Christmas and other Holidays?

by lv4fer 18 Replies latest jw friends

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

anewperson

(Some modern persons have attacked the celebration of Easter by promoting in writing their theory that the continuing usage today of Easter rabbits and eggs is a vestige of ancient fertility or sex rituals that pre-dated Christianity,)

I've read this myself at the library in history books
    when looking up the origin's of different symbol's
    myth's, ect. but with regards to the other passage you
    intered;
    (This was because from eggs clearly come new life, and also because rabbits were well-known for appearing first here and then there which is exactly how Christ did, appearing in first one place then another, after he was resurrected.)

that is knew to me I don't remember comming accross that one(except the eggs rep/new life) in the books I looked through. Where ecactly did you find this?

The explination, or one explination, regarding the eggs was that were a symbol of re-birth and the rabbits were the symbol used for fertility simply because there's nothing much more fertli on the planet then a rabbit as far as anyone was concerned in those day's.
    It sounded reasonable to me when I was reading about it. Has anyone discovered that those who once practiced there fertility rituals
    didn't actually exist after all? It seems like when ever there is some new discovery about anything or a change of mind the history books are the last to be notified.
    plm

• anewperson
    anewperson

Plmkrzy, believe what you want but these are facts & not just in some books but on the internet if you look determinedly. Otherwise the usual WT-type garbage is all over the place & has been picked up & now also eagerly promoted by some pagan, Yawheist, Pentecostal & other denoms too. Of Valentines Day, these facts:

VALENTINE’S DAY. What are its origins? According to numerous articles in the 3rd Century the Romans celebrated the February feast Lupercalia and during it also honored the goddess Juno Februata by randomly drawing the names of boys and girls from a box in order to match them up as year-long partners beginning during the next month. Christians changed the name of the celebration to St. Valentine's Day, and had their children instead draw the names of saints whose lives were to be copied during the next year. In the 1300s they returned to drawing girls'names.

The other Christian source of origin is that seven men named Valentine were honored with feasts on that February 14th. One was a priest who secretly held weddings for men about to go to war to fulfill their romantic needs despite the Emperor Claudius's orders. He was put into prison and died there. A St. Valentine cured a jailer's blind daughter of blindness and wrote her love notes signed "From Your Valentine" until Claudius had him beheaded February 14, 269 A.D. The legends about all seven men merged. In 496 Pope Gelasius made St. Valentine's Day official. Writings by Chaucer and John Donne also noted a belief in Europe that on February 14 the birds begin to mate.

Visit our nonprofit Jah Christians egroup at the following website to request more free Bible literature and information: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jahchristian:

• Solace
    Solace

Anewperson,
    I want to print that out and send it to everyone in my family!

• Beans
    Beans

PAGAN whats that? Oh yeah thats what normal people do!
    Beans

• bigfloppydog
    bigfloppydog

It took me 4 years to get the courage to celebrate Christmas, only because I was afraid someone from KH might see them and talk about me or say things like Satan lives over your door as my beloved mom said, but now I am over that, and celebrate all the time. It's great I love doing it. Same goes for birthdays etc. Life is to short not to have fun anymore. I say LIVE IT UP.

• Sargon
    Sargon

words like pagan, heresy and infidel are invented by people and gods who are so unsure of their own beliefs they have to use catch-phrases
    to counter all beleifs contrary to their own.

I Know it's only Rock and Roll...

• 25ashitaka25
    25ashitaka25

Almost everything can be traced to 'technically' pagan orgins. It's hoey. There's a books of the Origin of common things, it's great. Makes you see, that with a little research, you can find a 'pagan' history behind everything.

ashi

• Sargon
    Sargon

Check out the Canaanite pantheon of gods. you'll find the cheif deity, above Baal and Yamm, to be called El. Funny how this name managed to get included in early Jewish Mythology. I wonder how jws would feel to know that the name Bethel is based on a pagan god.

I know it's only Rock n' Roll...

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

ANEWPERSON

(Plmkrzy, believe what you want but these are facts & not just in some books but on the internet if you look determinedly. Otherwise the usual WT-type garbage is all over the place & has been picked up & now also eagerly promoted by some pagan, Yawheist, Pentecostal & other denoms too. Of Valentines Day, these facts:)

I'm thinking maybe you have me confused with someone else??

I'm not spending as much time lately here and just came back to this thread so in case you come back to read this I will try asking once again.

It is more then obvious that you are doing extensive research on these subjects and that is the "ONLY" reason why I asked you where you are getting your information. It is obvious to me that you are getting it or much of it off the net. I have not had access to the net until just recently. I have had to do most of my searching at the PUBLIC LIBRARY on my own and haven't had all day to do it. SO I'll ask one more time at the risk of pissing you off.

What literiture are you finding your latest information in? I would like to look for myself if it's ok? That in no way is even remotely suggesting that I think you are lying!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit