Un Bel Di.

by Englishman 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Anyone here who enjoys listening to opera music?

I was just recalling the film “Pretty Woman” when Richard Gere takes Julia Roberts to see ‘La Traviata’. He tells her that she will either love or hate it. Sure enough, when the heroine sings ‘Amami Alfredo’ she realises that another mental window has opened for her.

20 years ago I detested opera music, until, late one night I was driving home and fiddling around with the radio to find something that I wanted to listen to. I had a top of the range stereo fitted, and suddenly the whole car was filled with the most emotive music that I had ever heard. It actually had a physical effect on my whole body, almost as though a rush of warm champagne was coursing through my veins. I was astonished and listened hard at the close of the music to see what was being played, but it was not announced.

Then I started searching for the piece, but I didn’t know what it was called, nor did I know the composer. So, I started to buy albums of opera music, mainly compilations of favourite bits, hoping that I would come across the music that I had heard whilst driving. All the time, of course, I was hearing other works and soon began to develop a fondness for Verdi and Puccini. I learned to differentiate between a good soprano and an indifferent one, how a good soprano can reach a dizzily high note and still keep a melodious quality. Anyone who has heard Lesley Garret sing ‘The Nuns Chorus’ will know what I mean.

Not so long ago, Her Ladyship and I went to see our first live opera. It was ‘Madame Butterfly’. I found myself sat next to 2 bikers who literally were creaking in their heavy leather gear. When ‘One Fine Day’ (not the Chiffons!!!) came up, the guy sat nearest me wept unashamedly, it was such a moving experience.

So, here I sit typing away, lots of my favourite stuff via Winamp, as Lesley G once again smoothes my fevered brow with her excellent voice. Don’t ask me why I’m telling you all this, I just was interested to know if anyone else has my love of operatic music?

Englishman.

Truth exists;only falsehood has to be invented. -Georges Braque

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Love opera. Try the Ring operas, Wagner.

La Traviata is awesome, love that one. Nessun Dorma's great, too.

I heard that one January morning five years ago. The local classical station was playing it. I got in may car when it started. It was snowing.

I pulled into a park, and drove right into an open clearing. I turned off the engine, but turned up the opera. No one was around.

It was before a meeting. I remember being so moved by it. Just listening to opera in a park on a Sunday morning before religion, lonely and happy. It was one of those religious experiences.

So, I LOVE opera. Really touches a deep part of me.

BTW, I skipped the meeting to listen to the whole thing....

If you guys like classical, Carl Haas is a guy who has a daily program. It's a wonderful show. Try your local classical station, I'm sure they carry it.

ashi

• Lesley
    Lesley

ashi,

So, I LOVE opera. Really touches a deep part of me.
    I totally agree!

Englishman,

Lesley Garrett is just brilliant!

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I love opera, have been to several, they are awesome. My all time favourite is the Phantom of the Opera, it rocks.

PROCRASTINATION IS THE THIEF OF TIME !!

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi Englishman,

Okay, Okay... I confess!... I have a lifelong obsession with the opera. Even when I was in Bethel, I scraped together what I could from my pitiful $14 a month allowance to stand in the farthest reaches of the Family Circle at the old Met. Corelli, Tebaldi, Bergonzi, Tucker, Sutherland, Schwartzkopf, et al, were among the greats whose performances I witnessed.

Do you know New York? In thre great subway strike (of 1966 I believe), a Bethelite friend of mine and I walked from 124 Columbia Heights all the way to 40th and Broadway and back again, just to experience L'Elisir d'Amore with Freni, Kraus and Corena... fabulous.

Also, one of the most famous ``apostates' of the Ray Franz ``witchhunt'' era -- Cris Sanchez (then single-- a great guy, by the way) was a prodigious opera fanatic. I

• Celia
    Celia

Who composed : les pecheurs de perles ?
    "Je crois entendre encore..." this is the most beautiful song and melody...

• Englishman
    Englishman

Celia,

It was Bizet.

Englishman.

Truth exists;only falsehood has to be invented. -Georges Braque

• Celia
    Celia

Yes, Bizet
    thanks EMan.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Ravel - 'Les Enfant Et Les Sortilege'

Ricard Strauss - 'Salome' ( Oscar Wilde wrote the lyrics )

Puccini - 'Turandot' ( of course )

Saint-Saens - Samson et Delila

Some CD's on my desk at present -- HS

• JanH
    JanH

Oh yes. Watched Marriage of Figaro on Tv this xmas. I love the humour, as well as the music.

Apart from Mozart, Verdi is my favourite. The slave chorus of Nebucco still has my spine shivering every time. Beautiful.

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit