Watchtower’s Judicial System

by Marvin Shilmer 46 Replies latest jw friends

• nugget
    nugget

The article is a good one and does highlight that there is a fundamental issue with the JC process. However the JC is not there to determine guilt or innocence. Essentially the person is already deemed guilty and the committee is there to determine whether they are repentant. If repentant they can be saved but if not then they will be expelled.

It is not a court of law where the process is to determine guilt or innocence that matter has already been decided. The witnesses called are there to prove that the wrongdoer is guilty and the flimsiest of evidence is required.

It is a sickenly flawed process that is an afront to the very idea of justice.

• nugget
    nugget

The article is a good one and does highlight that there is a fundamental issue with the JC process. However the JC is not there to determine guilt or innocence. Essentially the person is already deemed guilty and the committee is there to determine whether they are repentant. If repentant they can be saved but if not then they will be expelled.

It is not a court of law where the process is to determine guilt or innocence that matter has already been decided. The witnesses called are there to prove that the wrongdoer is guilty and the flimsiest of evidence is required.

It is a sickenly flawed process that is an afront to the very idea of justice.

• sir82
    sir82

Has anyone ever done a study on the development & history of the JW judicial process?

There are lots of formalized, precise rules (3-man committees, 2-man investigative committees, appeals process, reinstatement process, restrictions imposed, public vs. private reproof, treatment of minors, etc.). How and when did all of this develop? Is it based on anything other than Freddy's fevered mind?

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I'm looking forward to reading it later.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

dgp:

Being the worldly I am, my stupid question has to be why a church should have a judicial system at all.

"The number one priority of any organization is self-preservation." -- Daniel M. Taylor

Members (employees) who are guilty of gross sins (insubordination) must be disfellowshipped (terminated).

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

A WBT$..

Kangaroo Court..

Guilty..Guilty.. Guilty..Guilty.. Guilty..Guilty..

http://www.vrijspreker.nl/wp/wp-content/media/2010/02/kangaroo-court.gif

......................... ...OUTLAW

• Terry
    Terry

The night I was disfellowshipped I wasn't even aware that was the purpose of the get together!

I had been called on the phone by the Congregation Overseer (this was before the elder arrangement).

He asked if I could stop by the Kingdom Hall and chat. I said "sure."

I had not attended meetings for about half a year.

When I arrived there were 3 others present. I thought they wanted to ask me about my marital situation. My wife and I had

separated. We spoke for awhile and nothing was said during that discussion that gave me a head's up what was coming.

The topic stayed on the separation and possibility of divorce.

They asked me to step outside while they discussed among themselves what had been said.

Five minutes later I was called back inside and bluntly informed they had voted to DISFELLOWSHIP me!

If they had pulled out a baby Harp seal and slaughtered it and bathed themselves in its blood I would not have been more surprised!

I was stunned.

At no time was any REASON stated!

Only much later did I get an inkling. It had to do with the fact I was staying at a friend's house and sleeping under the same roof with an unmarried lady who was not my wife.

Instead of asking me if fornication were involved or any specific question of intent or bringing in any witnesses NONE OF THIS was mentioned!

So, Watchtower Judicial System is largely a question of rumour, prejudging and paranoia in the hands of untrained religious fanatics.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Terrys story,reminds me of another story..

My 16 year old Buddy didn`t want to be a JW..

His Elder Anointed dad threw him out of the house..

With no place to stay,he stayed at his girlfriends house..He was Df`d..

A few years later his Anointed JW Dad Disagreed with the WBT$..He was Df`d..

Kingdom Halls should be Equipped with Revolving Doors..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Terry: Prior to being baptized, were you informed that you could be disfellowshipped for anything that three elders agree upon? If not, DECEPTION was involved in the recruiting process. With most high-control groups, recruitment is absolutely essential during the recruitment phase. If the unpleasant details were honestly spelled out in black and white, few would ever join destructive, high-control groups.

Thank you for sharing your story.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Thanks for the stories. Sadly the WTS judicial arrangement also provides no provision of correction if errors are made in the process. Once a decision is made and rubber-stamped by the branch, then it is not reversible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit