News: Recent warning from French President about certain practices of JWs.

by AndersonsInfo 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Borgia
    Borgia

Laisité ...this word is very important to understand the french actions ...

Cheers

Borgia

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I've been collecting articles on laicite (I don't know how to accents in Word). My major research project is the American Establishment Clause and faith-based organizations that do social work. My idea is to highlight the American view by showing it is not inevitable. Most European countries have a similar doctrine to lacite. They do not treat religion as inviolate. Rather, individuals are inviolate. Someoone explained before that in the states, many colonies were founded by religious dissidents (Pilgrims, Catholics, Quakers). These religions were on the forefront of the Revolution and the Federalist period. They were powerful engines of change from the status quo in Europe. Europe never had such groups with meaningful power. The religious groups in Europe were seen as reactionary.

Because I was born in, the calculus has always been clear to me. My father was very abusive. As a result, my life was almost null b/c of his actions, not condoned by the Society but not condemned, and the Witness doctrines. Growing up in the Cold War,flag salute was a hot botton issue. I received poor grades for writing science papers justifying creationism. My mom was expelled from high school b/c of the flag salute. It shattered her for life. The Supreme Court held that parents could not be punished by flag salute laws. The issue of children being punished, as in my mom's case, was never addressed. The law had to choose between my wishes to be a good American, live by accepting blood transfuctions, celebrate holidays and my parents' physical power over me.

The hypocrisy extends to this very day. In a landmark case for religious freedom, the Court held that Amish children could leave school earlier than the mandated PA rule. No one thought to raise the issue whether an Amish child wanted education but parents took them out against that studen'ts will. I faced this dilemna. My father was obsessed with me. I was the scapegoat. B/c I was a top student with volunteer activities, my teachers strongly encouraged college for me. My mother, seething from her pain, was determined I would not be held back. The abuse was so severe an agency was involved. They provided rape prevention rules to protect me from my father. The bastard, knowing my entire soul wanted college and I could not breathe without it, decided to pull me out of high school for being worldly. I obeyed him even when it meant deep bruises and my life was almost forfeit. Parties were unknown. I worked after school. He called and had me fired. His plan was to monitor me as I bagged groceries. He would appear in the store and comment to everyone how no good I was.

I refused to be meek. With all my being, I started to fight back and placed an order for a gun or knife. When I explained why I needed it, the students were willing to let me purchase one. I was fully prepared to enter foster care. It infuriated me that he belonged in prison but I, the law abiding one, had to leave home. I was deeply embarassed to discuss it with the principal. It was clear my father was delusion that a top student would bag groceries. Nevertheless, what price was I to pay leaving home and facing a judge?

American law should grow up and employ a balancing test. It will never happen because of our mores and history. Parents do not decide whether children can live or go to school.

Another thing is clear. If I write about laicite, I must disengage emotionally. The violins are playing here. My writing sample must be fairly long for a federal job. Maybe this would make a good article for a teen fashion mag or a general women's mag. I need to vent. People believe these are isolated incidents. My Catholic neighbors could get an education and dream of Harvard, as the Kennedys did. I had ministry school. No, my birth right was to have the same dreams and expectations as my peers. My choice, not their choice.

• metatron
    metatron

So, those poor, poor, persecuted Jehovah's Witnesses!

They are so law abiding (when it suits them!)

They are tax payers (well, except for the 60 million $ or so they owe the French government, by court decision)

They are conscientious (as regards the dictates of their religion, regardless of what the public might ethically object to!)

So, the organization is getting into trouble because they inhibit a college education, huh? And kill kids who need a blood transfusion? And they won't pay their tax bill, huh?

Yep, those poor, poor, persecuted Jehovah's Witnesses!

metatron

• designs
    designs

Witness Sisters should protest not being allowed to wear their doillies........

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Postscript: When I come to this forum, I recall my humble and atrocious early life. I graduated magna with Distinction in Political Science from Columbia. They gave me enough scholarships to buy four Mercedes. It was quite an adjustment from KH life. Many times I thought I would die I was so overwhelmed. I was ready for my freshman year the year I graduated. Next, I attended the fourth ranked law school in the US on a full merit scholarship. I've worked for the U.S. Senate Subcommittee on the Constitution and a major Wall St. law firm, representing multinationals and foreign governments.

There is a lot of drama here for an article. An editor could polish it.

My gut reaction is the American one. I was born an American. The Supreme Court provided me with references to the European examples. It would be pig headed to say the US has religious freedom and Europe has none. It strikes me that religion is cosseted in the US. Atheists don't have equal rights in practical terms. My area of expertise, the funding of social welfare organizations that are missions of their religion, is an example. Under the Warren Court, it would have been forbidden. Bush actually created a White House Office to facilitate funding with our tax dollars. Many commentators wrote how reactionary Bush was. A right-wing Christian. born again. Well, Obama believes in the concept, too, and has even extended it. It defines left/right defintions.

Americans rarely know basic civics. Arguing that individuals matter and need protection from any state and any religion is not going to be embraced. A few years ago, I would go down fighting for the American way. Something changed my mind. My experience with the Witnesses. I don't ever them want them persecuted. RAther, I want the public to completely ignore them. Every born in had rights to birthdays, etc. The basic concept of self-determination should win. Roman fathers could execute their children with impunity. Maybe we haven't travelled as far as we think.

Viva la France. fraternite, equalite.liberte. The land of Camus, Sartre, Monet, Manet, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit