How many went on to college after leaving the JW's?

by Cagefighter 22 Replies latest jw friends

• truman
    truman

After I left the JWs, college was one of my primary goals. I now have my BA (in English) and am halfway through my master's program.

As for the poster's question about paying for it, I used the resources of my local community college (very inexpensive classes) for my lower division courses, then transferred to a state university for the rest. I maintain a 4.0 GPA, and this has put me in line for enough scholarships to pay for my tuition. Now that I am a grad student, various grants and paying assistanceships are also available. I have never taken out any student loans. From what I have read about these, I caution anyone to proceed carefully and only after due diligence research.

There is (non-repayable) money out there for the determined student, but you have to be diligent about finding out where it is and applying for it. Good grades and/or provable financial need help (file a FAFSA). Also, if you qualify for assistance given to various demographic segments, that too, can be a resource. For the record, I am a white female in her mid-fifties, so not many programs are tailored for me. Still, I have found money when I needed it from scholarships and other sources available to students.

If you want to go to college, search out the financial aid. Colleges and universities all have departments devoted to helping students connect with funding.

• designs
    designs

Me...

• Scully
    Scully

Yes... my going to college thing was more-or-less the ruse we used to move far enough away from our Congregation™ and Circuit™ that we could fade quickly. I got some flack from a few people who tried to convince me that it was foolish to waste three years on college because Armageddon™ Is Right Around The Corner™ and my response to that was that I was prepared to take my chances with Armageddon™, but if my husband suddenly dropped dead it was painfully obvious that I couldn't rely on the Brothers™ and Sisters™ to support me and my children and I needed to have a job that paid enough to do that. It crushed that argument to dust!!

By the way, that was 16 years ago... and Armageddon™ is still Right Around The Corner™ in case anyone is wondering.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit