Paradise becomes a Prison

by JAVA 6 Replies latest jw friends

• JAVA
    JAVA

While doing some research, I came across a CNN.com article, Nov. 18, 1998, about the Jonestown Massacre, and reflections 20 years after. One subtopic, "Paradise becomes a prison," caused flashbacks from my time in the Tower. Towards the end, I felt like a prisoner serving time. As former POWs (Prisoners of Watchtower) the question is not, "How long were you in the Truth," but instead, "How long were you in for?"

I suppose my late and post-Tower reactions are typical, but wonder if others felt the same way? Did the JW "paradise become a prison?"

• badwillie
    badwillie

JAVA -
    Coincidentally, look at this note i just emailed a friend:

"..there really is NO way to get through to them with critical information. That's why they are considered a cult.
    The WTS always defends itself against that charge by saying that cults take people away to live on a compound or camp or something so that people from the outside can't get to them to try to get them out of the group. Then they say that 'we are not like that, JW's live in your community, they are your neighbours..' etc etc.
    But mentally they are all in a camp with high walls. You can't get in, you can't get out. You get shot trying to get over the wall."

I was in their camp for 24 years.

-Badwillie.

• JBean
    JBean

Yup...I'm in agreement with you... when Jesus said "the truth shall set you free..." he for sure couldn't have meant the JW's!!! There's gotta be a better way... I'm just struggling to find what that is.

• Scully
    Scully

badwillie writes:

But mentally they are all in a camp with high walls. You can't get in, you can't get out. You get shot trying to get over the wall.

Whenever I hear the song "Hotel California" by the Eagles, I think of the cult mentality of the JWs. Especially the lines:

Welcome to the Hotel California
    Such a lovely place....
    Plenty of room at the Hotel California....

You can check out any time you like,
    But you can never leave...

25 years for me.

Love, Scully

In the desert things find a way to survive. Secrets are like this too. They work their way up through the sands of deception so men can know them. - The X Files

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

Yes it was a prison for me. I was contantly hating myself, because I had no desire to go out on service and I found the meeting boring. Now that I have left I feel so much better and happier.

"I have so much love to give, but no one to give it to."

William H. Macy - "Magnolia"

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

I'm still within the prison camp. I have engaged my escape strategy. Right now, I am scaling the wall and it's deep into night. The guards have spotted me, although at this moment they don't recognize me. They are aiming their rifles and my temple is in the dead-center of the scopes.
    Will I escape? If not, I'm going to die trying!

• DanielHaase
    DanielHaase

I always loved how the organization made it sound as though they thought up the whole "utopian" idea on their own. All of a sudden our physical bodes will run forever, kids will playing with lions, no more sickness, war, blah blah. I remember my mother saying when i was 11 when we were talking about me one day driving, "(sigh) well, I feel sure the new system will be here before you're old enough to get your lisence". Look at me now, mom!

"Brother, you better get down on your knees and pay...a thousand more fools are being born every f***ing day" -Bad Religion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit