Ex-JW fundraising ideas

by Mindchild 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

In chat tonight, I enjoyed the opportunity to talk to someone here who is actively involved in doing fund raising for different ex-dub projects and organizations. I thought that was really a cool thing to do and wanted to pass a few thoughts on to you good folks to think favorably in this direction.

I’m not soliciting for any funds here but rather ideas of how different individuals might raise some capital to donate to the cause they see important. I know there are many generous people out there and that is all well and good if you have the funds you want to contribute but I was thinking there may be additional ways that we could raise capital for projects without resorting to asking for collections.

Some of the time honored ways of doing things like this are bake sales, selling candy, or some other product. Car washes are another famous example but everything I mentioned here is localized and doesn’t lend itself to the widely distributed network of friends such as we are.

Considering this here are a few ideas I have but I would love to see your ideas as well:

1. Selling prepaid long distance calling time (high quality international calling time can be purchased for 3.4 cents per minute and can typically be sold for .05 cents a minute. This can be done over the Internet by using PayPal and just sending them the numbers by secure email.
    2. Selling personal artwork or other craft that you enjoy doing. (Presuming it is something that can be easily mailed or sent by UPS at reasonable rates.)
    3. Customized screen savers that pay you a monthly check for using your computer when it is not busy. There are some services that offer a small monthly fee for running the screensaver that actually uses your computer to do number crunching for scientific problem solving, and once a day it sends back the results when you are online. The programs are free, and you can automatically have the monthly check mailed to the charity of your choice.
    4. Does anyone buy customized and funny bumper stickers or T-shirts anymore? This is another easy to do business that someone can do with their home computer and make a few dollars for a charitable cause.
    5. Are you good with online multi-user computer games? Did you know there are some games that you can easily earn money doing while playing it? I was reading an article recently about one such game that averaged $3.42 per hour being paid to the game player. Here is a way to have fun and make a few bucks for charity.

More ideas later….

Ok your turn

Skipper

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

WOW, skipper, does your creative mind ever stop working?
    It truly amazes me how much you contribute in ideas and projects here.
    j2bf

• umtiger
    umtiger

I've been thinkin' about this for a while, I do computer graphics.... make 'em on vinyl,. like stickers or, as "We" like to call 'em, Decals.

I thought about offering to make some for Simon and for bill @ Silentlambs, donating to them so they could generate some revenue with them. Like the www. decals, or anything logo-wise, one I had in mind for Bill, is of a baby in hands.

Here is a pic of it,I ran across a while back and converted it to Vector and can output it to plotter, I've been wanting to use it somewhere but haven't been able to yet.
    It is one of the most precious things I've ever seen, think I'll mess with it a bit and then make the offer to Bill,... any suggestions welcome.

P.S .I can make anything, stickerwise,... vinyl etc.

All That Could Never Be Said
    All That Could Never Be Done
    Will Wait for Us At Last,
    Somewhere Behind The Sun

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

The bumper sticker idea sounds good. I can just imagine the slogans that people would come up with.

"I have so much love to give, but no one to give it to."

William H. Macy - "Magnolia"

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

Mindchild,

I would like to develop this thought further but I am too wrapped up in personal problems right now to do some research. Having been a Witness for so long we cut ourselves off from our communities and I really don't know who else is already attempting to do what I have been thinking about. My basic idea involves a non-profit support network that can provide resources for anyone who really needs it, focusing on health and aging and retirement. My family is hit square in the face with this need right now and I really do not know what solution we will find. When my mother was sick with cancer, but not yet in a hospice situation, we found it very difficult to get assistance. She had health insurance but they would not pay for some of the basic needs my parents were facing. I have spent a considerable amount of money to help while living over 3000 miles away. My younger brother also lives accross the country and two other siblings have almost no financial resources of their own.

If I don't get some help I will go bankrupt taking care of my father's needs as they arise, if they are at all similar to my mom's. This will make it very hard for me to recover in time to take care of my own health and old age coming up. I can only imagine the frustration some others must feel when faced with this situation and I'm sure it is a problem also for many who have no association with JW's. I am hopeful that some other people have already begun working on a solution and I can hook up with them. But if not I will begin researching how to set up the network that is needed from scratch.

If you or anyone else knows of some people who are trying to set up a charitable network to help families who are seperated by thousands of miles and who do not have the finances to take care of their aging parents or sick family members, please point me in their direction. If anyone here is interested in developing this idea let me know and we can start a dialog through e-mail or snail-mail.

It's coincidental that just yesterday I started typing my idea into a file. Haven't got very far yet but here's what I have so far:

"I see a need to colaborate with others to provide help and support to people who find themselves outside of the radar in society who are facing difficult decisions regarding health care and aging of parents and friends or emergency care for family members of any age.

I see this from a position of someone who neither qualifies for government social aid nor has enough financial security to support the needs of the family independant of outside help. I am wondering who else is thinking about this or is actively promoting a support system that can assist this group of people. How does one go about creating the network of support systems needed when one does not have the financial resources to devote to the cause? How does one take a position of charitable and philanthropical giving when that one does not have "disposable income" or extra money to give?

The problem is exacerbated when family members are seperated by thousands of miles or national borders that make personal interaction difficult or impossible."

Thanks for bringing up the subject. I feel better knowing that the wheels are turning in the minds of others. Now I don't feel so helpless and alone.

Sean

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

SEAKEN2001 I am in fact currently working with other ex-dubs to develop a practical employment and retirement package for some exdubs on this board. You can email me privately for the details but we will announce our program in the near future.

A few thoughts about the problems you and many others are facing with the medical expenses. As you should be well aware, you are not alone in facing this huge problem of medical expenses. Even if you have health insurance (and lots of ex-dubs don't) you have limits as to what is covered by expenses and also the very real problem of paying for the prescription drugs that are going through the roof in costs.

If you choose, you can put your trust in the "system" to find a solution but my own expectation is that as corrupt as the political and business systems are today...you are taking a big risk in hoping that yours and other family members medical costs are going to be paid by the government.

I therefore strongly suggest that you look outside the box for some innovative solutions to these potential problems. For example, if you limit yourself strictly to the subject of medical treatment and the associated costs you can find amazing price differences when you step outside the USA. Not only is medical costs a fraction of what they are here in this country, the prescription drugs are also. In fact, you can get many prescription drugs not even available in the USA, and without a prescription in many countries.

Besides the lower costs...the care, competence, and facilities are as good as or even better than what you will find in the USA. Why do you think so many people go to Costa Rica for medical care these days? It is about 1/3 the costs of treatment in America.

How do you get insurance for this? You can buy foreign medical insurance and travelers insurance at very good rates. This insurance is only good outside the USA though and as with any insurance policy, has limitations on what it covers. Worried about a language problem? Nnot only do the doctors speak English outside the country, chances are that they went to medical school in the USA.

Now perhaps you are getting an idea of why millions of Americans are expatriating themselves and moving to other countries when they retire. Not only are there huge savings in the medical expenses and better health care, they don't have to pay taxes if they do things right, have a better standard of living, and have an interesting new lifestyle. You can check out this URL for more information about different countries and how to escape from America:

http://www.escapeartist.com/

Kind Regards,

Skipper

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

skippy! i love how yer always thinking about something new yay!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Away to go Mind Child - I think your suggestions are great.
    I will continue going to Churches : womens groups; to give my testimony( & get paid for it) why do you think I am Mouthy. Thanks for helping me wisen up MC as to post DAH

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Mindchild,

Here are a few ideas:

Sell tickets to a masquerade ball at which you dress up as your favorite prophecy. Of course, all the women would argue over who gets to be the Great Whore of Babylon. The Norwegians could roam the party as Nephilim. We could serve wine and bittersweet scroll hors deouvres.

Have a JW/ex-JW carnival featuring . . .

Hand raising contests--quickest, best camouflaged, etc.

Street witnessing marathons. Each person wears a number and sees how long he can walk around holding up magazines against his chest. Maybe we can even make a movie: "They Shoot Dead Sheep, Don't They?"

Door knocking contests. Prizes for the loudest and the softest knocks.

A flush out the householder game. You knock on the door. The "householder" pretends not to be at home and hides in his house or runs out the back door. Your job is to track him down and make a placement--not matter what.

For young brothers, a microphone obstacle course and seat saving sprints.

Pass the wine without spilling it--without using your hands!

Name that Kingdom melody!

A governing body/DO/CO/elder dunking booth. At $1.00 for three tosses, this could be a real money maker. We might have to open up an adjacent pie throwing booth.

A "What's My Sin?" game: Was your sin public or private? Did it involve touching? Others or yourself?

Hope this helps.

Ginny

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Ginny...what cool ideas for an Apostofest!!!

Skipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit