Did you fake a prayer at the dinner table?

by fade_away 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

I've been faking these prayers for the past 4 or 5 years. When my JW family all bow their heads to make their personal prayers before dinner, I just bow my head and count and just wait a random period of time. I hate praying for the field service group or god forbid, the congregation. I just repeat the same thing every time and steal what other brothers say because I can't think of anything myself.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

In restaurants I hated it when people made a big show of praying just to make a point and draw attention to themselves. I have no problem with sincere expression but I do not believe JWs are in general capable of it. It never occured to me to fake a prayer you either did a silent prayer or let it pass.

& jws talk about other religions making a spectle of themelves in public. LOL

I faked prayer all the time, I used to do the count down trick 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, and it's over, now for the food.

I never did a prayer or fake prayer at a restaraunt, even when I was with other jws & they were praying, I would just look at them and think to my self - what a bunch of dumbasses.

My 1 and only time I gave a public prayer it was all over in about 20 seconds, never was asked again, & that was my aim for my quickie.

Kevin

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

When we did the "Bible Studies" I quickly realised that the opening and closing prayers were conducted by the study giver, or her husband when he came along (I didn't realise the rampant sexism then). There was a lot of "Jehovah" this and that, as if God needed to be reminded of his name, and I was allowed to say "amen" at the end.

I learned to keep quiet till she was done, and then not say "amen". When she asked about that I explained that prayer is personal, and I preferred to keep it that way. Probably another reason why I'm "bad association". But really, it is the height of rudeness to impose your conversation with a (real or imaginary) God on others to teach them what you think are the correct forms.

• clarity
    clarity

Praying in a restaurant....oh boy, more than anything I dreaded that!

What was the point? To show how pious we were? omg

Mostly I would hold the table napkin up to my face and just kept thinking ...I hate thisIhatethisihatethisIhatethisIhatethis ...... wheew it's over!

clarity

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Praying or Talking. Choose one.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

I HATED that!!!!And yeah,some guys{always me} went on and on and on...I never bowed my head,or closed my eyes.I like to watch...

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

I'm a girl, so I was never asked to pray outloud, but when we were at restaurants and they would bow their head down and close their eyes, I just looked around, and shook my head :p.

And when my mom would force me to do a silent pray, I'd just silently think of the most offensive thing I could think of. I was just never meant to be a good little lamb :p

Good stories though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit