Free College Lectures

by Justitia Themis 17 Replies latest jw friends

• chickpea
    chickpea

i am using khan academy to augment
    an online chem course i am having to take!

also, you can find entire courses on youtube
    channels for UCBerkeley ( am many more i
    am certain) ... i used dr marian diamond's
    intro to anatomy and physiology to augment
    an online anatomy course i was taking....
    titled integrative biology

absolutely brilliant!!!

lots of access to info these days....

• Honesty
    Honesty

All I have to do for a free college lecture is to read the latest WATCHTOWER and AWAKE! magazines.

See, it says so right here:

JUNE 15, 1983 WACKTOWER

PAGE 31

AnExcellentEducation

Would you like to grow in knowledge, obtaining an education of even much greater value than can be received in any college?

You can do so by reading regularly this magazine and its companion, Awake!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I'm with you, Jonathan H.

http://www.toddkashdan.com/

• laverite
    laverite

Justitia

Thank you for posting this! The best I have ever found is the University of California (yes, home of such amazing institutions as UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Santa Barbara!!!) Television. They offer lectures on a dizzying array of subjects.

The link is: http://www.uctv.tv/

They offer "Medical School for Public" which is awesome for anyone interested in medical school but who never got to go. The have lectures on psychology, the arts, biology, evolutionary science, anthropology, economics, education, etc. They have lectures on everything from the world's top thinkers inside and outside the UC. When guests give lectures at the UC from other institutions, they record them and put the best ones up on that link.

You have to check this out!!! I am BEYOND impressed, but I would expect nothing less from the nation's premier public university.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks, Justitia.

Syl

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

The best I have ever found is the University of California

MIT's site is pretty good too! Someone else posted the link in this thread, and I posted the link a year or so ago.

It's wonderful that others have added links. These are such great resources for those who do not have the time, money, or physical ability to go school. As I posted earlier, so many on on the DB because they have a penchant for learning.

I hope lots of people discover wonderful new thoughts, ideas, and concepts. :)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I could audit classes at my university but I had to work. Over the decades, access to college courses without credit has grown a lot. My ipod has many courses for download on a host of topics. My local library carries materials by the Teaching Company, a private co that hires the best profs to create college courses. The library subscribes to about four companies. The courses are pricey. I paid for a music appreciaition one but could not keep up the expense.

I love education! My mom told me I cried so hard to start school (and she doesn't know where I learned about school) that she enrolled me in an experimental program run by the local state teacher's college. I think Romper Room on TV and the Mouseketeers had an influence. Annette Funciello was always doing everything ahead of me.

The Witness stance on education proves to me that it is a cult. It focuses on preserving itself, not educating its members to more fully understand doctrine. When I became Episcopolian, the priest said all our gifts that God endowed us with were expected. Brains, music, art, whatever.. and more. God's wisdom certainly cannot fit within the pages of the Watchtower. Is God so puny and unenlightened? For me, the beginning of knowledge is to acknowledge how little you know, how no human can understand some things.

A common theme growing up was the cult of personality within the Witnesses. Power reinforced itself. The good, faithful servant was often tossed aside for some secular political reason. I feel so strongly about this issue it scares me.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Justitia,

I've tried to pm you but the function isn't working from where I sit. My goal was to tell you to get in touch with me if you need any advice or help with law school. I see that you live in a foreign country.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit