Reality exists in your brain

by Nickolas 59 Replies latest jw experiences

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I've just posted the following in another thread whose subject is supernatural experience, but it may deserve its own thread so I'll repost it here. I don't believe in the supernatural but I do believe that people experience unexplained things. Where I differ from some people is that I perceive the unexplained things exist only in their brains and not in the physical world around them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps one needs only to contemplate the meaning of reality. Reality exists only in one place, and that is your brain. Your eardrums vibrate at frequencies between 20 and 20,000 Hz and send signals through your auditory complex into your brain, and your brain interprets them as sound. The rods and cones in your eyes are similarly limited to specific wavelengths of light and colour that are sent as signals to your visual cortex in your brain which interprets them. Same goes for your sense of smell, taste and feel. They are signals picked up by your body and interpreted by your brain.

Almost 20 years ago I was commuting to various places in Canada and the United States troubleshooting production facilities. For two years I spent 36-48 hours at home and the rest of the time in airports, airplanes, hotel and motel rooms, factories, automobiles and offices. There were times I would wake up in the morning and have to concentrate to remember where I was.

I was in Atlanta, Georgia, can't remember the name of the hotel, when the alarm beside my bed went off at 5:00 in the morning. I was to attend a meeting in Augusta at 9:00 and had to make my way to the airport for an early flight. The room was pitch black but for the red blinking light in the smoke detector mounted on the ceiling. I reached over to the bedside light and turned it on, then silenced the alarm. I got out of bed, walked to the bathroom, turned on the light, urinated, shaved and showered. All this took about 7-8 minutes. I was towelling myself off as I walked out of the bathroom and I looked over at the bed to see myself asleep in it. I stopped in my tracks and stared for only a few seconds when the alarm went off and I opened my eyes to a pitch black room with only a little red blinking light on the ceiling.

This experience was what is called a lucid dream. I could see every detail in the room, my slightly bloodshot eyes and the unkempt state of my hair in the mirror. I could smell my urine, the soap and the shampoo, feel the bristle of my morning beard giving way to the razor and the hot water flowing over my skin, hear the rush of the shower and my thoughts as I put together the sequence of the day ahead of me. It was all very real but it was not real. I was fully conscious but I was also asleep. It was only a dream generated by my brain but because everything was entirely plausible, normal, I did not recognise that I was dreaming.

I related the experience to a co-worker who told me that he had devoted considerable time to learning about the phenomenon, including training himself to dream lucidly. A week or so later he gave me a book on the subject - there are many, this one was Jungian - which went into history, culture and practice (including, for example, the Senoi tribe in Malaysia).

I have had other lucid dreams but in every case I have been able to recognise that I was dreaming because of implausible details generated by my brain. An oversized rocking horse, a strange being or place never before seen, talking with friends and family who are no longer alive, flying like a bird over tropical forests that look like giant broccoli down below. I have been able to prolong a lucid dream, recognising completely that it is a dream but enjoying the experience to the fullest. I have also been able to terminate it instantly when the experience being manufactured by my brain was unpleasant. In all cases I awoke in my bed remembering every detail but recognising that it was not real.

Your brain is capable of some incredible things but those things exist only in your head.

• startingover
    startingover

Thanks for the post. I hadn't really thought about it like this before, but I'm convinced it's true that reality only exists in your own head. Even as a JW I never had any of the "demon" experiences that were so popular. Now that I have put that and all the other superstitious beliefs behind, if I had an experiences like you had, I would look for an explanation other than something supernatural, as you did.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I'm very interested in lucid dreaming. I could swear it happens to me, I just don't know HOW. It's not something I actively pursue. Most often, I am always with my children talking to them and being happy with them. Sometimes they are upset with me because they don't understand why things are the way they are...and sometimes they are just happy to be with me again. I can see them, smell them, touch them, hear their voices...I live for those dreams. They always make me happy. I wake up remembering everything, but knowing that it wasn't real.

• Terry
    Terry

Well...

Your brain certainly exists in reality.

Otherwise, how could the rest be true?

• jay88
    jay88

If I were a man of belief, then I would see this as a sign from god(your lucid dream as microcosm of waking life), that the life you are living now, is but a lucid dream. This could be how the "spiritual" was invented or has come to be.

• flipper
    flipper

" Reality exists in your brain ". Indeed. Yes it does. But for those of us on this board who were under cult mind control - the mind controlled personality and thinking has to be expunged and gradually eliminated before the reality of things starts working for us in a complete fashion in our thinking minds. Check out Steve Hassan's writings and books - you'll see what I'm talking about

• poppers
    poppers

Your brain is capable of some incredible things but those things exist only in your head.

Consider the possibility that the waking state that you are familiar with as "reality" is just another kind of dream world created by mind.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

If I were a man of belief, then I would see this as a sign from god(your lucid dream as microcosm of waking life), that the life you are living now, is but a lucid dream. This could be how the "spiritual" was invented or has come to be.

Consider the possibility that the waking state that you are familiar with as "reality" is just another kind of dream world created by mind.

Great observations. A point that I thought was obvious is also obvious to you. People who train themselves can induce and control their lucid dreaming. It is a capability all of us has but few of us even know about. You have the capability to shape your world, including the world in which you are awake and, indeed, you do shape your world. Your perception is your reality and your perception is shaped by your upbringing and things you have learned on your journey through life. Strange and wonderful things, things that no-one else experiences, intensely personal experiences (such as God speaking to you, for example) can exist in your mind because of its capability to go in between lucidity and dreaming. If you are disposed to a belief in the supernatural, your brain will be disposed to seek out evidence of it and you will be disposed to interpreting what you experience as supernatural even when you are wide awake.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

reminds me of the matrix film...

facinating subject by the way

oz

• jay88
    jay88

If you are disposed to a belief in the supernatural, your brain will be disposed to seek out evidence of it and you will be disposed to interpreting what you experience as supernatural even when you are wide awake.

I have heard too many times that "Content is Consciousness", if this is understood, how does it affect my approach to life/living?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit