Cant get over this

by dogisgod 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

I really can't get over that there are more than over 50 "gnostic" books that have every qualification that the other books in the New Testament have and people won't consider them because it doesn't jive with "their" dogmas. I really like the book of Thomas.

I also consider Paul the first big time hijacker of Jesus intent.

• sir82
    sir82

To be fair, the generally accepted gospels & most letters attributed to Paul were written in the 1st century, just a generation or 2 (there's that word again!) after Jesus' life, while the gnostic books were generally written many decades or even centuries afterward.

Not that age does, or should, necessarily make one book more valid than another, but it is at least a reasonable argument that the older books are somehow "more authentic" as they are closer in time to the life of the person they talk about.

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

I would like to read some of these - never have been exposed to them. Do you have a list? I will try to find the Thomas one you mention and get started on this endeavor. Some time ago Stephen Searle did send me a CD with several on it I believe but I haven't taken the time to go through it. Did remember the one by Barnabus too sounded interesting.

And have to comment on your name too - it brought smiles to my face as I remembered the first time I quit a Bible Study with the sisters way back in the early 60's because I wanted to become active in a Dog Club and edit their monthly journal. Also I was busy writing a column for Kennel Review at the time. She told me I was spelling God backwards. Thought it very clever on her part - and have never forgotten that moment when I tried spelling dog forward - Lightbulbs! Nevertheless she didn't get me to change course then. I resumed the study many years later but not with her.

• bob1999
    bob1999

What, may I ask, is your problem with Paul?

Peace

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

My favourites are the Gospel of Thomas and The Gospel of Mary Magdalene.

Salty: If you are interested, Elaine Pagels writes great overviews of gnostic literature. I've read many of her books.

• AnneB
    AnneB

A friend just referred me to christianbooks.com, I pass the info on to you. This link should get you to all the material you could ever hope to read:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find/1212217420?event=HPT&category=Academic&N=1107463&Ne=1000000&Nso=1&Nu=product.endeca_rollup&Ns=product.number_sold

Look to the left and take note of the categories of Academic materials, that should get you started!

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

http://www.sacred-texts.com/

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/index.html

These are two sites with free downloads of apocrapha

Interestingly, some Bible scholars like Elaine Pagels believe that the Gospel of Thomas was written before the Gospel of John, sometime in the first century.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I also consider Paul the first big time hijacker of Jesus intent.

Amazing, I just posted something similar on another thread. Paul was the first big apostate from what Jesus taught. The stuff he wrote wasn't what Jesus was all about at all.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

To be fair, the generally accepted gospels & most letters attributed to Paul were written in the 1st century, just a generation or 2 (there's that word again!) after Jesus' life, while the gnostic books were generally written many decades or even centuries afterward.

Not that age does, or should, necessarily make one book more valid than another, but it is at least a reasonable argument that the older books are somehow "more authentic" as they are closer in time to the life of the person they talk about.

I don't think this is the case. Got any links?

• bob1999
    bob1999

"The stuff he wrote wasn't what Jesus was all about at all."

What stuff?

I only ask because I find Paul's message so positive.

Salvation through grace not works, confidence in our salvation (then end of Romans 8), tolerance of others (Romans 14).

Peace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit