Searching for non bias news and information sources.

by Joliette 24 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

For breaking news in Japan, I preferred BBC Asia. The CNN commentators will sometimes talk over their own experts! For a good overall view of a world event, I like Time magazine. It takes about a week to sort out and summarize a big event.

• chickpea
    chickpea

the news hour on PBS, which on our local public television network, is preceded by BBC America

in depth segments of leading news events with intelligent interviews/discussions that are non-shrill, unlike that irritating talking-over-each-other blather so popular on cable programs.... none of those multiple screen things with the brady bunch-esque array of talking heads.... talk about your yada yada

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

I'm surprised no one has mentioned C-SPAN for Congressional coverage. It requires you to care enough to actually pay attention to a debate and invest some time into your responsibilities as a citizen, so most Americans don't care, but I love it. Same goes for my state's public affairs network. I can't stand listening to commentators or watching graphics over a debate, so it's perfect for me.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Research databases are the best way to find information. Most ex-JWs don't know about them because of not having higher education, but they are a wonderful resource.

You can join one for a limited amount of time, download to your computer all the articles you want to read, and then read them at your leisure. I am including one link, but EBSCOhost is a great one also, which I believe can be accessed through most public libraries.

http://www.questia.com/

• mf6
    mf6

I agree there is no such thing as "unbaised" news. The closest magazine I've seen, and my favorite, is The Economist. It's quite a bit to go thru each week (100 pages, and fairly complex articles). They are conservative in a way, criticizing what they feel is excessive government spending. But they are also quite moderate. I am a fiscal conservative and enjoy reading their articles about the world economy. They do cover the entire world on a weekly basis.

They endorsed John Kerry and Barack Obama in the last two US presidential elections. While endorsing Obama, shortly after the election and at times since, they have criticized him for various reasons. This has confused some in the US, who don't understand that you can endorse a person in an election but then disagree with some of their policies.

They describe themselves as "Liberal in the classical sense - endorsing freedom of expression and a free economy."

mf6

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit