Ex-JW Vicci Martinez on TV Show "The Voice"

by Justitia Themis 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

This young woman has an excellent voice. She and I were in the same congregation. Her family came to my youngest daughter's high school graduation party, and Vicci (Vickie) sang there. I have some incredible home video of her singing with her band at a party we attended at her family's home. I hope she does well.

On the show tonight she mentioned her father's passing and that she came from a 'really religious family.'

http://viccimartinez.com/

• heathen
    heathen

where's the link ?

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Where is what link?

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

If you mean to the show, here it is. However, they are selling the music videos.

http://www.nbc.com/the-voice/music/

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks J.T ! What a talent the girl has !

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I agree Wobble. My husband ran into her brother earlier this week, and her brother said she can't tell the family how far she went in the show. However, she was sequestered back there for five months, so I think she went pretty far.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Wow that's so crazy...we watched last night, and when she made that comment I wondered, "what if she was a dub"...knowing that any other religious family would also be hard to come out to. Now I am rooting for her even more!! Thanks for letting us know!

She said she was 16, (I think) when she told her parents...I take it she was never baptized if her parents are supporting her? Does she have contact with her JW mom?

Thanks again JT

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Sorry I meant "...if her parents supported her" past tense, I realize she said her Dad passed away..and cudos to him if he was a dub, but told her to "follwer her heart." What a gift that would be.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Her father was an active JW that especially struggled because he didn't view women as stupid and greatly respected his wife, which went against both his culture (Hispanic) and religion. We used to go out for margaritas on an almost weekly basis. He always supported/shielded his wife and kids against the congregation; he was very progressive.

Both Vicki and one of her brother's are gay. Neither parent ever turned them out. She still has a warm relationship with her mother, who often goes to see her perform and records the performance. BTW, she writes her own stuff too, and she self-taught herself to play the guitar.

Her younger sister got engaged to a bi-polar, severely depressed brother, but she came to her senses and broke off the engagement. He barricaded himself in his apartment for several days and told people he was contemplating suicide because she wouldn't marry him. The elders in the Spanish congregation publicly reproved her for "breaking her promise." She was so guilt ridden she ended up marrying him after all. It was, of course, a disaster, and they are now divorced.

I miss being able to associate with her mom...one of the few JWs I actually miss.

• WhereWasI
    WhereWasI

Hi Justitia, I was thinking... I wonder if her Dad had doubts about the JW's for a long while because he always supported Vicci and her musical ambitions. Who does that in the way of JW thinking and if your really on board with it? Along with his progressive thinking and protection of his family...remember how he had such a cool and understated manner? He could get away with saying things that would give the more pious JW's reason to wince but he was so respected that no one would take offense.

Another reason I wonder if he had doubts for quite awhile before his illness and subsequent death is the fact that he gave Vicci his blessing to go after her goals, I can't remember how Vicci worded it in her introduction but it seems like her Dad definetley accepted her in every way.

Anyway, I know we are both so proud of her and her accomplishments in spite of the JW indoctrination.

BTW, weekly Margaritas? Why wasn't I invited? Oh yeah, Ldrnomo was an elder and I was his sidekick.

WhereWasI

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit