Anyone Successfully Quit Smoking Using Chantix?

by PublishingCult 18 Replies latest jw friends

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

I have been on Chantix for three days now. Tomorrow is quit day, and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyone here quit successfully using Chantix?

• baltar447
  • baltar447
    baltar447

I'm not trying to be a jerk ass, I've heard some real horror stories. Read the links.

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

I have not had any of the listed side effects, nor any of the terrible side effects talked about in the articles, bad or crazy dreams, etc, thus far.

I decided to try it only because actual people I know who used it to quit recommended it, and reported no adverse side effects.

I took my first pill on an empty stomach which made it a little upset at first, but an apple chaser cleared up my nausea.

This is not to say that I will not experience any of these side effects as I proceed, and I will try and be mindful of them as they come up.

Thanks, baltar :)

Edited to say: also, I have had six cigs today, all of which are sitting only half-smoken in an ashtray outside. My desire to smoke has diminished considerably; by this time of the day I have normally gone through nearly a pack.

Also, I exercise regularly, weight training, bicycling . . . I wonder how or if excercise has any bearing on the serverity of the side effects many users have complained about. If I start getting the urge to slash my wrists or go back to meetings, I will stop taking it.

• wobble
    wobble

Good Luck Pub/Cult and anyone giving up smoking. My wife and I gave up cold turkey in 1971, and the best side effect has been on our bank balance !

We had no huge withdrawel effects, I guess we were lucky. But, whatever it takes to quit is worth it, the benefits of being tobacco free are legion.

All the best with your efforts !

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

PC,

My brother who was a 30 year smoker quit on it. He had no side affects either. I've heard good things about chantix. Good luck with it, you health will be so much better. I am a Nurse Aide for Hospice and cannot tell you how many COPD, Lung Cancer patients I have had over the last 18 years I have been doing this. If you want to live a long life, please, please give up the cigs! Peace, Lilly

• baltar447
    baltar447

Yeah, I forgot, good luck on quitting! It's terribly bad for you to smoke, and your body will thank you in the long run.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

It didn't work for me, all it did was keep me up at night. In fairness though, I probably wasn't totally committed mentally to quit at that time. A few months later I successfully quit using the patch. That was more than two years ago, not even so much as a drag since then. Best thing I ever did for myself. Good luck to you in quitting successfully, PublishingCult!

• Robdar
    Robdar

Just looking at the word "Chantix" give me chills.

I had an awful experience with vivid, weird dreams, hostility, nausea and waking hallucinations. I literally felt as if I were losing my mind and started having thoughts of killing myself and my cats so they wouldn't be put in the pound after I was gone.

I knew I had gone nuts when I was outside of our downtown office taking a smoke break and a homeless guy asked me for money. Normally it wouldn't had bothered me at all. But when I told him I didn't have any money and he started razzing me, I looked him straight in the eye and told him if he didn't leave me alone, it would be my pleasure to kill him and drink his blood. I must have looked half crazy because he just started running. I only took the medication for a couple of weeks. I had depression for months after I stopped taking it.

Chantix is absolutely the weirdest and most awful thing I have ever put into my body. This was a few years ago when it was first released to the public and there were no warnings attached about possible psychotic breakdown. If you look on the net, you will find some hair raising stories.

OTOH, I have 2 acquaintances who loved it and stopped smoking on it. Although I haven't spoken to them since I moved away, I assume they still do not smoke.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I did it in UK on Champix (similar/same product?) with no side effects. Sadly I picked up again a year later ! good luck.

Loz x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit