A non-JW gets it!

by MrFreeze 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

In my attempt to seperate myself from the JW's completely, I am finding all kind of awesome people. Of course, if we are talking by JW's standards these people are "awful". Anywho, there are a couple of them who are absolutely fascinated with the fact that I used to be a JW.

The reason they are fascinated is because they are aware of cultish mind-control and understand just how difficult it is to walk away from it all. I've talked to quite a few people who I've known for a long time and knew that I was a witness. When I tell them I'm not practicing anymore it doesn't really strike them as odd or as a big deal. Why should it really? They don't get it! However, this select few are very interested in the struggle I've had to go through to remove myself. I'd even go as far as to say they are amazed that I just one day got up and left the organization.

Do any of you have any non-JW friends who get it?

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Nary a one.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Just the ones that know about the religion..(Jw) otherwise they haven't a clue what goes on.

I used to fill them in but didn't like the wierd looks they gave me..like "You belonged to a group like that?"..

Snoozy

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

Not really. Well as my name suggests, I'm still stuck in. But my non-JW friends that I still associate with that I knew from when I was in school, are amazed by the fact that I'm a witness, and always ask questions. But they don't understand the stuggles I go though day in and day out. And they never will. If I just up and left, they might say "AT LAST!" Then it would never come up again. Thats because from the outside looking in, it should be like quitting a job while you still have another. Just walk away and pick up where you left off. If only it were that simple...

• sizemik
    sizemik

Interesting post Mr F . . .

Me and my family have been out for six years . . . and I have never had the experience you speak of. It's not that I haven't tried . . . but even my immediate family who was largely 'estranged' for 25 years are not interested in the details of what it was like for us.

Those select few non-JW's who take such a strong interest in your experience are priviliging you . . . I'm jealous

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Not gonna lie, the fact that anybody gets it completely surprises me! Kinda lucky I guess.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

I have friends that when they find out are just shocked, about the shunning and rules. They cannot fathom how anyone could do that to their own family. I have one other friend that I've shared all this stuff with as I've discovered it, she's known me for years and she's got a pretty strong Christian background but is totally non-denominational in her outlook ( she's suggested I join the UUs or take up buddhism). So when I tell her things that they believe, I get to hear how it doesn't fit from a Christian perspective.

But no, I don't personally know anyone who really gets it. I almost think you have to be a former cult member to really get it. How do they get it, mrfreeze? Have they studied the psychology of it or have family members that were involved? I would love to meet people who get it.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I have a friend who had a brother in Scientology. He died from cancer, because he waited too long to get medial treatment. She totally gets the exjw experience.

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

A couple of them do. One of them is fascinated by it and yet makes jokes about it at the same time.

My friends are very supportive and now realise why i am slightly messed up in the head when it comes to some things eg cultivating real friendships and trust issues.

• RADHESYAM
    RADHESYAM

SO much foir their enormous preaching efforts - I think 99.9999999999999'% of people are just slamming doors in their faces because almost noone I know has any clue about Dubs and their practices.

The only friends I know who "gets it" was raised in "The family" (Children of God)...

its fairly similar only they didnt "have such a bad dress code" (as he puts it) and they got to "have Sex with Jesus" (which sounds far more interesting ;-P)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit