New Disfellowshipping Policy?

by Madmen 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Madmen
    Madmen

I heard the policy on disfellowshipping has changed, so that you cannot be disfellowshipped if you're not currently "fellowshipping". Does this apply if you're baptised, but haven't associated for over a decade and then choose to speak out in the media (specifically TV) in a way that the Watchtower Society would consider to be apostasy e.g. questioning the society's function and/or the very existence of a creator?

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Welcome to the board Madmen. I haven't heard anything new, but what you described sounds like "fading" process.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

(bookmarking)

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    Does this apply if you're baptised, but haven't associated for over a decade and then choose to speak out in the media (specifically TV) in a way that the Watchtower Society would consider to be apostasy

Given that these are the people the WT is most in fear of rank and file JWs having contact with, I have trouble believing this. I would have to see something in print.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Part of the reason I decided to sent a letter of disassociation when I left the Watchtower was to point out to them they couldn't df me because I had already quit their organization. I used the analogy of a company firing someone who already let them know they quit their job. To me it seemed obvious that it was slander to say you fired someone that quit voluntarily I guess it worked back then because they never tried to df me but then again it didn't change anything because the dubs till avoided me like I had the plague and probably would have been df'd themself if they chose to associate with me.

I don't think it matters much what label they try to put on you also long as they have the rank and file convinced that you are evil and under the power of satan once you leave leave the Watchtower. If they hear you no longer believe it or are speaking against it they won't want anything to do with you. The Watchtower knows that the best way to keep control over its members it dehumanize those who leave and that is what they try to do.

• flipper
    flipper

MADMEN- Welcome to the board. The WT society is quite good as are their elders at NOT following policy exactly to the tee anyway. I have seen elders in many different congregations handle a similar matter in dozens of different ways. It depends on the elders dealing with the judicial committee matter. AND it depends on how badly they want a certain inactive person to go away if they don't like him or her. It really comes down to if they perceive you to be a threat to the local congregation. It doesn't matter if you've stopped attending 2 months ago- or 10 years ago - they will still go after a person and try to DF them if JW family still in pushes them to pursue a person or they don't like you or you appear threatening. So watch your back dude ! They came after me after being out 5 years ! And occasionally they STILL try to bother me- although inactive for 7 years

• Terry
    Terry

STATISTICS!

Hospitals do the same thing to make their stats look better; they send terminal people home to die.

In hospital deaths look bad on statistical charts!

The high number of DF'd looks bad too. Almost makes them look like bad shepherds.

So....what better way to drop the total number of DF'd??

Just my hypothesis.

• Madmen
    Madmen

Thanks everyone. I definitely "fell away" to avoid the organisation having any further control over my life - like deciding which of my family members I could talk to. This turned out to be a good call when my father died and I was able to be in the room with Witnesses coming and going without awkwardness. I have an opportunity I'd like to take advantage of that involves some media profile, but don't really want things to be difficult for my brother and his wife, who are the only two people in my life it would really affect now. As he's in a different country it might not have the repercussions I fear but was heartened to hear that their "new" policy implied I could not be disfellowshipped if I wasn't associating. I'm not actually sure which congregation would even disfellowship me, it's been so long since I've been involved and I've moved countries several times. Part of me would love to send a letter of resignation as some of my friends have, but I don't want to give them the power that would accompany that letter. I think I'll have to roll the dice and take my chances.

• Madmen
    Madmen

Just saw your entry Mr Flipper. That's interesting and practical information. If it's about being a threat to the local congregation, I imagine I wouldn't be seen that way. But as you say, it depends on the whims of individuals. They would have to have my address to inform me, otherwise how would I know. And even if I did know, I wouldn't spread it back in my original country - so it may not have a wide enough reach to affect me.

• Madmen
    Madmen

Terry - have disfellowshippings spiked in the our internet driven era?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit