does anyone have a relative or know someone with autism/aspergers syndrome ?

by looloo 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

looloo I agree with the advice above and that is research and read as much as you can about Aspergers. Is there an support group in your area for adults with Aspergers. If so it may be worth contacting them for some advice and help with your brother.

nugget my son was diagnosed with Aspergers at 4 and your description of Kes fitted my son to a T (except for the armpit bit but he had other quirks). With all the sensitivities going to the KH for meetings was a NIGHTMARE and I so regret putting my son through that trauma for all those years until we left 5 years ago. My son is nearly 21 now, is a uni student (doing very well), has had a good part time job for the last 3 years, has his own car, a good social life and has come a very long way from the very autistic as a young child he was.

One of my sons early school teachers (I home schooled him under the direction of school teachers and teachers aides) gave me this poem and often I have reflected on it. These free out of the box thinkers who are our Asperger kids and siblings should be celebrated and loved for who they are.

Welcome to Holland

by Emily Perl Kingsley

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this...

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guidebooks and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum, the Michelangelo David, the gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!" you say. "What do you mean, Holland?" I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy.

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to some horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy a new guidebook. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around, and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills, Holland has tulips, Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy, and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life you will say, "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

The pain of that will never, ever, go away, because the loss of that dream is a very significant loss.

But if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things about Holland.

------

Wishing you all the best with your brother looloo

Hopscotch

• yesidid
    yesidid

Welcome to Holland

by Emily Perl Kingsley

Thank you for posting that Hopscotch!

It seems very fitting for those touched by Aspergers.

But can see it helping my attitude to various aspects of my life.

I'm sure others will think the same................so...............again..................Thank you.

• lil princess
    lil princess

i have wondered about myself, however i have decided to embrace my quirks and chalk it up to individuality. there is a reason many ADD/ADHD people will test as geniuses... what i am saying is do not suppress who you are.

• looloo
    looloo

tha,kyou hopscotch , what a great way of looking at aspergers x that might help my mum x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit