Is everybody barking up the wrong tree?

by andrekish 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• andrekish
    andrekish

Clearly, I'm not actually an olive tree, unless I get buried beneath one and slowly get absorbed.

Clearly, I'm not part of anthing 'faithful' or 'discreet'.

Clearly, a GB which promotes itself as the overriding authority is not 'faithful' no matter how hidden, or 'discreet' it tries to be.

Some-one, somewhere, IS barking up the wrong tree and is mislead if they believe they are the 'FDS' and are in some way infallible. (I've not heard Witnesses describe themselves as this but many seem to place an almost worshiplike faith in their Governing Body). This I definately noticed to be the case and thought to be a little 'robotic.'

Witnesses DO fit the description of 'Faithful' and they are 'discreet', as do members of many groups and if ALL Christians are part of the FDS then they, the witnesses themselves could well be part of the FDS. The witnesses I have met would not raise themselves to this level, believing they are unworthy, but, as has been mentioned here on this topic, it could well be that ALL Christians are meant to be included. I don't know. It could be that false humility is preventing us from working out who actually is 'the faithful and wise servant'. And some Witnesses I have met have turned out to be dogmatic domineering madmen. On the whole, though, they aren't a bad bunch, they do mean well overall.

What puzzles me is that after Armageddon, which I certainly think is on its way, there will be a crowd that no man can number.

Witnesses keep good records of their numbers so this 'great crowd' surely, cannot be just them. Not unless, at Armageddon everyone loses their marbles and forgets how to count.

Still, what do I know? I've only got the one brain and that's due for a service.

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL @ Jgnat.

Amen.

Apparently Mr. Eugene Peterson had the same idea

Matthew 24: 45 -47 "Who here qualifies for the job of overseeing the kitchen? A person the Master can depend on to feed the workers on time each day. Someone the Master can drop in on unannounced and always find him doing his job. A God-blessed man or woman, I tell you. It won't be long before the Master will put this person in charge of the whole operation.

48 -51 "But if that person only looks out for himself, and the minute the Master is away does what he pleases—abusing the help and throwing drunken parties for his friends—the Master is going to show up when he least expects it and make hash of him. He'll end up in the dump with the hypocrites, out in the cold shivering, teeth chattering." The Message Bible

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Still, what do I know?

Get to know the Author of the parable of the faithful and discreet slave.

Syl

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

A little dog came through the narrow gate and just pissed against my leg, am I an olive tree ?

Probably more like a fire hydrant.

Ever have one of those days when all your friends seemed like dogs and you felt like a fire hydrant?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It's a parable, not a prophecy. The end.

• andrekish
    andrekish

Hi again Snowbird. Thank you everone, again, too ( if that's grammatical?)

I think you mean getting to know the Christ. And I entirely agree with the idea.

It strikes me that we are all having a bit of a 'knees up' whilst the Master is away. I have a feeling that all of us are in for a 'telling off' to put it mildly. I speak here simply as an equal member of the human race rather than an expert Bible student. (I'm not sure if any of my highlighted words and capital letters are technically correct but I recently found the bold button at the top and I don't like to waste it). I'm looking forward to finding out how to use the colours. Ha.

In a more serious tone, I do see so many human opinions written in the Bible. For example, Paul never met Jesus so some of what he says is clearly his own opinion based on what he though Jesus meant. I am not in any way denying that Paul did have vision on the way to Damascus but clearly he was for example, anti homosexual practices yet, Christ did not Himself condemn homosexuality rather He counselled against 'sexual immorality' and the concept of sexual immorality was different back in those days. I am neither condoning nor condemning gay life. It isn't any of my business what any person does in private especially anyone elses' private behaviour or desires. I find it hard to blame any person for an instinct over which we have no control as wrong. Man wasn't born with the desire to steal and so can amend this behaviour, people are born gay, by instinct, and the Bible doesn't punish man for his instincts.

I note the two commandments given by Christ to his followers as being the law for all Christians. Love God and love your fellow man as you do yourself. So many ideas are contained within the Bible, written whilst its' writers were 'thinking about God', that some of the personal opinions of the writers has crept into their work and could well be 'the writers' viewpoint only. Since Paul and Christ's brother James had such a falling out, and given that the person who never personally met Jesus became the spokesman for the group,

I can see parallels in this modern world. I never met Jesus. I wasn't there. Anything I write here I write because I am thinking about the subject and am only inspired by what I would morally expect from my Creator, whom I truly believe, is a great deal wiser than me. So was Paul so I'm not trying to debunk his words merely point out his opinions.

This is in essence the cause of the debate re - who truly is this faithful and wise, or faithful and discreet, slave. This forum raises this issue again and again and will always have trouble answering this because none of us were there and we are all guessing, based on our own understanding of scripture and directed by the heart we feel within us. Thus I in no way condemn things like homosexuality, it simply isn't my business and my heart tells me not to condemn a man for the way he was born. I do not recall Christ ever doing this.

Since Solomon stated that his son should guard his heart above all things I think it vital to remember this because we don't live in a black and white world, rather a world with many shades of grey. Please correct me if I am wrong, but my heart tells me something is going drastically wrong within the WBTS when the members are having to faithfully and discreetly cover the hidden motives behing joining the UN for example.

Some will state that Satan is causing confusion in our brains. This is NOT the case here. People are extremely curious, God made them that way and told them to understand the world round them. People are people and should never be held up so high that when they screw up we are left wondering what is going on. However, since the WBTS is no longer a member of the UN much of the problem is, at face value, resolved. However, what a bitter taste it leaves in the mouth when untruths are used as excuses.

I admire all men who feel a belief in a Creator. And until our Creator fully reveals Himself, as He promises He will, we must make the best of a mad situation, caused by our own madness and opinions and prejudices and hatreds.

It is a shame that so many Witnesses are prepared to unheartedly disconnect themselves from any who do not totally agree with every word that comes from the publications of the GB. When God spoke with Adam and Eve, they could both see God and knew it was Him they were talking to. It is said that they were perfect. But even then they had to discover things from direct experience. They were made that way and then they messed up. Even if the GB is the FDS, just like Adam and Eve, they are human.

Maybe we expect too much from our fellow humans, in this modern world we demand too much professionalism and perfection whilst imperfect ouselves. However, since we are created humans, with inbuilt instincts and curiosities, the FDS, if that is what it is and this isn't a denial that hey are, cannot behave in such cavalier fashion, leaving its workers out to dry and unable to morally explain its actions. The GB should be willing to publicallyrebuke itself whenever necessary just as it does to others.

The GB mustn't hide. Morally we ask it to prove to the world that it IS the faithful and wise servant of Jehovah God. The GB, to fulfill it's role as faithful must not behave like a slavemaster, nor refuse to openly answer it's critics.

Man's curiosity cannot be satisfied by misdirection. That is not God's work. But at least I've found the blue text thingy so it's probabyly still a lovely day after all and since I can still absorb air I can only assume that Jehovah has decided I can live a little longer, so 'Thank YOU Jehovah'.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    'Thank YOU Jehovah'.

Amen.

I enjoy reading your thoughts.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit