Anyone in the New England Area want to see a wrestling show and donate to Silent Lambs?...

by Tuesday 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Hey Folks,

So I have a show coming up in West Warwick, RI on 5/28. You can check out the website www.thencwonline.com in the upcoming events section for all the details. It's going to be a great show. The promoter in the interest of getting attendance up for the venue (which is notoriously hard to get advertisments out for) is offering that any performer selling tickets can keep $2 of the ticket price for themselves. In my case I've decided that any tickets that I sell I'll be giving my $2 to Silent Lambs.

If anyone wants to attend a killer wrestling show, see a *caugh* Famous *caugh* Youtube personality, and have part of their money go to a worthy cause send me PM with an e-mail that I can follow up with, You can also find me on facebook if you want to communicate through there. There's also a link to the event on facebook check under NCW Spring Slam!

Hope to see alot of ... er... anonymous faces :)

• StandFirm
    StandFirm

Wouldn't you rather help starving children than the ex-JWs' version of the National Enquirer?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

at StandFirm

• Evidently Apostate
    Evidently Apostate

tuesday, i live near you but i am not a wrestling fan and donating to silent lambs is a great idea.

stand firm, you will help a starving child but not a site that trys to help abused ones? are you Theo J's ghost?

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Stand Firm - Looking to increase awareness. I don't need the $2 I'm going to get off the tickets so why not increase awareness of the INCREDIBLE problem of child molestation in the organization while getting people to check out a great wrestling show.

It's a win-win for everyone. I volunteer at the local Red Cross when I want to help hungry people, I do it at least once a month.

• koolaid-man
    koolaid-man

GOOD FOR YOU TUESDAY. I can not come but I will talk it up on my conference call.

• StandFirm
    StandFirm

Tuesday, I think it's great that you want to give to charity. Wanting to protect children from abuse is a great cause. But I don't think donating to Silentlambs is the way to do it.

Silentlambs is very sensationalistic and has been dishonest many times. Just one example:

Claim: Silentlambs says: "Public relations representatives for the Watchtower Organization have stated to media they will now take witnesses to separate incidents and take action in congregations. This became a policy instituted when silentlambs.org pressed the issue on child abuse." http://www.silentlambs.org/answers/index.cfm (under the so-called "Myth 3")

Fact: Silentlambs started in 2000. http://www.silentlambs.org/education/Pedophilesamoungus.htm

Fact: The 1991 elders' book states on page 119: "If there is another witness to the same type of sin on the part of the accused, this would be basis for forming a judicial committee."

Since Silentlambs' founder claims to have been an elder, he must have lied in his claim shown above. Do you really want to support a proven liar?

One more example. Silentlambs writes:

"Over the years silentlambs has reported on the consistent issue of JW father murdering their children. In JW theology they are taught that life on this earth is corrupted by Satan. Everyone and everything is tainted and thus something to be avoided. The only solution as directed by their theology is to escape to the “Paradise Earth” that God will provide after the end of the world in the immediate future. There are basically two ways to make it to the “Paradise Earth” one way it to wait for the ‘soon to come’ end of the world and survive into the “Paradise Earth” and the second way to is have an innocent death in this world to see a quick resurrection into the paradise earth. When JW father faces financial downturn, divorce, or other typical stresses that appear to make life hopeless the simple solution is to take the lives of their children. By doing so, while seeing themselves as corrupted, they are providing the “escape” to a better world and in their minds actually helping their children no longer exist in Satan’s world. It is a classic case of theology gone wrong. Sadly in many cases where children are murdered by fathers there is often a link to Jehovah’s Witness theology." http://silentlambs.org/Lafathermurder.htm

I am sure many posters even here know that is a gross distortion of what we believe.

In view of the above, why not donate to a charity that really cares about children in any religion (or no religion) and not one that clearly wants to only oppose the Witnesses and thinks this is the way to do it?

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    If there is another witness to the same type of sin on the part of the accused, this would be basis for forming a judicial committee."

Stand Firm, this means there has to be another victim before anything is done. This is still a horrible policy.

What if there's no witness to the child's accusation but they have a doctor's report showing that abuse took place?

That doesn't qualify as a second witness does it? It would just be waiting for a second victim to speak up, right?

Sorry man, this is a horrible policy that needs to change. I know there's an organization www.ajwrb.org which is active Jehovah's Witnesses wanting to change the policy on blood. If there were an organization of active Jehovah's Witnesses that wanted to change this policy I would be donating to them.

Unfortunately it seems that most JWs just want to bury their head in the sand and pretend it doesn't happen, that elder's don't advise that you'd be "bringing reproach upon Jehovah's name" to go to the authorities or only will even say something if there's a reporting law in the state.

Stand Firm, do you think it's a good policy that if a child comes forward saying they were molested you should wait until another child comes forward to take action? What if your child was the first one, would you think the elders did the right thing by not acting until your friend's child was molested?

Sorry, not buying what you're selling Stand Firm. If it's the organization that's bothering you that I'm donating to then point out another one that is specifically about changing the molestation policy in the JW organization and I'll match whatever I get in ticket sales that I donate to Silent Lambs and send it to that organization too. I'd say I'd be donating to RAINN but I already donate to them once a month.

• StandFirm
    StandFirm

A Witness can go directly to the police in a case of child molestation, even if by a fellow Witness. The elders cannot do forensics, etc., but the secular legal sytem can. Anything like that uncovered during the trial can serve as a second witness to the fact that somebody is a child molester. So even after only one child is molested (although usually more than one is already abused by the time the person is exposed), the person can be disfellowshipped. And, no matter what, since freedom to go to the police is absolute, the molester should be in jail.

Sources:
    ""Never suggest to anyone that they should not report an allegation of child abuse to the police or other authorities. If you are asked, make it clear that whether to report the matter to the authorities or not is a personal decision for each individual to make and that there are no congregation sanctions for either decision. That is, no elder will criticize anyone who reports such an allegation to the authorities."- http://silentlambs.org/education/boe_ltr.pdf
    "Also, should further wrongdoing come to light during the trial it would be necessary for the matter to be re-examined, as is true of any judicial matter when additional wrongdoing is discovered."-p. 4, http://silentlambs.org/education/13092boe.cfm

But I believe you missed the point of what I was saying. Silentlambs claims that the current policy was a result of their pursuing the matter, even those this is a clear lie since this policy existed at least as early as 1991 and Silenlambs didn't exist until 2000. They also lied about Witness doctrine causing men to murder their families.

Do you want to donate to a proven liar?
    Maybe you could donate here instead: snapnetwork.org

This website is an excellent resource for telling the other side of the story than Silentlambs': http://thirdwitness.com/childabuse/default.html

• yknot
    yknot

Standfirm,

Sweety, Tuesday feels like this is a good cause .....

You disagree obviously.

However for as strongly as you feel such, he is content to do so...

Don't make an issue or try to sell him when it is clear he has mind set......

Agree to disagree because that is as good as this is going to get, don't exasperate him or yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit