Hiding from witnesses

by Igot2bme 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Igot2bme
    Igot2bme

Today a group of sisters from a different hall came to my house today. They were out in full force placing memorial invitations. Instead of answering the door, I felt compelled to pretend to be not home and waited for them to leave. My husband, though confused by my actions got a kick out of me being a witness hiding from the witnesses.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

How long have you been out? Would those sisters have recognised you?

It takes time to get over that quick intake of breath you do when you see them in your street. However, I can tell you from personal experience that confronting them helps you gain confidence and takes away the power they seem to have over us.

I had two witnesses call on me yesterday. One looked like she was a pioneer sister and she introduced the young man with her as her son. Now, when I saw them approaching my door, I had the same chance as you, to hide from them and pretend not to be home.

But, I opened the door, and listened politely to what she had to say. She was very sincere and seemed like a nice person in real life. I asked a few questions regarding those having the heavenly hope, politely disagreed with what she had to say, but had a short discussion with her, maybe about 15 minutes.

I'm not saying this will happen the first time you encounter the JWs at your door. At first, all you might be able to do is stammer "no thank you". That's fine, you don't need to say any more to them. But over time, you will gain the confidence to open that door and talk to them.

Remember, the JWs, and the elders in particular, don't have any power over you, unless you give them that power. Retain your power and self-respect and you'll soon come to realise that the JWs are no different to anyone else.

• wobble
    wobble

They shoved an invite through my letter box on Saturday, we were in, but no attempt to ring the bell (good), also my son drove in to the drive as the bro. was walking away, the Wit, just said "I've left a leaflet for you"

My son just replied "No worries Mate" (He's practicing his "strine" , he's off to Oz next month.)

They are just so concerned and diligent about their life-saving work aren't they ?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Six of them within 30 feet of me today and not one invite

I got smiles and waves. One of them even got coffee.

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

Answer the door and ask them if they think Jesus wanted us to keep refusing to take the symbols in a remembrance of him. Yes this very very important celebration, the most important one in life, for which Jesus personally left detailed instructions. But he kept out he part of "respectful bystanders". How come?

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

No more 'hiding' for me. This past Sunday, my wife and I were at a local fast food restaurant. I noticed the usual 'Sunday-dressed' folks coming in... and they suspiciously looked like JWs.

I observed one couple sitting at a small table eating their lunch... quietly subdued. I thought to myself... 'Do I know this fella?' and continued to watch him, trying to see some sort of familiarness about thim. He was an older fella... he looked about 10 years or so older than me.

It finally hit me... he was my ex-brother-in-law! He is actually about 5 years younger than I am, but the years have not been kind to him, I suppose.

We ordered our food, and I went over to him - he standing there - waiting for his wife (wife #2) to come back from the restroom - so they could leave.

I said, 'Hey Dxxxx'! How are you? He just looked at me - blank expression (kinduv a tired look, too) - and mumbled something like 'fine'.

I wasn't sure if he remembered me, so said, 'You remember me, right?' 'Yup' he said.

I asked him a few other questions, most were replied with brief 'Yup' answers.

I finally let him go on his way - his wife had returned, and those styrofoam cups of water that he was holding were getting heavy.

I told my wife who he was... she has never seen any of my relatives - or not up close. She was astonished when I told her that he is younger than I am.

I like to smile a lot, and have fun in my life. I'm glad I am 'no part' of their 'world' anymore. I would look two times older and be frowning all of the time, if I were.

It was ironic. There were other groups of JWs there eating their lunches. (The meeting had just let out, I suppose... I really don't know what their times are on Sundays anymore - nor do I care). All of the groups of kiddos had fellas wearing their nice slacks and ties, short-cut hair, etc.

My mother-in-law was watching them, and then commented (not knowing that they were JWs), "I like it when young men dress nicely like that."

I commented, "Then you should be a Jehovah's Witness. Cause that's what they are."

She just said something like, "oh." and we continued waiting for our food.

Regards,

Jim TX

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

funny. I met a woman this weekend and it came up that I was an exJW.
    she admitted that she hid when they came to her house.

I informed her that she wasn't foolin' anyone. She would be marked on the report as a HBH - Home But Hiding.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I'm just starting to be at the point that i don't avoid them or hide if I see one in public. Yesterday I was driving through town and could see two that I used to be real close to standing on the sidewalk and the husband looked up but then said something to his wife and as I was driving by they pretended not to see me as I waved really big and said hi. It was fun for me at least

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I would love to ask the question: If none of us are there to partake in the wine and crackers, what's the point in our being there?

• Ding
    Ding

The vast majority of householders who hide from JWs aren't doing so out of fear.

They're doing it because it's the easiest way they know of to avoid the annoyance without appearing rude.

It's similar to dodging an old acquaintance who never shuts up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit