Some thoughts on why people become JWs

by willyloman 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• willyloman
    willyloman

People become JWs for a variety of reasons. I just read an interesting passage in a novel that I think applies to many of us to some way. The main character in the book is a retired military policeman. In the scene, he is discussing the reasons folks join the Army:

"Some join because they want to shoot heavy weapons and blow things up. Some join because it's preordained. But most join because they're looking for cohesion and trust and loyalty and comaraderie. They're looking for the brothers and the sisters and the parents they haven't got anyplace else."

Reviewing my own reasons for becoming a dub, I relate to "looking for brothers and sisters and parents I didn't have." My extremely dysfunctional family broke up when I was 13. My parents took turns with us for a few years and then we all wound up living with various friends and relatives. My sisters scattered across the country. By our late-teens, were all basically orphans. We were estranged from our parents for most of the rest of our lives. And the siblings all led lives separate and apart from one another and didn't communicate much over the years. So, for me, the dubs became my "family."

We all know many dubs whose life course was "preordained," who were born in and are third or fourth generation and are given no alternative.

I think the shooting and blowing things up part also applies to some of us. Not literally but figuratively, of course, but perhaps for the opportunity to "overturn entrenched things."

Can you relate to any of these? And what was it that primarily motivated you to join the JWs?

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

The reason I became a jw was I liked their teachings on hellfire, Trinity, military involvement, and saluting the flag.

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

The reason I became a JW is that I was born-in

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

I'm not a born-in, but close enough. I was about 6 or 7 when my parents took their studying seriously and were moved to baptism. I trusted my parents because they trusted other people that TOLD them this was the truth. Hey, I was a kid.

I know now that it is not the truth.

CoC

• wobble
    wobble

I think your observations are right Willy, the only ones who came in to the congregation from the outside , in the ten years before I left, were dysfunctional themselves, or from a dysfunctional background, without exception.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I can't relate to any of them.

I could never bring myself to get dunked. I can't imagine why anyone would want to go through what JWs have to do without the threat of Jehovah's wrath as an incentive.

• sizemik
    sizemik

While brief, this summary might add to the discussion . . . hilights mine re; OP

Unprecedented escalation of secular and religious cults has necessitated further inquiry into more precise conditions under which individuals develop vulnerability and become converted by these groups.

The present discussion focuses on a number of factors which seem to influence individuals' susceptibility and recruitment by cults. These variables include (a) generalized ego-weakness and emotional vulnerability, (b) propensities toward dissociative states, (c) tenuous, deteriorated, or nonexistent family relations and support systems, (d) inadequate means of dealing with exigencies of survival, (e) history of severe child abuse or neglect, (f) exposure to idiosyncratic or eccentric family patterns, (g) proclivities toward or abuse of controlled substances, (h) unmanageable and debilitating situational stress and crises, and (i) intolerable socioeconomic conditions.

Curtis MJ - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8234595

Add an effective indoctrination method .... (this is a bit of a laugh but spookily familiar)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnNSe5XYp6E

things may vary within these parameters for individuals I guess . . . ?

Personally, all of the variables (a - i) still exist in some measure for me.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Your quote is very valid.

I read recently that most people join cults around the age of 20, or around the age of 40. It seems those are the ages that you are most likely to be looking and questioning and most vunerable to the comareaderie that a cult offers.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Agreed . . . there is a thread around somwhere regarding the absence of parenting factors . . . and how they slow down the development into adulthood. The need for 'family' and the structure of being 'parented' lingers into the mid twenties . . . vulnerabilty skyrockets!

I see some evidence of this in my own case.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit