Pangs of Conscience - June 2011 KM

by dozy 21 Replies latest jw friends

• dozy
    dozy

There is an article in the latest Kingdom Ministry about counting time spent in the ministry. One comment surprised me - it says that counting time wrongly can lead to "pangs of conscience". A bit of an OTT expression , I can't help thinking.

The only pangs the local pioneers are concerned about here are hunger pangs as they head to Dunkin Donuts for a 40 minute "break". Oh , and the Pangs - that Chinese student couple that have been studying for about 8 years without ever once turning up at the meeting.

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Very rarely is anything new written in their literature. And so it is with this. See OKM 10/74,

"When some question arises, ask yourself: Has this time been spent in the preaching activity? Or has it been spent doing something else that is not actually part of that work? Report all the time you conscientiously feel was used in the preaching work. The amount you report in comparison with others is not important. (Gal. 6:4) The important thing is that the love in your heart has moved you to share your faith with others. (Luke 6:45) What we report should give us joy and not pangs of conscience."

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

It occurred to me one day that if I am to punch a time card, I expect to be paid accordingly.

• sd-7
    sd-7

lol @ Publishing Cult. It's not rocket science--I just started my time when I got out of the car, and ended it when I got back to the car, except for return visits, when I'd count the transit time. After all, I'm giving a witness by being seen wearing a suit and tie on a Saturday morning--people see me at the light and say, "GAWD, DIS HEAH BE A MAN WHO LOVE DE LAAAAAWD!!!" And there you have it. No pangs of conscience for me.

--sd-7

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

When I was a pioneer and people would ask me if I had any difficulty getting in the time (90 hours at the time), I would tell them, "No, I start my time when the alarm goes off in the morning. After all, I'm getting ready for service aren't I?" I got a lot of blank stares until they figured out I was joking.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Every post of yours that I read, I hear it in Luna Lovegood's voice.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Actually, in the original draft the writer used "crisis of conscience," but the WT proofreaders made him change it.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

@ Lunatic Faith - LOL But I kid you not. I knew a pioneer during the 90hr times that confessed to actually doing that. I wondered why it seemed so easy for her. And yet here I struggled to get my time as a pioneer. I was never able to get my conscience to allow me to do it at the time. Now, I just think I would.

CoC

• Heaven
    Heaven

LOL @ willyloman!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think it would be much more honest if the witlesses were not so quick to judge others based on how much field circus they do. Suppose I sign up to pio-sneer (which I would not do). I find, in the middle of the month, that it is not going to be possible for me to actually make my time. What now? There is no graceful way to back down in the middle of the month. Rather, they are going to expect me to get my time in or die trying. This is quite likely the major reason people turn in fake time slips.

At the other end, you get those who don't want to be hounded. They know that they will be looked down on if they get less than 10 hours of field circus a month, and they can't reasonably do more than half that. The ones that Brother Hounder are looking at might be pressured to get "enough to keep the hounders off their backs", usually between 7 and 10 hours a month. And there are those who will supposedly favorably judge someone that is turning in times of 20+ hours a month, but they cannot get that many real hours in. The incentives for turning in fake time slips are obvious. Also, there is the obligatory one-hour a month to stay "active"--so, instead of simply turning in nothing (and getting a call from Brother Hounder), they will turn in a fake time slip.

I think the permanent solution to the problem of fake time slips is to make it worth it for the publishers to go out there. My rule of how much is enough remains unchanged: If you are going to get more benefit from the next unit of time you put in than what it is costing you, you should continue. At the point when the next unit of time is going to cost you more than you benefit, you should quit. If they want people putting in 200 real hours a month, they should make it so the cost doesn't exceed the real benefit until around 200 or 220 hours a month is reached. When the intersection between cost and benefit occurs at or below zero, you are asking for fake time slips.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit