suicide and wts funeral rules

by diamondiiz 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    Whereas he cannot preach the suicide into heaven or even hold forth Scriptural promises that the suicide will have an opportunity for life in the new world, and although he does not condone the suicide, yet he appreciates that the holding of a funeral service affords a marvelous opportunity to give a witness to God's kingdom and the blessings that it will bring to mankind, including the resurrection of the dead.

So, they don't offer any hope for the deceased or consolation for the survivors, but they'll use the funeral as an opportunity to give a sales pitch.

The Roman Catholic church, for example, has a clearly condemnatory viewpoint on suicide and I understand priests would not bless the deceased.

You are correct about the first part, but misunderstood the second. The Catholic Church condemns the sin of suicide, not the sinner. Catholic teachings regarding suicide are in articles 2280-2283 of the Catechism. Article 2280 through the first part of 2282 explain the gravity of the sin; the second part of 2282 and article 2283 teach that the person is to be regarded in a spirit of charity, not judgement:

"[2282] ... Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

[2283] We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives."

The contrast between the WT and Catholic policies speaks for itself.

• Jay Elle
    Jay Elle

I resurrected this thread/topic of suicide being a sin.

Here is why. Sampson commited suicide when he premeditated his death with the Philistines.

He was in great pain and under stress. So in his desperation he felt better off dead.

He even said, "Let me die with the Philistines"

So as I hear all the time. It is in the Bible so take it up with God.

cheers!

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

A very nice, young elder just killed himself in Oregon. Hung himself. Tragic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit