djeggnog, YOU were a professional musician...answer THIS non-religious question.

by the pharmer 19 Replies latest jw friends

• the pharmer
    the pharmer

Don't worry, this should be an EASY elementary question, especially for a former professional musician.

(Those of you wondering why I ask, I wonder just how stubbornly he will hold on to his false statement -- one of many -- even though it is a relatively benign and non-religious topic.)

How many intervals in a harmonic minor scale, djeggnog?

Now write it out in terms of whole-steps (W) and half-steps (H). (For example, like this: Major scales consists of 7 intervals in the pattern of W-W-H-W-W-W-H)

If you do in fact give the correct answer, I am curious as to how your answer will compare to the error you made when you previously stated to me, "I had to have been exhausted to have completely ignored the fact that there are 12 intervals (half-steps) in a musical scale when I wrote what I did about the harmonic F#-minor", (which in terms of whole and half-steps, your harmonic minor scale -- in your own description -- would have looked like this, H-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-H , which would also mean that your harmonic minor scales have a total of 13 notes in a row...interesting!).

In this case, how true will you be to your own words when you essentially have said in the past that you, as a JW, are honest enough to admit when you are wrong? Will you be able to admit it here, the one of many errors you have avoided?

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I was in a punk band and I'll be honest I never focused on that kind of stuff. We pretty much just played as loudly and as obnoxiously as possible.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

LOL I know this one...

• the pharmer
    the pharmer

Just an FYI for anyone who doesn’t know his musical background. He has stated:

“You didn't know this, but you are talking to a former musician,”

(Well, somewhere he has actually informed me he is a former professional musician, but I can’t find that post now, it might have been in a pm)

“I realize you didn't know that I play alto sax (Eb), trombone (Bb) and keyboards (organ and synthesizer). A little background: I'm a former pre-Disco era R&B musician, who, along with a tenor saxophonist, that also played the soprano sax and the flute ; an alto saxophonist; and a trumpeter -- we four -- were the brass section of a nine-man band with a three-man (actually a one-man and two-woman) singing group that would sing for one of our 40-minute sets as part of our ensemble.”

I highlighted the above to show yet another one of many errors of his as regards. It is in reference to one of the members of the ‘brass’ section of the group-- someone who plays flute, tenor sax, and soprano sax (considered woodwind instruments, not brass instruments). Contrary to what he has stated, this person would NOT be considered part of ‘the brass’ section. Although those three instruments are made out of metal, they are part of the ‘woodwind’ section, but I have heard them sometimes referred to generically as part of a ‘horn’ section in a general sense – Regardless, never are they considered a member of a ‘brass’ section.

I realize I might sound picky here, but from what I can tell, I am no pickier than what he is.

He claims such authority with this non-religious material, yet has made many errors. And even at that, I don’t really mind that he has made errors (although the sheer number of them decreases his credibility), my real concern with him is his inability to see, acknowledge, admit, and correct the errors.

If he can’t own up to his errors on a benign topic such as music (of which he claims to be a competent authority), especially when these errors are not a matter of opinion or interpretation, how am I (or anyone) to take him seriously on matters that are not so cut-and-dry and are subject to interpretation? More importantly, how can anyone think he is going to speak honestly if he can’t do so and admit error in the simplest and non-threatening of topics?

• the pharmer
    the pharmer

Back to my OP, given djeggnog's self proclaimed proficiencies, it really should be an easy question for him. If not, he can always look it up (just like he tells others to do), and given the fact that I pointed out his errors, I hope he would look them up. Otherwise, he's not holding himself up to the same standards he claims.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@the pharmer:

How many intervals in a harmonic minor scale, djeggnog?

Seven.

Now write it out in terms of whole-steps (W) and half-steps (H). (For example, like this: Major scales consists of 7 intervals in the pattern of W-W-H-W-W-W-H)

We'd have U, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8ve, where "U" = "Unison" and "ve" = "Octave," but more specifically, using your notation for the Natural A Minor Scale, we'd have:

A - B - C - D - E - F - G - A

W- H - W - W - H - W - W

But using this same notation for the Harmonic A Minor Scale, but using "WA" to indicate an augmented whole interval, we'd have:

A - B - C - D - E - F - Ab - A

W - H - W - W - H - WA - H

If you do in fact give the correct answer, I am curious as to how your answer will compare to the error you made when you previously stated to me....

I don't suppose you need me for this, so....

In this case, how true will you be to your own words when you essentially have said in the past that you, as a JW, are honest enough to admit when you are wrong?

I'm going to have to pass on responding to this question. Your thread indicated that you would be asking me a "non-religious question."

Will you be able to admit it here, the one of many errors you have avoided?

I don't understand this question, but with respect to the entirety of what I wrote in a different thread:

With respect to the melodic major and minor "triads," it is always the third note in the minor triad that is flatted, so to speak, which is why, as I stated above, I had to have been exhausted to have completely ignored the fact that there are 12 intervals (half-steps) in a musical scale when I wrote what I did about the harmonic F#-minor chord's fourth interval being a Eb (D#), when the fourth interval will always be a C# (Db), when this note will always be five half-steps away from the root note. While a minor chord will always be three half-steps away from the root note, a major chord will always be four half-steps away from the root note.

-- I'm satisfied that I erred when I wrote "12 intervals in a musical scale," for I should have written "12 basic intervals on the piano keyboard," since this is what I had in mind at the time I was writing that post.

I hope these responses prove to be helpful in some way to you.

@djeggnog wrote:

I realize you didn't know that I play alto sax (Eb), trombone (Bb) and keyboards (organ and synthesizer). A little background: I'm a former pre-Disco era R&B musician, who, along with a tenor saxophonist, that also played the soprano sax and the flute; an alto saxophonist; and a trumpeter -- we four -- were the brass section of a nine-man band with a three-man (actually a one-man and two-woman) singing group that would sing for one of our 40-minute sets as part of our ensemble.

@the pharmer wrote:

I highlighted the above to show yet another one of many errors of his as regards. It is in reference to one of the members of the ‘brass’ section of the group-- someone who plays flute, tenor sax, and soprano sax (considered woodwind instruments, not brass instruments). Contrary to what he has stated, this person would NOT be considered part of ‘the brass’ section. Although those three instruments are made out of metal, they are part of the ‘woodwind’ section, but I have heard them sometimes referred to generically as part of a ‘horn’ section in a general sense – Regardless, never are they considered a member of a ‘brass’ section.

This may be difficult for you to accept, but the guy that played the tenor sax, the guy that played the alto sax, the guy that played the trumpet and me, the guy that played the trombone -- we four -- were called "the brass section." You want to criticize us for not referring to ourselves as "the woodwind section," and I'm ok with your doing this. However, I've told you what the four of us were called, how we were referred to when justaposed against what was called "the rhythm section" (electric guitar, bass guitar, drums and keyboards), for even when the guy on tenor sax switched to play the soprano sax or the flute, or when the tenor sax guy was forced to play the drums when the drummer had to use the bathroom, or when I switched to play the alto sax or keyboards(!), we continued to be "the brass section."

@djeggnog

• the pharmer
    the pharmer

I asked:

Will you be able to admit it here, the one of many errors you have avoided?

You said:

I don't understand this question, but with respect to the entirety of what I wrote in a different thread:

With respect to the melodic major and minor "triads," it is always the third note in the minor triad that is flatted, so to speak, which is why, as I stated above , I had to have been exhausted to have completely ignored the fact that there are 12 intervals (half-steps) in a musical scale when I wrote what I did about the harmonic F#-minor chord's fourth interval being a Eb (D#), when the fourth interval will always be a C# (Db), when this note will always be five half-steps away from the root note. While a minor chord will always be three half-steps away from the root note, a major chord will always be four half-steps away from the root note.

I highlighted a single error of yours for this thread alone, djeggnog, not a whole lot to get confused over. And THIS error was made as a correction to a previous error of yours...maybe you need to do more research prior to correcting previous errors so they don't pile up as high as they have.

And now everyone can see just how difficult that was for you to admit your error, even to non-religious matters (and by the way, I didn't ask a religious question...read it again if you in fact did have a difficult time comprehending it. It was/is a non-religious question...and your religious standards ought to be able to be mentioned and adhered to, even in the midst on non-religious matters...unless, that is, you have double standards). :)

(btw- I can accept that your brass section consisted of non-brass instrumentation; I won't have any more issues with that. ;)

I won't make you do this with all your errors (but you're welcome to admit to those as well) :) ...like the pm of yours, where I think, your errors actually out-numbered the number of sentences you used.

Anyway, thanks. At least you admitted this one...and for that one in many, I do appreciate!

Sincerely,

• the pharmer
    the pharmer

Furthermore, above, you said:

"..augmented whole interval"

There is no such interval as a "augmented whole"...the interval you are referring to is called an "augmented second". You really need to be careful, because it seems, the more info you give, even when clearing up a mistake of yours, you end up providing yet another error.

When one covers poison with a bunch of sugar, it might make it easier to swallow, but the toxicity is the same.

• the pharmer
    the pharmer

You said:

"-- I'm satisfied that I erred when I wrote "12 intervals in a musical scale," for I should have written "12 basic intervals on the piano keyboard"

12 basic intervals on the piano keyboard?? You specifically had referred to there being "12 intervals" in a scale, and you referred to them as 1/2 step intervals!

At least now you have changed it to the correct answer…7 intervals…and you recognize that “1/2” step intervals was also incorrect.

If you were in fact talking about basic intervals on a keyboard, you would not have clarified it with "1/2 step" intervals!

...quit blowing smoke...you might fool some, but you're not fooling me.

You said:

"I hope these responses prove to be helpful in some way to you."

I am satisfied! Thank you! I am satisfied that you admitted to one of your many errors that I pointed out. Granted, I had to really work hard and single it out in order to get you to admit it...even seperating it completely from any religious topic.

This long journey of avoidance you have taken us on, has hardly been a demonstration of honesty and humility.

Other readers will no doubt come to their own conclusions as to what value and credibility your words hold, but for me, I think it is rather obvious.

• sizemik
    sizemik

@Tuesday . . .

I was in a punk band and I'll be honest I never focused on that kind of stuff. We pretty much just played as loudly and as obnoxiously as possible.

I'm sure that will meet with DJ's approval

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit