Jehovahs Witness Suicides

by sister x 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Earnest
    Earnest

Also illuminating would be a comparison of the data for converted Jehovah's Witness with those for subjects who have derived their faith from their parents. The study does not shed light on the question of symptom or defence mechanism, but suggests that either the Jehovah's Witnesses sect tends to attract an excess of pre-psychotic individuals who may then break down, or else being a Jehovah's Witness is itself a stress which may precipitate a psychosis. Possibly both of these factors may operate together.

Karl Marx once remarked that religion was the opiate of the people. Is it possible that the schizophrenic, with his thoughts in a turmoil and plagued with doubts about his identity and ideas of reference, is able to gain the support of a non-pharmacological tranquillizer from membership of a sect such as the Jehovah's Witnesses? If so, mental health workers and religious leaders should perhaps take a fresh look at the structure and function of these and other related groups.

Thanks, Aussie Oz, for bringing that study to our attention, and for your very personal comments. This is a limited study and the conclusion of the study (above) does question whether the structure and function of the JW attracts schizophrenics as it offers identity and a frame of reference which is described as a "non-pharmacological tranquilizer", rather than being the cause or precipitate of mental breakdown. It would also have been of interest to have seen the admission rates in the same study of other religious movements in order to compare like with like.

My own opinion is that the movement attracts those "plagued with doubts about identity" whether or not this is mental illness. And while such ones remain believers and involved in the movement I think that it can be a real help to finding ones place in the world. The problem which sometimes results in suicide is when self-worth has become dependent on this identity and is then lost by self-doubt or "sin".

• Intel
    Intel

I went through a terrible phase of depression and suicidal thoughts and went to see a doctor, specialized in mental health.

She was a lovely, caring older lady and in one of the visits, she asked me why so many witnesses where having problems

with depressions, if I could explain to her if there was something that would worry us as a group. I was an elder at that time,

and thought she had "something against us", but as it seems she was worried and wanted to help, but could not understand

why some many witnesses started visiting her. I later found out that her name/address was being "forwarded" recommended,

"under the table" from one witness to the other. She was visited by bethelites, and some "higher ups"....I will not tell her name :-P

as she is somewhat "famous" among some witnesses...This smacked me in the head! I never had depressions before I entered

the borg, and they are blown away since ever I faded (inactive)....my good luck and life happiness ARE FULLY RESTORED! Now, my

mother says that whoever leaves jehober and the WT$ becomes sick, dark, dead whatever s%$#& they can come up with. I tell her

its not true - look at me, but she says "exceptions don't count", the "majority" will basically kill themselves and become drug lords.

• What Now?
    What Now?

In the past year, two of our friends have committed suicide. One was a younger guy about twenty years old who had never been baptized, the other was a sister in her late forties, the wife of an elder and a real pillar in the congregation. I am amazed at the amount of mental illness that I see among Jehovahs Witnesses. In my congregation alone I would say a third of the publishers at least suffer from depression and anxiety, to the point that they miss meetings and field service regularly. I myself battled depression for a few years. Of course, mental illness can be caused by a variety of things, but I cant help but agree with that study that said that "being a Jehovahs Witness is itself a stress".

• sizemik
    sizemik

There is reason to believe the problem is getting worse . . . In my 30 years of involvement I was close to 12 people who suicided . . . the numbers increased toward the end of that time.

• exjw1978
  • aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Many JWs who commit suicide do so after being DFd. At that time they are no longer JWs, so the reason given for their actions is that "they left Jehovah". So the society and elders alike say good riddence, and the suicide just reinforces they did the right thing by dfing that person.

And even if they are not DFed, as an elder once told me "Jehovah's witnesses, do not commit suicide, it does not happen.

Once they commit suicide, they are no longer a JW"

The society dusts their shoes off and accepts no responsibility

• designs
    designs

When the GB and Watchtower writiers continually put the medical profession at odds with their Faith and when Mental Health experts are viewed with suspicion you are going to have a population of Believers who need help and could be helped early on getting to late critical stages.

• TD
  • daringhart13
    daringhart13

There have been 4 suicides that I know of in the Pacific NW in the last two years...... disturbing.

Even worse is that the 'elders' will go behind closed doors and pull out their cliches to justify or gloss over the deaths.

Comments like "......poor guy was always depressed"..... or ....." ....they were always crazy"

Its never a big deal. It always comes back to protecting themselves and the 'organization'

I wish people would RUN

• Earnest
    Earnest

Just had a read through your earlier thread, TD, and note the point that Scully made :

One of the saddest things I realized was that for JWs, death is a viable option.
    • If a person must choose between having a blood transfusion and saving their life, they are better off dead.
    • If a woman must choose between being raped and being left alive, or screaming and being raped and murdered, they are better off dead.
    • In Malawi, if JW had to choose between carrying a 25ยข identification card and being executed for treason, they were better off dead.

And that's true. Death is not something feared by a "faithful" JW because of the resurrection. It is not viewed as the end of life but just a short interval of oblivion from which we will either wake or not. I can see that somebody in deep pain may well be willing to take that chance with or without mental illness being a factor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit