607 wrong using ONLY the bible (and some common sense)

by Witness My Fury 492 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@castthefirststone wrote:

3. Please provide proof for your statement that Nebuchadnezzar was dead when Baal was reigning. I am not interested in an arithmetic lesson, provide proof that Nebuchadnezzar's reign ended in 582 BC (562 BC is the generally accepted date, by the way) or provide proof that Nebuchadnezzar was dead when Baal was reigning. Neither of these statements are correct and two incorrect assumptions doesn't proof anything.

@djeggnog wrote:

What's wrong with you? If Baal began to reign as the king of Tyre in 577 BC, then his predecessor, Ithobalos, would not have been reigning, correct? Why would you need proof that Nebuchadnezzar's reign ended in 582 BC when if Josephus indicated that Ithobalos was the king of Tyre when Nebuchadnezzar besieged Tyre, then according to the popular premise that his siege on Tyre began in 587 BC and ended 13 years later, then this siege would have occurred during the reign of Baal, who Josephus essentially tells us had by 574 BC been ruling as the king of Tyre for three years since 577 BC. If Ithobalos was no longer the king of Tyre in 574 BC, then logically Nebuchadnezzar wasn't either. Maybe I missed it, but I don't believe Josephus indicated that the siege occurred during the reigns of both Ithobalos and Baal, did he?

@djeggnog it's ironic that you ask me what is wrong with me. What is wrong with you?

You first. I asked you whether Josephus had indicated that the siege on Tyre by Nebuchadnezzar occurred during the reigns of Ithobalos and Baal, and you didn't answer my question. Please answer my question.

You call me an apostate, but what makes me an apostate?

You were once one of Jehovah's Witnesses and yet you are asking me what is it that makes you an apostate? You know what makes you an apostate, so it is unnecessary for me to describe what you already know yourself to be.

Posting on this site?

I post messages on this site and I'm not an apostate. The fact that you post messages to JWN doesn't prove that you are an apostate. However, your pretending that you aren't an apostate would be like pretending that you've never had testicles, ever. Maybe you don't identify with being a man any longer, I don't know, but just as the things you say betray what you are as a person, the testosterone levels in you betray whether you are a man or a woman. Anyone can post messages to JWN, whether one should be one of Jehovah's Witnesses or an apostate.

What does that say about you?

Why don't you tell me what you believe my posting to this site says about me?

I suppose you are correct, I am an apostate, an apostate against falseness and lies that you keep spewing.

Say what now? An apostate against falseness and lies...? What kind of an "apostate" would that be?

With all the typos that you make, I suggest you change your keyboard as it seems faulty. It is difficult enough to read everything you post but compound that with your typing mistakes, it makes it almost impossible to follow your logic.

@djeggnog wrote:

I don't usually type anything; I dictate, and what you often read are the result of recognition errors, as to which I wouldn't expect you to know anything.

Dictating must be lamest excuse I have ever heard.

Did I make an excuse? I didn't make any excuse, let alone a lame one. I essentially told you that you were mistaken; that I have no need to change my keyboard, that I don't exactly make typing mistakes as much as recognition errors sometimes creep into what I dictate to my word processor. I sometimes type, like when I create a table to post here, but most of time I dictate what I post to JWN. Who are you to me that I should lie or make excuses to you? I didn't attack your character; you are an apostate, so why aren't you proud of who you are and why don't you stop pretending to be offended over what you yourself know yourself to be?

How do you dictate a wrong number?

What "wrong number?

I asked you about the 54 years and three months and how it connects to the reigns of the [Phoenician] kings because you brought it up. You use the three months of the 54 years to add 2 years to Eiromos' reign. Perhaps you should get a narrator to read back your posts to you as it seems that you can't remember what you posted.

But I do remember what it was I posted. I also know that Josephus was merely providing an estimate since he spoke of "the whole period" being "54 years, with 3 months in addition." I have no way of knowing -- and you don't either -- whether Josephus was relating in what he wrote in Against Apion, I, xxi, that Eiromos' reign was exactly 20 years or longer. Here's what we know about Eiromos: That he "reigned for 20 years," and that "[i]t was during his reign that Cyrus became ruler of the Persians." We also know that it was during "the fourteenth year" of his reign that "Cyrus the Persian seized power."

Now I have no way of knowing how Josephus reckoned Eiromos' 14th year or whether Eiromos' reign was 21, 22 or even 23 years. For all I know Eiromos reigned for 21 years if Josephus were to have included his accession year, but because Josephus also indicated that Solomon's temple lay in a "state of obscurity for fifty years," it does seem like Josephus might have done a bit of rounding. The total number of years that Josephus provides with reference to the reigns of the kings of Tyre total less than 54 years, 3 months, so if Eiromos reigned as king for at least four years after Cyrus deposed Babylon in 539 BC, then there would be a difference of 16 years, 3 months, during which the reign of Ithobalos and Nebuchadnezzar's 13-year siege occurred.

If Josephus provided approximations as to the reigns of the kings of Tyre, then the most I can reasonably account for is 38 years if I were to assign only 16 of Eiromos' 20-year reign when "Cyrus the Persian seized power" and 4 years to Merbalos, 1 year to Balatoros, 6 years to Myttynos and Gerastartos, 1 year to Ednibalos, Chelbes and Abbalos, and 10 years to Baal, or -539 + (-38), which brings me to 577 BC when I do the math.

Back to Josephus, the fourteenth year of Eiromos is when Cyrus took the kingdom. Josephus doesn't say in his 16th year and then add three months to his 16th year. Nothing you say can remove those facts, it is not an interpretation, it is explicitly stated as such. As I said before you trying to confuse the issue with Cyrus' regnal year doesn't work as it makes the starting point of the 13 years of Eiromos one year away from your precious 577 BC.

Ok.

577 BC is also wrong because you can't stretch Eiromos' reign in the context of Josephus. Josephus clearly states that he only reigned 20 years.

Ok.

This is the same problem you have with stretching Nabonidus/Belshazzar reign.

What does the reign of Nabonidus and Belshazzar, both of whom were Babylonian kings, not Phoenician kings, have to do with this?

You have absolutely no proof for either assumptions, yet you brazenly continue to try to proof your theories by spewing fallacies.

You're right; I don't, but neither do you have any proof for your assumption that Eiromos' 20-year reign is exactly 20 years.

I didn't join this forum to debate anything. I joined as I wanted to see if there was anyone that can defend the theory that 607 BC is the correct date and the established 587 BC is incorrect. You seem to be the only person willing to engage on this issue and the rest of the accusers that make up the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses are not willing to defend their position regarding this. You have failed to do so and use deceit to try to prove your theories.

Have you ever seen what I have spelled out here regarding Josephus' account in Against Apion, I, xxi, spelled out in any of our publications? Ever? Maybe in the future mention will be made, but why do you mention the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses here? You have not engaged a member of our governing body here and I am not a proxy for our governing body. I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and I know the truth, and so I am not tied to our publications as are many of Jehovah's Witnesses. The year 607 BC may, in fact, be a theoretical year, but so is the year 587 BC, since the Bible doesn't provide the year when Solomon's temple was destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar. The year 607 BC is based upon the date when Cyrus deposed Babylon and my faith that when Jehovah spoke of "the fulfilling of seventy years at Babylon" by the Jews during which the land would pay off its sabbaths "to fulfill seventy years" that he meant 70 years! (2 Chronicles 36:21)

@castthefirststone:

The issue really is: Can Josephus be used to disprove conventional chronology, when you have to rely on the same conventional chronology to get to the start of Cyrus' rule?

Yes, and Josephus can also be used to provide another measurement to determine about when it was that Nebuchadnezzar besieged Tyre.

@djeggnog

• Crisis of Conscience
  • castthefirststone
    castthefirststone

@djeggnog:

I see you like to attach the propagandist label of apostate onto me. I really don't care what you call me. You see apostasy is in the eye of the beholder and one person's apostate is another's reformer. To illustrate: Stephen was stoned to death for apostasy and to the Pharisees: Jesus was the greatest apostate who ever lived. So go ahead call me what you will.

Back to your theories, let's get this straight, you say that Josephus is proof that 587 BC is an incorrect date for the destruction of Jerusalem by doing the following:

1. Rounding up 50 years to 70 years.
    2. Rounding up 3 months to 12 months.
    3. Rounding up Eiromos' 14th year to 15 years.
    4. Then taking all the other numbers literal including the 13 years siege of Tyre.
    5. Taking the "In the reign of king Ithobalos" as literally meaning "During the reign of king Ithobalos".
    6. Ignoring the 7th year of Nebuchadnezzar.
    7. No way of reconciling the rest of the 54 years and 3 months.

All these cognitive gymnastics and you conclude that the established fact of 587 BC is wrong. Yes, readjust your hearing aid and click repeat on your text to speech software: 587 BC is an established fact, not a theory. You are trying to disprove this fact with your theories and it's not working. On the other hand your 607 BC is a theoretical date for which you have no proof, whatsoever. Then you ask me what is wrong with me? That is really sweet. You say your theoretical interpretation of Josephus disproves an established fact and then you think we are too stupid to understand what you are saying. Perhaps you should take your findings to your local university and see what they say about your theories; I think we both know what will be the result of that.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Why not make it easier for eggie? He says he works in an attorney's office. He can get his attorney friend to review his exercise in bad math and illogic. He'll see that the only way he'd get his hypothesis to fly is by folding it into a paper airplane and aiming for the wastebasket.

• Witness My Fury
  • Witness My Fury
  • MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Oh wow. I thought for sure this thread had died. I was worried djeggnog had realized the damage he was doing to the WT cause and backed out. But he's back to do more damage. YAY!

MeanMrMustard

edit: Holy mother of... djeggnog, can you please organize your posts better? It's going to take me a few hours before I even find meaningful content...

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Evidently, the full moon is not to blame this time - as that does not occur until Friday.

It must just be that internet access has been restored to the Psycho Ward (also that modern straight jackets permit the fingers to reach a keyboard!)

Bill.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@castthefirststone:

I see you like to attach the propagandist label of apostate onto me.

Ok, I'm going to have to take this up a notch.

I'm assumed until now that you were a man. If, by way of reply to this message, you should inform me that you are not a man, I'll have to revise what I'm about to say to you now, for even now I make the assumption that you are a man. In cyberspace, here on JWN or on any internet website, I do come on a bit stronger than I would in real life since you are who you say you are here, and I really cannot judge whether you are a man or a woman, or whether you are lying to me or telling me the truth. We are all (most of us!) anonymous, and so, for this reason, I feel you should man-up and take responsibility for what you are, because your words have betrayed you so that anyone that is not a moron would know that you are an apostate. If in your opinion, your being called out as such is a "propagandist label," then it is what it is. I don't want to get suckered, any more than I have already here, into helping you digress from this thread because you might want me to know how much I've hurt your feelings by calling a spade a spade.

I really don't care what you call me.

No, you do care what I call you, which is why this digression occurred in the first place. If you decide you want to withdraw from this thread, don't reply; just withdraw from it by not posting anything more to it. It's ok; I'm pretty sure that there is no here that has read any of your posts to this thread that actually believes that you don't care that I have called you an apostate, because when you forgot yourself and thought you were in a position to direct me to read -- what was it? -- Proverbs 3:32, I was reminded of what Satan did in quoting Psalm 91:11, 12 (at Matthew 4:5, 6), for he, too, abandoned true worship by rebelling against divine sovereignty of Jehovah God, but I believe it was you that wrote the following:

(@castthefirststone:)

"I suppose you are correct, I am an apostate, an apostate against falseness and lies that you keep spewing.

I suppose you must have also forgotten having wrote this, but if you man-up, anyone that should throw a "propagandist label" at you won't set you off or make you want to bawl your eyes out over it.

You see apostasy is in the eye of the beholder and one person's apostate is another's reformer.

What I behold is that you are an apostate and since you had both admitted and already supposed that I am correct in believing you to be such, are you now telling me that you are a reformer?

To illustrate: Stephen was stoned to death for apostasy and to the Pharisees: Jesus was the greatest apostate who ever lived.

Did either Stephen or Jesus ever abandon true worship? Yes or no?

Back to your theories, let's get this straight, you say that Josephus is proof that 587 BC is an incorrect date for the destruction of Jerusalem by doing the following:

1. Rounding up 50 years to 70 years.

2. Rounding up 3 months to 12 months.

3. Rounding up Eiromos' 14th year to 15 years.

4. Then taking all the other numbers literal including the 13 years siege of Tyre.

5. Taking the "In the reign of king Ithobalos" as literally meaning "During the reign of king Ithobalos".

6. Ignoring the 7th year of Nebuchadnezzar.

7. No way of reconciling the rest of the 54 years and 3 months.

When did I ever say that anything that Josephus wrote is proof that 587 BC is an incorrect date for the destruction of Solomon's temple in Jerusalem? Post the message I posted to this thread, so I can read it. I don't recall saying or intimating this at all. What I said about Josephus is that what he wrote about the "54 years, with 3 months in addition" makes clear to me that neither Nebuchadnezzar nor his son, Evil-Merodach were alive by the time Baal had begun his reign as king of Tyre in 577 BC if Nebuchadnezzar didn't survive the end of Ithobalos' reign, whose reign ended the year that Baal's reign began. Josephus stated, in pertinent part, that "in the seventh year of the reign of Naboukodrosoros ... he began to besiege Tyre," and that "[i]n the reign of king Ithobalos, Naboukodrosoros besieged Tyre for 13 years. After him Baal reigned for 10 years."

(I don't focus on Josephus' mention of Nebuchadnezzar's "seventh year" because it's irrelevant to the point I'm making, whereas the fact that Josephus indicates that Nebuchadnezzar besieged Tyre for 13 years is relevant to the point I'm making. I also don't comprehend what you mean by my "rounding up 50 years to 70 years"; I don't recall doing that in anything I wrote. Perhaps you think you have a point, so maybe you'll clarify the point you wish to make by posting where in this entire thread I did this.)

Anyway, what this means is that "in the reign of Ithobalos," Nebuchadnezzar besieged Tyre, but after Ithobalos, "Baal reigned for 10 years," so since Tyre survived the siege, then Nebuchadnezzar must had died since there was no siege during Baal's reign. Don't you recall making a big deal over my having determined, based on what Josephus wrote, that Baal's reign began in 577 BC? Here's one of the things you wrote regarding the year 577 BC, which I had estimated as being the year when Baal began his reign:

2. You try to confuse the issue with regnal year of Cyrus. Josephus mentions Cyrus from the Chaldeans perspective and contrasts it to the Phoenicians history. Cyrus took over the kingdom from the Chaldeans in 539 BC, which you are in agreement with. I don't see how the regnal year allows you to add another year to Eiromos' reign. If you use the regnal year of Cyrus, it takes you [further] away from your precious 577 BC that you cling to.

First of all, I didn't use Cyrus regnal year. His first regnal year began in Nisan 538 BC and ended in Nisan 537 BC, but what I took into consideration was the six months that began in Cyrus' accession year, Tishri 539 BC, and ended in Nisan 538 BC. I don't know how exact Josephus was in his reckoning of the length of Eiromos' reign, but I do know that Eiromos' 20-year reign would have come to an end in 533 BC if it was "in the fourteenth year of the reign of Eiromos" that Cyrus "seized power."

You wonder how Cyrus' regnal year allows me to add an addition year to Eiromos' reign, but Eiromos reigned for 20 years, and I'm not comfortable counting back from his 14th year, because I don't know how Eiromos' regnal year ran. Tishri 539 BC could have been toward the beginning of Eiromos' 14th regnal year or toward the end of Eiromos' 14th regnal year, so when I add six months that remained in Cyrus accession year, I decided to round up and count 15 years.

Consequently, for Eiromos' reign, I had been subtracting 20 years from "54 years, with 3 months in addition," which from Nisan 538 BC would bring us to 556 BC "with 3 months in addition," so I decided to round up and reckon this additional three months as an additional year and count 16 years. Since Josephus had encapsulated the reigns of the Tyrian kings, I am more comfortable taking, not 14 years, but 16 years of Eiromos' 20-year reign, and adding 4 years to Merbalos, 1 year to Balatoros, 6 years to Myttynos and Gerastartos, 1 year to Ednibalos, Chelbes and Abbalos, and 10 years to Baal, or -539 + (-38), which brings me to the year 577 BC.

Note, please, that I have not so far even mentioned the year 587 BC or the destruction of Solomon's temple in Jerusalem, have I? For me to have said this would have been as ditsy as your accusing me here of making such a statement, which I never did since my mention of Josephus in this context has nothing at all to do with 587 BC. Do you not also remember writing in a previous message the following:

Fact1: Baal didn't start his reign in 577 BC as djeggnog stated, as this will contradict Josephus.

Fact2: Even if Baal somehow started his reign in 577 BC (if one uses flawed djeggnog logic), this still proves absolutely NOTHING!!!

You and others here believe that Nebuchadnezzar's accession year would have been 605 BC, that his first regnal year would have been 604 BC and his 18th regnal year would have been 586 BC, making Nebuchadnezzar's 43rd regnal year 561 BC, but these dates don't work when due consideration in given to the facts presented by Josephus to the effect that Nebuchadnezzar besieged Tyre during Ithobalos' reign, and Ithobalos' reign ended when Baal's reign began in 577 BC.

The Bible teaches that it was during Nebuchadnezzar's "seventh year," after "three months and 10 days," that King Jehoiachin, his mother, as well as "court officials and the foremost men of the land," which would have included Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, were led away as exiled people to Babylon. (Jeremiah 52:28; 2 Chronicles 36:9; 2 Kings 24:15) Ten years later, Zedekiah rebelled against Nebuchadnezzar so that he returned during his "eighteenth year," killed Zedekiah's sons as Zedekiah watched and then blinded him, as he was led off captive to Babylon where Jehoiachin had been living in exile for the entirety of Zedekiah's 10-year reign. (Jeremiah 52:29; 2 Kings 25:7) (BTW, in Jewish Antiquities, X, 181, 182 (ix, 7), Josephus makes reference to "the fifth year after the sacking of Jerusalem, which was the twenty-third year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar," which is the what the Bible describes at Jeremiah 52:30, but this is auxiliary to the point of this message.)

The reason I know that Nebuchadnezzar died before Baal's reign began is because 2 Kings 25:27 states that it was during Jehoiachin's 37th year as an exile in Babylon that Evil-Merodach "in the year of his becoming king, released Jehoiachin "out of the house of detention," and if Jehoiachin's 37th year of exile occurred when Evil-Merodach was "the king of Babylon," this means that Nebuchadnezzar was no longer living at this time. I should mention that Josephus believes Evil-Merodach reigned for some 18 years, but for reasons I don't give here, I don't agree with Josephus' statement.

If Nebuchadnezzar's 18th year was 607 BC, then his 43rd year would have been 582 BC. We can know this by doing the math: Just subtract 25 years from 582 BC [-582 + (-25) = 607]. This means that Nebuchadnezzar died during Ithobalos' reign, some five years before Baal's reign began in 577 BC. Thus, Nebuchadnezzar's 43rd year couldn't have been 561 BC, since by 561 BC, he would have been dead for some 21 years (582 BC) and his son, Evil-Merodach, for some 18 years (579 BC).

If Nebuchadnezzar's 18th year was 607 BC, then his 43rd year would have been 582 BC, and Evil-Merodach, who succeeded his father, but died in 579 BC, had been dead for two years, and his father for five years, when Baal became the king of Tyre in 577 BC.

All these cognitive gymnastics and you conclude that the established fact of 587 BC is wrong.

What are you talking about now? You can believe what you want about the year 587 BC; I accept the fact that you and I disagree, but my dates that are based on Solomon's temple being destroyed in 607 BC works for me and 587 BC doesn't work for me.

Yes, readjust your hearing aid and click repeat on your text to speech software: 587 BC is an established fact, not a theory.

I don't wear a hearing aid just yet; maybe I should start giving some consideration to getting eyeglasses, but I don't use "text to speech software." I use speech recognition software to dictate most of what I post here to JWN. All of these shots you are taking at me make you come off as both an immature little girl and clueless, and you really should man-up. If you should be more interested in being foolish and in taking shots at me than in discussing this topic further, then I'm going to have to withdraw from this thread.

@djeggnog

• Witness My Fury

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit