Charles Russell's Last Days

by lovelylil 68 Replies latest jw friends

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

Interesting that someone else picked up the same messages I saw in the text - the almost "erotic" tone in the narrative. Ugly thought. But on the other hand my first marriage turned out to be to a guy who was "bisexual." I divorced him, needless to say. But nevertheless the experience now causes me to pick up on these tendencies in people. And then when I watched the video's of his talks that have been preserved it gave me a "very uncomfortable" feeling. And then when I read the transcript of his divorce - it came out he and his wife "never had had sex." Hmm - very very strange behavior, I'd say. At the same time there were inuendo's that he showed affectionate behavior to another young female in the home - supposedly a daughter father type relationship. She used to sit on his knee. Turned out her age was 25. Hmm again! If I were Maria I wouldn't have been a bit happy about the situation either. But there is something about this character that is just not right. Not saying he ever committed any wrongful acts per se but he gave off vibes I just don't feel good about.

That aside there are many good points one can find about him also. No human being is ALL good or ALL ugly. So I try to keep looking for the positive but sometimes the negative overpowers - it did in this account for me.

• snowbird
    snowbird

It was then that he stood again and said, "Please make me a Roman toga." I did not understand what he meant, but did not like to have him repeat, because he was so weak. His voice had become so weak that he had to repeat nearly everything he said. I had said to him at several times, "Dear Brother Russell, I do not like to ask you to repeat anything (It had always been my custom to listen to him so closely in all his dictation as not to require any repetition); but your voice is so weak that one can scarcely hear you." He would always repeat until at last the repetition would do no good, after which he made signs. Finally the signs failed. I said, "Brother Russell, I do not understand what you mean." He said, "I will show you." He had me take a clean sheet and turn it down twelve inches from the top; and then a second one the same. Placing his left hand on his right shoulder, he said, "Fasten them together here." Having in my pocket a paper of safety-pins which I had recently purchased, it was easy for me to hold the sheets together on his right shoulder and at the same time reach into my pocket and get a safety-pin. The sheets being fastened with the pin, as he had directed, he said, "Now fasten them together on the other shoulder." This I did. There he stood, one sheet extending from his neck to his feet in front and the other in the back, fastened together on his two shoulders, and folded together at the edges. He stood erect before me for a moment without saying a word, then lay down on the couch on his back, closed his eyes, and lay there before me as in a shroud, a perfect picture of death. I sat on the side of the bed watching him, beholding him, and the thought of death went through my mind. It was difficult for me to get the thought into my head that Brother Russell was going to die. I could not exactly believe it, even now. It all seemed so foreign to what we had expected. However, I know now that the Lord was gradually teaching us both from the time we had left San Antonio until now that Brother Russell's end was drawing on apace. How much Brother Russell may have understood or meant by these movements we may not surely know. They were at least the wisest things that could be done in his case; but to us they mean far more, and we believe that the Lord so arranged. The toga was worn by Roman officials and sometimes by priests, and sometimes symbolized victory and peace, and at other times that the one wearing it had fulfilled his vows. To the writer's mind all these things are meant. He had fulfilled his vows! he had gained the victory! he was at peace! Thenceforth there was laid up for him a Crown of Righteousness, which the Lord would shortly place upon his noble brow.

From Pastor Russell's Last Days by Menta Sturgeon.

Syl

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Thenceforth there was laid up for him a Crown of Righteousness, which the Lord would shortly place upon his noble brow.

How would someone know they ARE getting a crown of righteousness, without word from the Lord? I agree with syl. this is very presumteous. When the Lord returns he gives the crown to all those "belonging to him", but it is up to him to decide who these really are. Like the Lord says "not everyone saying Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven".

• moshe
    moshe

I saw the mention of Cystitis- namely a bladder/unrinary tract infection, which if untreated can eventually destroy the kidneys- death comes within a week or two after the kideys fail-

-renal failure symptoms--

As the by-products of the body's chemistry accumulate in renal failure, these substances cause an array of symptoms. You almost always lose energy and become sleepy and lethargic, but you may find it hard to sleep at night. Over time, the typical patient just slips into deeper and deeper sleep and gradually loses consciousness completely. However, early on, mild confusion and disorientation are common, and usually require only reassurance as treatment. Sometimes, though, upsetting hallucinations or agitation arise. These can be treated very quickly with tranquilizers and anti-anxiety drugs. Certain minerals in the blood-stream can also accumulate and cause twitching of muscles, tremors and shakes, and even seizures.

I believe that Russell's kidneys had probably stopped working before he left Bethel. His doctor probably told him that his situation was hopeless, but why did he chose to undertake a strenuous trip that undoubtably killed him sooner? At least I understand why he didn't seek out a doctor or hospital, but to decide to die on a train trip out west? His gradual decline in Kidney fuction might have brought on some confusion/dementia and who was willing to go against Pastor Russell's decsions? A shot of pennicillin would have cured the old man six months earlier---

• Violia
    Violia

I attended a Muslim funeral ( not sure they call it a funeral but whatever) and saw they wrap their dead in white cloth . I think it was a sign of purity.

Jesus is sometimes shown in something resembling a toga . Russel did have a God complex, and yes the account did sound erotic.

• scary21
    scary21

Yes....went back and read the whole article . Snowbird and Lovelytlil. your soooo right. Did you notice how they thought it was fitting that he die in Oct.

What's up with that? Jw are still hung up on the month of Oct. And talk about hero worship....and that guy laying on him all night to keep him warm, face to face no less. It was so pleasurable......to remove his shoes.......pleasurable???????

Sherry

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

It has to be accepted that the people who chronically witnessed the death of Russell were admired by him has something unusually special

of a man. Thats being the case you could expect that the actual events of his passing were embellished to support that

persona which was built around himself.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

These quotes by Sturgeon show the extent of the adoration of Russell's followers. A little creepy if you ask me;

I sat on the side of the bed watching him, beholding him

We had observed the approaching signs of death before calling in the trainmen. These continued until the finger nails became discolored, the cold perspiration settled upon that noble forehead, his hands and feet grew cold, his face indicated a break, he drew his feet up in the bed like Jacob of old, his quiet breathing became less frequent, his drooping eyelids opened like the petals of a flower and disclosed those eyes--those wonderful eyes! in all their magnificence --that we will never forget. Presently he breathed no more; we pressed our lips upon his noble brow, and knew that he had gone to be forever with and like the Lord, whom he loved so well.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Death notice printed in Zion's WT regarding Russell. No mention made of a large funeral. Does anyone know how many attended it? I only ask because Russell was supposedly a world wide preacher, so much so he was identified wherever he went by train. That is what his secretary Spurgean says about Russell. If this is true, you would imagine his funeral to be standing room only, wouldn't you?

DEATH OF CHARLES T. RUSSELL

----------

The sudden death of Pastor Charles Taze Russell, Editor of THE WATCH TOWER, has created a profound impression upon his many friends throughout the world. Hundreds of letters and telegrams received, further evidence the love and esteem in which he was held, and express unqualified desire to cooperate in continuing the great cause for which he stood so many years.

Brother Russell left Brooklyn in the evening of October 16, to fill appointments in the West and Southwest, but was obliged to start homeward before his scheduled time, owing to ill health.

It was on a Sante Fe train at Pampa, Tex., that he died. Brother Menta Sturgeon, who accompanied him on the trip as his Secretary, telegraphed the information to the headquarters of the WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY at Brooklyn, adding that "he died a hero."

The body lay in state at Bethel Home Saturday, and at The Temple throughout the day Sunday.

In the afternoon at the hour of 2, funeral service was held for the congregation, and in the evening a service was conducted for the public.

At about midnight the body was taken to Allegheny, Pa., where in the Carnegie Hall, at 2 in the afternoon of Monday, service was held by the Pittsburgh congregation, of which he had been resident Pastor for many years.

Interment took place in Rosemont United Cemeteries at Allegheny, in the Bethel Family plot, according to his request.

We rejoice to know that instead of sleeping in death, as the saints of old, he is numbered among those whose "works follow with him." He has met the dear Lord in the air, whom he so loved as to lay down his life faithfully in His service.

==========

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

ngI have trouble believing Menta is male. Does anyone think that perhaps this is mostly dated writng? Maybe people wrote in a different manner. It certainly gives me the creep. The Witnesses don't worship Jesus but they can worship Russell. My great grandfather and great uncle(?) were active in the Bible Students. We inheirited the literat ure. I came upon it accidentally and immediately ran to my mother. It espooked the living daylights out of me. Everything I was raised that the WT condemned was trumpeted on the front page.

I wanted to be safe and have the mags burned. When my father died, we agreed we wanted all the Witness stuff in the garbage or away. Silly me, we donated them to the local KH.

I love history. This Witness stuff is fascinating. Even if I were never a Witness, it would be interesting. Somehow I doubt that current Witnesses would have any concerns if they saw a Russell era publication with spooks and cross, given as Christmas gifts, and the present WT. It is a small enough area that one could truly be a history buff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit