Who is your favorite Greek/Roman god or goddess and why?

by poopsiecakes 36 Replies latest jw friends

• moon84
    moon84

I always liked Athena. I loved that she was a woman with wisdom. Another of my favorites are Artemis (being a Cancer makes me appreciate the moon more lol!). I always liked the stronger female characters of Greek mythology. But over time I grew to like other mythology such as Egyptian and Celtic mythology as well :)

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Sophia, goddess of wisdom and also, the feminine aspect of God.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I've changed my mind and allegiance - Mithra is the one. The only one.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The romans got mithra from the persians, who got it from the hindus.

'The cults of the Roman Empire. Wiley-Blackwell. pp. 196–. ISBN 9780631200475. http://books.google.com/books?id=Q6sSsAR0ZO8C&pg=PA196. Retrieved 19 March 2011.

"The name Mithras comes from a root mei- (which implies the idea of exchange), accompanied by an instrumental suffix. It was therefore a means of exchange, the 'contract' which rules human relations and is the basis of social life. In Sanskrit, mitra means 'friend' or 'friendship', like mihr in Persian. In Zend, mithra means precisely the 'contract', which eventually became deified following the same procedure as Venus, the 'charm' for the Romans. We find him invoked with Varuna in an agreement concluded c. 1380 BC between the king of the Hittites, Subbiluliuma, and the king of Mitanni, Mativaza....It is the earliest evidence of Mithras in Asia Minor."'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithraic_mysteries

The hindu sanskrit is the source of all truth, and true gods;)

S

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Gotta love the Hindus - they make up the best gods. And the Romans just adopted everyone else's - Egyptian, Greek, Persian, Hindu, whatever - and made them Roman. This of course includes Jesus. Gotta love it - it's ballsy!!

• Satanus
    Satanus

You aren't italian, are you?

S

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

LOL nope - Canadian just like you

Although Italy is a favored holiday destination of mine tee hee hee.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Prometheus is awesome. He gave the gift of fire to Men.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

So many to choose from!!

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

Aphrodite~Venus

Goddess of Love, Beauty~

What would we mortals be without Love and Beauty?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit