What is the best thing to say to a JW

by I quit! 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Q.: What is the best thing to say to a JW?

A.: "Nice hat."

• I quit!
    I quit!

That is what I say most of the time Designs because I'm usually in a hurry or can't be bothered dealing with them.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I've been trying to formulate a "one best response" as well over the past few weeks.

You just never know what will set off the trigger, someone posted the video here a few weeks back of the JW who was trying to explain who God is, I noticed the trigger was the phrase "governing body" As soon as the guy said that she just replied "apostate, apostate" and started walking away. I found that pretty amazing, you question the bible, Jesus, God, etc with them, but when you say GB she shut down immediately.

I'd say it should be more personalized, not just one response for each JW. A young JW should be informed about 1975, they may have no clue. Something as simple as "I found the JWs to be an interesting group until I found out about their end-of-the-world 1975 prophecy"

I'd love to ask one of them to pull out their reasoning book and have them turn to page 97 where it has this gem

*** rs p. 97 pars. 2-3 Dates ***
    In the meantime, the very difficult conditions foretold for "the last days" would prevail. As shown under the heading "Last Days," those events have been clearly in evidence since 1914. Before the last members of the generation that was alive in 1914 will have passed off the scene, all the things foretold will occur, including the "great tribulation" in which the present wicked world will end.—Matt. 24:21, 22, 34.

They will stammer, hem and haw, and basically get the heck out of there, but maybe someday they will think it over.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I like "nice hat" even if they aren't waring one.

If I tell them I used to be one of them but "I quit" it sents them running. Great way to make them go away if that is your goal.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Best thing to say to a JW?

"Goodbye"

• minimus
    minimus

Say, "so you think you're never gonna die, huh?"

• jgnat
    jgnat

BibleStudent, I am going to answer your specific questions, but I am going to put it in context first. As a regular Christian married to a JW, I could engage a JW any time I want. There are a half-dozen sisters who would jump at the chance to start a book study with me. All I have to say is the word.

But I'm an old lady who hates to have her time wasted. I crave genuine discussions, where there is a meeting of minds. Though I am not as affected by the trigger words as ex-Witnesses are, I do recognize them. If I am accosted by a pioneer to engage them in a spiritual discussion, I am overwhelmed by the implications. Is there a chance to have a meeting of minds? How long would the discussion take? The chance that I could have any sort of impact is so minimal, I typically brush them off. If you met me at a Circuit Assembly, you would think me aloof and disinterested. That's my emotional fence.

I've advised exiting witnesses that are being harrassed for an answer, to reply, "Do you really want to know?", including a direct stare. Whenever I have tried this, the pioneer backs off. A discussion member took me up on the advice, and tried it on her Aunt. It backfired, as her Aunt really did want to know. What followed was a pleasant conversation where the exiting neice was able to unload how she really felt. A genuine conversation. As an added bonus, she had the Aunt's permission before she unloaded. Who can beat that?

For the random soliciting Witness at my bus stop, I use the direct stare again and say, "Not interested". A hit-and-run witness is no place for genuine connection.

I do seek out the fringe and disenfranchised at the Kingdom Hall. They are very much like my husband and have unique characteristics which pretty well kill any chances of advancement within the great Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. It is very easy to engage these people in regular conversations, without any reference to beliefs. I reinforce their delightful quirkiness every time we meet, and I reward them with genuine warmth.

Because of my particular craving and direct style, I am not up for the subtlety required to get through the Teach book. I tried that once and we didn't get past page three. I just won't be subtle about my personal beliefs (not having as much practice as the Witnesses at sublimating my personality), so I refuse to submit that the bible is the infallible word of God. I know what follows, you see. If I submit to this, then if I disagree with a Witness teaching, we'd have to hurl scriptures at each other and argue who was most accurate. Useless squabbling.

I'll engage an apologist on occassion here, just to test out some of my big arguments with the Watchtower Society. You will see, though, that within a few days the apologist retreats to a disjointed babble of cult trigger words that indicates that they have come a little unstrung. I've pushed my husband that far in the past, and it's a sight I don't want to repeat. Hence my preference for the Hassan method. I still maintain that djeggnogg is on the edge. He wouldn't protest so long and so hard if he didn't have doubts. Using Hassan's assessment method on dj, I'd say he doesn't have much voice anywhere. He also has problems with the blood policy. When engaging another poster about problems with the society, he's the one that brought up the blood doctrine. These are his keys out IMHO; finding a voice and admitting to doubts. Because if nothing else, he's a man of opinion. Should be a sports commentator or something.

What ideas do you have for talking to a JW if you are a former JW, for responding to a JW who knocks on your door,

If you get overwhelmed like I do, don't feel obligated to respond. What I would want to do (if I had the energy and patience) is invite them in for tea and biscuits. No way a productive conversation can happen on a doorstep. Which reminds me!

Respect general societal rules about intimacy! Share a little bit about yourself and invite the stranger to do the same. Only reveal to the same level as has been given. Witnesses tread over this all the time (part of the whole communal cult thing). Don't do it yourself! Don't let them! "That's a little personal, don't you think?" I've had pioneer ladies at first meeting asking what denomination I go to (likely so that they can trash it). "That's a little personal, don't you think?". This is also why I would never open with a scripture when talking to a Witness.

If you want to be up-front about your background, you could say something like, "Before we go any further, I thought you should know [insert history with Witnesses]. If you are uncomfortable sharing with me any further, I understand." Direct eye contact. You have nothing to be ashamed of.

...for a family member talking to a person who is in bible study, and

This reminds me of when my daughter was a sixteen year old know-it-all and dated a few losers. I knew if I came on heavy, I'd push her closer. I reinforced her intelligence and ability to make good decisions, and if she ever felt uncomfortable or if it was no longer working for her, she had no obligation. She left them on her own. I once met a Bible Study at the grocery store and had a few moments alone with him. I said basically the same thing, that he was a smart man and he would know if it was good for him or not. A sound byte only, based on our level of intimacy. Not sure that it worked. He changed congregations and last I heard he got baptized.

...for a non-JW friend talking to a JW?

Take the position of interested observer. Be their friend. Ask lots of questions. Don't let them weasel out of the hard questions.

• Heaven
    Heaven

"I'm not interested."

• Heaven
    Heaven

Actually, to get them thinking one question that would be good to ask is the following:

"If I become a Jehovah's Witness but then decide it isn't for me and leave in the future, will the friends I made still remain my friends?"

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

Charlie Brown Jr. says......

FU** OFF!!....

Crude....but effective!

Never a return Visit.... and I say it from the Heart

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit