JW-lite on Facebook

by compound complex 11 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, fellow posters and friends:

I have noticed that JWs on FB post a great deal from their website. It's ready-made witnessing material, namely, videos, links to reading materials, comments on the TV show, etc. When comments are made by Witnesses, it generally involves superficial and black-and-white reasoning. Blanket generalizations are common; praise of the GB is, well . . . you know. As to declaring the most important issue in the universe, it's simply this: "Jehovah is good, Satan is bad." There might be a bit more to it than that, but I'll need to do further research. . . .

On occasion, I have responded with a comment based on my research in the publications and Bible. Also, I have related experiences from past times to show attitudes and actions of the old-school JWs. My goal has been to remain entirely within the parameters of the JW comfort zone in order to get a seasoned reply.

I have gotten many "likes" but rarely a response. My question is this: do JWs simply not discuss doctrine and such on FB or JW-friendly sites? Have you any thoughts or experiences in this regard?

Thanks.

CC

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

This JW Facebook page always contains some interesting comments: JW NEWS

The regular posts "From the Archives" always attracts a heated debate. Not a lot of followers, only 6,000+

• the comet
    the comet
    Witnesses don't discuss doctrine period. Even during the watchtower study or congregation "bible" study, doctrine isn't really discussed. Read the paragraph, ask the question, quick answer that is just rereading the paragraph, then move on. Ive been just sitting here thinking for about 5 minutes and I can't think of a single witness, under 30, that would even begin to know how to talk about anything more than elementary doctrine.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

JWs seem to get very antsy at the mere mention of anything remotely doctrinal sounding. In my experience most will change the subject. So, no surprises their social media activity is just as superficial.

Are you hoping to plant a few seeds of TTATT?

• Louise
    Louise
    I think the Jw's these days are half hearted and don't have any passion whatsoever. Aaag I can't even be bothered to carry on suddenly,
  • compound complex
    compound complex

jwleaks, the comet, sparrowdown, and Louise:

Your comments are very much appreciated. Thanks, jwleaks, for that helpful link.

Maybe a few seeds, sparrowdown, particularly amongst friends and family on FB. I feel a responsibility toward those who followed my lead when I was an active, zealous evangelizer and teacher. Others, too, who have been dear friends for so many years. Those under 30 don't appear to be inclined nor educated sufficiently to talk their faith, the comet; you're correct. Half hearted is spot on, Louise.

Gratefully,

CC

Interesting what I found on JW NEWS (what a site!):

brothers and sisters. this page is actually a ex jehovah's witness page even though it seems like jw page.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

In JW-land you can only speak and write about things ...

... so that you can enjoy an encouraging and upbuilding interchange with the brothers and sisters.
    *** km 10/99 p. 7 ***
  • William Penwell
    William Penwell

Witnesses don't discuss doctrine period. Even during the watchtower study or congregation "bible" study, doctrine isn't really discussed. Read the paragraph, ask the question, quick answer that is just rereading the paragraph, then move on. Ive been just sitting here thinking for about 5 minutes and I can't think of a single witness, under 30, that would even begin to know how to talk about anything more than elementary doctrine.

Yeah just a bunch of dumb down drones. This is what help me to see the truth about the WT society.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

compoundcomplex - "...do JWs simply not discuss doctrine and such on FB or JW-friendly sites?"

Not if they know what's good for 'em.

Doctrine and policy (which are both really the same) change with the tides, and so much of it is refutable even by the WTS's own publications.

I suspect most JWs know this (at least subconsciously).

• Elena
    Elena

I didn’t realise the JW-lite idea goes back a decade or so.

recently the JW-lite has become openly talked about on Facebook and instagram. Things like I love how I can still attend on zoom even thought this and that.

It has become a social club for many who don’t believe anymore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit