If not for this religion, would the word, "destroyed" be part of your vocabulary?

by miseryloveselders 12 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Ever since being a kid, I've been a huge fan of Transformers. I watch the original series sometimes at midnight, and bounce back and forth between it and He-Man. Back when I was a kid, you couldn't tell me nothing, as Optimus Prime was second only to Jesus, and third to Jehovah. When Galvatron, Cyclonus, and Scourge first appeared in the animated movie.... I never realized until lately how cheesy the dialogue was. Really on all those cartoons from the 80's, the dialogue was atrocious. Bad guys in particular like Megatron, Cobra Commander, or Mumra The Ever Living (who is one of the most hilarious villains in hindsight), were always talking about destroying someone or something. But ya know, cheesy 80's cartoons aren't the only thing that regularly employs the use of the word, destroy.

You ever notice in WT literature, when it comes to Armageddon, the wordplay is cartoonish. For instance, check this out from the WT's website, taken from My Book of Bible Stories.

http://www.watchtower.org/e/my/article_114.htm

That war is to destroy all badness on earth.

Should we be surprised that God would destroy all bad people.

Bare in mind, all bad people are all nonJWs, no matter how much good they've done or do. They're not going to be eliminated, or even killed. No, they're going to be destroyed. Here's another one from the same book.

http://www.watchtower.org/e/my/article_11.htm

And so he promised Noah that he would never destroy the world again by flood.

I promise that never again will all people and animals will be destroyed by a flood. I am putting my rainbow in the clouds. And when the rainbow appears, I will see it and remember this promise of mine.

Mind you, he's still planning on destroying all nonJWs somewhere down the line, just not by flood. That doesn't rule out using fire and sulfer, or even anti-matter, whatever that is. Don't forget this book was designed specifically for children. Its one thing when a kid watches a cartoon with violence or reads a comic book that the child or teen recognizes is not real. However, WT literature with the same kind of questionable material, is considered theocratic upbringing. Being a born in, and reflecting on all this stuff, I never realized how much damage they were doing to me, and to us as kids.

Yesterday, I was in field service in the morning, and in the car group we were recounting a bad storm that came through a couple weeks ago. It was a terrible storm, probably the worst I can recall in this city in quite a long time. Hail stones as big as softballs, the sky turned green and black at one point. One sister stated that Jehovah can use these elements to destroy his enemies. They can rely on their guns and their nuclear weapons all they want, but it will be no use. Another sister chimed in that she wishes it would happen tonight. I was amazed listening to how crazy all of this sounded, and to think I used to think and talk just like these folks. Ya know what, they remind me of another group of people who have a tremendous bloodlust.

Ya ever notice when Islamic radicals make threats, its cartoonish as well? You never hear them making eloquent predictions of their victories. You're not going to hear the leader of Hamas go, "We hope to mobilize our ground forces and push the enemy towards the northern sector of the country, thereby eliminating the need for additional ground support from the north. This in an effort to avoid casualties amongst the civilian population" No they make comments like, "the infidels and zionists will burn in the pool of their own demonic blood!", "Allah willing, we will destroy all of our enemies." "We suffered casualties, but praise to Allah that our fallen brethren have tasted the blood of the zionists and are enjoying the pleasures of unlimited virgins in the heavens above!" That kind of talk is outragous, but not that far removed from the average JW's bloodlust towards nonJWs.

But you ever think about that? Ya know, the word, destroy? Woud destroy, annihilation, destruction, desolation, and other similar words, would those words be part of your vocabulary if you were never involved with JWs?

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

yes, i'm a programmer. i destroy (virtual) objects all the time. even parents with children.

other than that, i'm an arnold schwarzenegger (and gerrit lösch) compatriot. so yes, i would have known "destruction" at least since conan the barbarian.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

What an EXCELLENT POST!!!!! This is one of those in which the reasoning is memorable. I love the comparisons.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

I'm just going to post images from now on.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Excellent point, misery. There are so many phrases and terms that are "unique" to the JW world. I remember them saying at an assembly that our distinct use of certain terms (JW buzz words) is proof that we are fulfilling that scripture about God's people having a "pure language". I would probably still use the term destroyed if I wasn't a JW.

EXAMPLE: Mr. Falcon got destroyed last night after doing shots during the Golden Girls marathon.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Since leaving we've used the word only when applicable (which is rare) and when joking about the JW belief system.

It is a word used to instill fear in JWs. IE "You don't want to get 'destroyed' at Armageddon do you?" "If you don't want Jehovah to 'destroy' you, you'd better shape up before it's too late."

It is a word that I feel viscerally when I hear, read, or say it. Thanks JW training.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

There`s a few words I would never use..Armageddon..Undeserved Kindness..

Thank God I got out before "Happified"..

Being a JW was hard enough,without being Happified..

..................... ...OUTLAW

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

"Destroyed" is the opposite of "created". And there are plenty of other places where I have heard or used the word. Like wealth (paper wealth) getting destroyed. Like data getting destroyed. Like a house getting destroyed in a fire. Things are getting destroyed all the time--while other things are being created.

However, there are a few other terms I have heard among the witlesses that are unique. And "undeserved kindness" is one of them. It is very rare outside the witlesses. I almost never use that term now, and I almost never used it before becoming a witless. Terms like "mercy" and "a lucky break" are more common.

• sd-7
    sd-7

In the cartoons, "destroy" was considered a more acceptable world than 'kill' to use. So that's why it shows up there.

"If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed."--Emperor Palpatine, 'Return of the Jedi'.

"You can destroy the Emperor. He has foreseen this. It is your destiny."--Darth Vader, 'The Empire Strikes Back'.

"The Jedi are relentless. If they are not all destroyed, it will be civil war without end."--Chancellor Palpatine, 'Revenge of the Sith'.

See what I mean? It's out there. It carries a certain weight to it. Being killed sucks, but being destroyed? That's more like every bit of you has been wiped off the map.

I do remember being disturbed when I looked at the pictures in My Book of Bible Stories as a kid. Cain having killed Abel and a pool of blood near Abel's head--that was the first time I really remember starting to understand what death was, what killing really meant. Because this wasn't a movie; it really happened!

But after enough years of trying to do the right thing, being destroyed at Armageddon actually seemed either remote or like a relief. It sure beat living for another thousand years only to die anyway because of one slip of the tongue during the final test. Everyone I knew was growing old and dying; it seemed at least possible that I would, too. But no, I think destroyed is pretty much used in the outside world. Just usually not about 99.9% of the human population and all.

Even man generally cringes at the thought of murdering a huge swath of civilians in war. But God has a lower standard? He would do so? In hindsight, the rainbow seems like a bait and switch kind of promise. Ah, but I didn't promise not to kill most of you again; I just promised not to do it by means of a flood. Somehow, the difference doesn't seem very relevant.

--sd-7

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

A simple search in the WT Library CDRom is revealing:

destroyed: 3118 in the Watchtower magazine alone, 5639 total

saved: 2301 in the Watchtower magazine, 3936 total

Shows the priorities of the Borg. "serve" "slave" and "obey" all beat "saved" too. I would "LOL" if it wasn't so damned tragic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit