A Religious Sub-Culture That Many Americans Have Never Heard Of, Yet Which Has Thousands Of Churches Across The Country, Churches That Critics Claim Can Foster Physical And Sexual Abuse, On ABC NEWS' "20/20"

by whereami 27 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal

I'm in, you should see some of the stuff being posted.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_181547111869398¬if_t=group_activity&closeTheater=1

Joshua Heyza

I think that amid all of the horrible comments I received after leaving the IFB, I think the worst of all was when my Christian HS Administrator Dr. Larry Nagengast told my father that I "just think too much." I think this is so important in understanding what the IFB is all about. NO questioning, ALL OUT total submission to the "man of god", and unwavering separation so that they can keep a check on you. Thinking is not acceptable, because anyone who simply thinks, knows that what is going on is outright fraud, abuse, and cultist behavior. No thinking, total submission, complete separation from the "world"-- the FLDS and the Baptists do have a lot in common after all. Thinking IS important!

• Brandi Brown Kuiper one of the greatest things I learned after getting free was to NEVER take someone's word for ANYTHING. God gave us a brain for a reason!! December 30, 2010 at 12:38pm · Like Unlike · 2 people Loading...
      • Robert Sims Amen to that, Brandi! December 30, 2010 at 12:39pm · Like Unlike
      • Cat Givens YES! I, for one, am very glad you think too much! I have also been accused of such a thing, as if it was a flaw! Be careful, though, you may just think for yourself and realize more than you wanted to. (Ain't it grand?) December 30, 2010 at 5:57pm · Like Unlike · 1 person Loading...
      • Allen Sanchez Yup, that's how they do it...it was like that at my old church...Complete submission and blind obedience to the 'man of God' 23 hours ago · Like Unlike
      • Tammy Montgomery Moyer I have read both books by Carolyn Jessop and listened to them on CD and there are HUGE similarities. I also read story about Jim Jones and there were a lot of similarities, it was down right scary. I would just put the book down and stare and think what the heck was I involved in. Now I know.

</form>

• poppers
    poppers

Interesting coincidence: A pastor named Phelps associated with a Baptist church that seeks to control its members through fear. I wonder if he and Fred Phelps are related - was that mentioned in the program?

• Gayle
  • garyneal
    garyneal

hee hee hee

Have to be careful what I say on that wall. It appears to my friends, some of whom (including my wife) are Jehovah's Witnesses.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    I asked him if I were a member of their church and started committing sin without changing my ways, would they still allow me to come through the doors of the church building to sit and listen anyway. He said no.

Yet they have no problem covering up for child molesters....where have I heard that before?

• garyneal
    garyneal

Gary Neal I found out about your site after watching 20/20. I used to attend an IFB (actually 3 of them) in VA around where I grew up. I can certainly relate to the stories presented on that show. That church made me hate God and for a while I left. If I hadn't met up with some great Christians at college who were nothing li ... ke the IFB's, I'd might not be a Christian still today.

• Gary Neal So much non-sense that was preached from the pulpit made me depressed and suicidal. Yes, there were rumors (which were probably true) of sexual abuse going on the church I attended the longest. I know of one family who kicked out two of the children and when the oldest of the two wound up in jail, aside from some of his immediate family, only I and my girlfriend showed up to visit him. His pastor never showed up, nor anyone in the church for that matter. 2 hours ago
      • Gary Neal I don't hold malice to the group now, it's been 20 years since I was in one of those churches. However, I would never recommend that denomination to anyone, they do have a lot of the markings of a cult. After I left my IFB church for good ... , I understood that there was a shake up and a new pastor with a softer message. I thought maybe the IFB churches had learned their lesson. The 20/20 documentary told me otherwise. Now they're going to have to answer for themselves. It'll be interesting to see how the IFB churches respond. See More
      • Cathy Morey I also became very suicidal. After watching 20/20 it brought back all the pain I have buried and tried to forget and move on. Now what
      • Ted G. Wagner Roger that, opened up a lot of old wounds and brought back feelings and memories I thought I had banished. Pretty sad there has to be a support group with so many people recovering from this sect.
    </form>
  • garyneal
    garyneal

Ted G Wagner's comment is something I've seen here.

• bobld
    bobld

Substitute WBTS for IFB and you have one and the same.

B

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit