of the mags that get placed, how many get read?

by highdose 17 Replies latest jw friends

• factfinder
    factfinder

I'd say most people at least flip through them. I'd read a short article or two. I read while I'm eating. Sure some people probably just toss them but I'd say a good amount look at them and may read something.

• godrulz
    godrulz

I found a bunch of old WT material in a recycle bin once. I fetched things of interest for my counter-cult info. I was glad someone dumped it (I would hesitate to throw out Christian lit.), perhaps because they were disillusioned. Does the WT say anything about disposing of old material? I would assume they would say to place it somewhere?

• Open mind
    Open mind

100% of the mags we get at the K Hall, end up in the recycle bin.

It's the least we can do to promote Kingdom Interests.

om

• pirata
    pirata

My friend placed magazines at a return visit. I told him once we got back to the car that he had placed his personal copy (I was underlining and his name on the front when we were at the door). We went back to the house to swap the personal copy for a fresh copy, but the householder, a bit embarassed, said she couldn't because she had already thrown them in the garbage!

• pirata
    pirata

Does the WT say anything about disposing of old material? I would assume they would say to place it somewhere?

I couldn't find much on this (other than suggestions to place old magazines), but I know a number of witnesses who recycle really old issues, or their personal copies at the end of the year.ar.

A friend who worked at Bethel said that one of his tasks for a while was taking out all the extra hardbound yearbooks that had accumulated over the years, ripping off the covers, and then sending the pages out for recycling (not sure what happened to the covers).

• godrulz
    godrulz

This is reasonable considering the mounds of material that would accumulate. I see old, old copies of stuff around, so one would think this is a way to get merit points without throwing 'spiritual food' in the garbage. Can one count placing old magazines (and why are they keeping track to begin with?!)? There are also tax issues with JWs buying mags, collecting money, then turning the money back to WT (double dipping on WT part). Funds have fallen due to less literature, etc. Can everyone access the mags online (PDF?) for free? Can anyone get books or do they have to be delivered by a Witness (so they could refuse to do so for an apostate, etc.)? If I wanted a new, revised 'Reasoning' book, how would I get it (especially if they knew I would use it against them)? Do many use the Kingdom Interlinear (and do they still print it?). Will I live to see the day when the WT splinters and declines (cf. miracle of WWCOG/Armstrong move to orthodoxy)?

• test176
    test176

...and when I think of all the waste of paper ( trees ) on each month , increasing now for a hole year whit a simplified english magazine,among other regular and study mag., I think I'll recycle the whole library that i have accumulated within 10 years, after all I have it in electronic format (CD-ROM). i'll just have some free space on my shelf . Peace

• blondie
    blondie

People seem to be readers in the UK. My experience was that they had not read them and could not remember where they were. Top that off that jws in my sphere did not read the magazines they were presenting just using the same old generic presentation that had used the last 10 years.

Then there were the WT conductors that would compliment you on your comment but could not remember one detail of what you said just 30 minutes ago.

Or the book study conductors that had not read the material when they sat down to conduct the book study.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit