem with. Are you saying the ghettos and barrios have the same level of education and quality of life as gated communities? I know from experience where JWs would rather preach, because educated people shut them down. They barely even try and go into the affluent neighborhoods with a defeatist attitude, knowing nobody's going to listen to them. Of course, they have all kinds of excuses "easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle...", "they have their 'paradise' now", "God chose the foolish things of the world", etc. I always got a great response in nicer neighborhoods and people would remark I'm the first person to knock on their door with religion that wasn't a weirdo.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Here are some JW highlights pulled from the Pew study. I've noted where they stood amongst the other religions polled. BTW..there are no surprises.

Going through it, there was some interesting spots where Mormons and JWs where so similar. But diverged when it came to things like family happiness, standard of living, and personal safety from crime - Mormons finished much higher.

Your standard of living – what you can buy or do:
    JWs - 32% Very satisfied (2nd lowest)

Satisfied with family life:JWs - 69% Very satisfied (2nd lowest)

Your personal safety from things like crime and terrorism:
    JWs - 18% Very satisfied (lowest)

Homosexuality is a way of life that should be accepted by society:
    JWs - 12% Completely agree (lowest)

Feel that my values are threatened by Hollywood and the entertainment industry:
    JWs - 32% Completely agree (2nd highest)

There are clear and absolute standards for what is right and wrong:
    JWs - 55% Completely agree (highest)

Evolution is the best explanation for the origins of human life on earth:
    JW - 3% Completely agree (lowest)

When it comes to questions of right and wrong, which of the following do you look to most for guidance?
    JWs - 73% Religious teachings and beliefs (highest)
    JWs - 3% Philosophy and reason (lowest)

• wasblind
    wasblind

" I'm not sure what part there's a problem with. Are you saying the ghettos and barrios have the same level of education and quality of life as gated communities? "

I'm sayin' that real stats will show that all blacks don't live in the ghetto. And ghetto combing for blacks is a derogatory statement, and all latinos don't live in barrios. there are also blacks and latino's who live in gated communities. Maybe not as many as white but they do live there

what these stats really show, is that education is the key for a better quality of life

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit