Got my first tattoo since DA'ing

by WhatWasIThinking 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• WhatWasIThinking
    WhatWasIThinking

On the inside of my arm. First one in probably 7+ years. I forgot what it felt like and how sensitive the armpit is.

• Highlander
    Highlander

I posted this on another thread but I think it's more appropriate here:

As soon as I can afford it I'll be getting my first tattoo at the age of 36+. My first one will have a design that includes a copy of my baby girls footprints from the day she was born, her first name and date of birth.

My second tattoo will be a representation of my 'prison' time in the jw cult. I'm still working on the design.

Can you post any pics of your new ink? Is it hard to find a talented tattoo artist?

• WhatWasIThinking
    WhatWasIThinking

Ask and ye shall receive.

Koi on arm

My best advice to finding a good artist is to ask around. If you see someone with tattoos you like, or at least an artist's style you like, ask them what shop they went to and who did the work. Talk with artists and get a feel for their personality. You want someone who will draw up what you want and take the time to do it right, not what is quick and easy for them. Look through the portfolios artists put out. I know some very good artists, but their style isn't for me. The shop should be clean: gloves when tattooing with a change if they take a break to drink, smoke, go to the bathroom, answer the phone, etc.; new needles for each customer; putting the ink in little disposable cups or trays instead of sticking the needle in the big bottle. Most shops seem to be pretty good about hygiene, the fear of AIDS and other diseases has led to a big focus on health in the tattoo industry.

Depending on how much work you get done, you may need to break up your design into sessions. I did the koi in one sitting, but am putting off the background for about a month. They are not maintenance free, especially at first. You need to constantly put lotion on them for a couple of weeks (I use Neosporin creme for the first two or three days then fragrance-free Lubriderm for two weeks). If you don't use sunblock now, you need to afterwards or they will fade. Alcohol beforehand might seem like a good idea to help dull the pain but it will make you bleed excessively and the won't let the ink set properly and you will have to get it redone. Alcohol afterwards is always a good thing.

As far as pain it ranges from mild annoyance to fairly sharp pain depending on the sensitivity of the area of the body. As soon as the needle is removed the pain stops. You can always ask the artist to take a break if you need one. There isn't really any pain afterwards. To me it feels like a mild sunburn for a few days. Wear loose fitting clothes that you don't care if you need to throw out as you will bleed.

If you happen to be in Las Vegas or Phoenix I can direct you to some shops. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

• Highlander
    Highlander

Thanks for the great information. I live in Southern California. Both locations you mentioned are less than 6 hours away from me. I'll send you a pm when I have more questions.

edit: tattoo looks great. I imagine it hurt a bit more, as the inside of the arm seems like a sensitive place.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

well done, I also got myself inked some years after my first being a wonderful Celtic cross on my upper arm, took 5 hours, my late father had tatts done when he was young , he worked as a merchant seaman and he always said if I ever came home with any tatts he would physically remove them with sandpaper, he was a real nice father no?

• WhatWasIThinking
    WhatWasIThinking

My parents weren't real proud of the tattoos, eyebrow piercing, nipple piercing, tongue piercing, and gauging of my ears I did when I was 18. But then I also got an Associates in Electronics and a pretty good job at 21, and then got my Bachelors in Business (and currently finishing Bachelors in CIS and debating a Masters or JD). I think what really upset them was that my sister followed in my footsteps and got her hip, foot, and entire back done. And she married a guy with a full sleeve. But she also has an Associates in Graphic Design, a Bachelors in Economics, her JD, and is a practicing attorney at 28.

My parents learned to accept, but they are Catholic and Buddhist. I'd probably have a different outlook if we were raised JW. So how did the sandpaper feel?

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I got a shark tattoo on my male member, bet when it gets really cold it looks like a carp.

what that carp

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

What was I - I applaud you for your success.

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

What was you thinking?

CP

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

I have three - two that are hidden from when I was still a JW - and one big one on my inner forearm from after I got DF'd.

My husband (JW Manager) has the same one as me on his left forearm and then a huge one on his right arm as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit