"I'm OK... Your OK" What Books Have You Read, That Have Changed Your Life?

by Was New Boy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Was New Boy
    Was New Boy

The first book I read (that wasn't a novel or school asigned) that change my life was "I'm OK your OK." I read it when I was back in Bethel.

It puts forth the idea that all of us have three major qualities in dealing with life.

The adult personality..... is the concept of reason. It ask the questions of why, when, who, where, what.

The child personality.....playfullness and emotional and sometimes irrational.

The parent personality....the parent has all the rules/dogma. Do this and don't do that. This is what is right.... and that is wrong.

It said that the churchs were always "Parental." With the additude of "We know what is really best for you...since you are only a child"

I really didn't what to believe it at the time. I was hoping that "my church" would be more like an adult.

Well... I found out the book was right. Churches never want to encourage reason.....reason is like death for the churches.

That is why they only want your obedience!....just like your mother lol.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Ham On Rye, Post Office and Women. Mentally, never looked back after those.

• Terry
    Terry

Ten Philosophical Mistakes by Mortimer J. Adler

I can't praise this book enough. For the very first time I began to understand what the process

of thinking, reasoning and understanding was all about in a nuts and bolts, plain-spoken, non-superstitious way.

It literally changed my life.

Ten Philosophical Mistakes

Adler in Ten Philosophical Mistakes discusses the errors that plague modern philosophy. He identifies:

• 1. the mistake about consciousness
    • 2. the mistake about the human mind
    • 3. the failure to recognize that ideas are meanings
    • 4. the mistake of not acknowledging the contributions of philosophy are as important as those of the sciences.
    • 5. the mistake that makes good and evil subjective
    • 6. the mistake in the identification of happiness
    • 7. the misunderstanding between freedom of choice and determinism
    • 8. the denial of human nature
    • 9. failure to understand how the basic forms of human association are both natural and conventional
    • 10. the fallacy of reductionism
  • unshackled
    unshackled

Honestly, the first book I read that changed my life was My Book of Bible Stories

Many, many years later...these ones changed it for the better:

Under the Banner of Heaven - Jon Krakauer
    god is not Great - Christopher Hitchens
    The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
    Greatest Show on Earth - Dawkins

Currenlty reading Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World....great stuff

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

My list would be, from the order I read first:

-Windows 95 Manual. (Kept me sane in the early teen years. Hobby).

-The Bible (Lead me to atheism).

-The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. (Inspiration and first solid philosophy that I learned).

-The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo. (Inspiration)

-Cosmos by Carl Sagan.

-The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

-The God Virus by Darrel RAy.

-NFPA. (Lead me to my career)

And of course all those textbooks from college. lol

-

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I also have to list The God Delusion.

Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson also really affected me. It changed the way I viewed the written English language. Thompson had a knack for putting words together in such a way as to almost be musical. Brilliant writer.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Fear & Loathing is one of my all time favorite influential books, too. Good taste, you have, Low-Key.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

The Gulag Archipelago

• unshackled
    unshackled

The Road - Cormac McCarthy. Wouldn't call this book a life-changer, but it did have a deep impact. Cormac seems an effortless writer...uses very few words to say so much.

Also, anyone read Touching the Void by Joe Simpson? Amazing survival / mountain climbing story.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Haven't read Touching the Void but have seen/heard him interviewed and seen the film. Amazing story.

The Road is simply brilliant.

But life-changing, in that they actually changed the way I view the world? Mistakes Were Made, But Not By Me, Age of Reason, Crisis of Conscience, Combatting Cult Mind Control, and believe it or not, like him or hate him, Jehovah Himself Has Become King were all highly influential in shaping who I currently am.

Other great books that probably aren't life-changing but that I really love: American Gods, Neverwhere, A Tale of Two Cities, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, The Demolished Man, Dune, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, A Canticle for Leibowitz. . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit