trying to reach teenage daughter

by Aussie Oz 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Quandry
    Quandry

Glad she sees some points, but please don't push. She may feel like she's between a rock and a hard place since her mom is a JW and you are, well, "dangerous."

Resist the urge to down the WT society for awhile. Just keep telling her how proud of her you are, and praise her efforts at school, etc. Be there if she needs to talk, but making her admit this and that about the WTS could backfire, making her feel guilty, and she might feel afraid to be with you again.

Just be careful.

• psychiatric
    psychiatric

wow, Oz i really feel your pain. Im only a bible studentmyself and i see many flaws in this faith. Im unsure wether to carry it on, but it seems doubtful that i will :) i have been studying a little over a year now.

I would suggest (as friendly advice) to challenege her about somethings as you said you have. Keep at that, and if she really does love the bible and reads it and knows it well, you can tell her this scripture: Proverbs 27:6. Try to get your head around that. she probably wont, until you explain it to her.

Proverbs 27:6 basically means, that the wounds inflicted by a lover are faithful, (it hurts, but your doing it to help her for the greater good) and the second part of the verse then says that but the kisses of a hater are things to be entreated. So that basically means that you could quite easily just say to her, oh its ok, just carry on dear. do as you please. Which is obviously wrong. Im sure she will understand that you are doing this to help her see the truth... behind the truth.
    ^_^

• steve2
    steve2

Most of us raised in the religion did not suddenly clarify our doubts and misgivings and decide to leave. It was almost always a gradual process with lots of ambivalence. The worst thing any adult can do is thrust a book in the child's hands and "encourage" them to read it. I remember school acquaintances trying to "save" me from the religion I was raised in. I switched off big time and, indeed, for a while became even more convinced I had the truth.

There's no rush to save your daughter from the religion. Absolutely none. In fact, as time passes and the world keeps on keeping on, the rleigion wil have an even tougher job keeping the younger ones in line. Good luck.

• psychiatric
    psychiatric

any updates oz?

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle
    Aussie you need to keep influencing her. My dad didn't. No one told me to think for myself. I really wish they did.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

At 13, I was 101% into the Truth. It made alot of sense. I wasn't really questioning it. I would have answered that I believed the podium and mags, I was programmed to say it. I made a great parrot at 13.

I started to get my own voice around 15, and by 17 I was out. 13, is between 10 and 15. Don't expect to much. She has alot of maturing to do.

• Open mind
    Open mind

If I was an elder assigned to "counsel" Scully, I think I'd decline.

Scully rocks!

• Scully
    Scully

Open mind:

If I was an elder assigned to "counsel" Scully, I think I'd decline.

Scully rocks!

Why, thank you! I suppose I should stop wondering why the Elders™ haven't come calling. LMAO

• cult classic
    cult classic

At 13 I was convinced that "the truth" was "the truth" Most of my family members have been baptized between the ages of 7 and 17. Those are prime years for instilling fear and control. JW parents and the borg know that these years are crucial to developing a sense of self. It is extremely important to help her develop critical thinking, analytical thinking, whatever you want to call it. Don't give up and by all means take this stage in her life very very seriously.

I hate this religion and what it is doing to yet another generation of my family.

• flipper
    flipper

AUSSIE OZ- Good job in talking to your daughter Dad ! I felt you handled it well. It was great you told her to not take anybody's word on things and to keep a critical open mind to check out information for herself. Those words will ring in her ears when she sits at meetings and eat at her , especially when she hears information she may disagree with. So hang in there - in time she may come around to see the JW's for what they really are- a mind control cult. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit