Memorial musings

by undercover 21 Replies latest jw friends

• FollowedMyHeart
    FollowedMyHeart

Great musings, UC. I especially liked your points on Adam and 1 Corinthians.

Several years before I left, the memorial started to seem pointless to me. I remember leaning over to my ex during one of them and actually said, "What's the point?" You should have seen the look on his face!!

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this! Many of these thoughts have passed through my mind at one memorial or another... The ritualistic passing of the "emblems" is nothing short of ridiculous. The "servers" have been touching the plates and glasses HOW MANY TIMES while serving? And yet, they need to do it AGAIN? Whatever.

There was one memorial talk I heard about 4 years ago. Not a dry eye in the house. This brother gave such a moving speech about Jesus, his death, details of what he went through... It was amazing. THAT is they type of speech and "remembrance" that should be given. He kept the necessary recruitment part to a minumum at the very end of the talk, but the vast majority was about JESUS. Interestingly, he was never asked to give a memorial talk again...

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

that's way too much to read for me tonite... after a few beers, some champaign and ramazzotti... but i guess it pretty much sums it up.

• stillin
    stillin

the brother that gave the talk that I went to rambled like he was talking in his sleep. There was NOTHING that he felt was worth putting any zest into or ANY point that might be made in such a way as to make anybody glad that they had attended. No, it wasn't just me needing a better attitude either. He likes to sound wise and all-knowing but when you actually listen, you don'tlearn anything!

• WalkTall
    WalkTall

At 12 minutes in, our speaker was all done talking about Jesus, and that's including the opening song and prayer! From that point on, it was all about the anointed. It's such a joke to advertise this fiasco as memorializing Jesus.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Enjoyed your musings UC.

UC: "I could be out doing something useful or fun."

On the infrequent occasions my wife and I now go to a meeting, a smartphone with a recently downloaded good book is always at the ready.

om

• moomanchu
    moomanchu
    And don't you love how someone has to pass the emblems in front of the guys who just walked all around the all carrying them? I mean, if they wanted to, they could have taken a nibble or sip any time they wanted. Why all the ritual? And the speaker. He's standing next to the table the entire time. He could've just grabbed some when they set it back down...but noooo, we gotta make it a point to give him the plate/glass for him to acutally take in hand and hand back. Growing up in it, I never thought about it, but now it just looks stupid and ritualistic.

I made a comment to a dub about this, I said

"why doesn't the speaker just say whoever wants to partake please come forward"?

Would save alot of time.

Oh wait that's the way some of Christendom does it.

Forget it.

• man in black
    man in black

" A bit of douchebaggery wrapped up in self-righteousness."

was their entrance to the hall something like this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_b3oPslctA

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

Awesome post!!! You're rad :D

Loved the bread pan dent illustrations. The spanish speaking speeches are full of fun too D:

• anewme
    anewme

The brother who gave the talk where I attended hardly ever looked at the audience. He read most of the outline while we stared at him reading. Pretty disappointing after all the nerves it took to sneek in as a dfd one this year in my new town.

I sat next to a sweet alzheimers sister who asked me my name six times during the service and who held my hand during the prayers and kept giving me candies!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit