Do your elders care at all?

by Mr. Falcon 55 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

I currently have an elder body who, for the most part, seems utterly complacent and disinterested in actually "shepherding" anything. I can't tell if they are lazy or just oblivious to their responsiblities of being "teachers". It seems like they are the last to know anything and ALWAYS procrastinate on everything. Additionally, they are completely incapable of agreeing on anything with each other. Not that they fight alot (or at all; they are some of the most non-confrontational guys I've ever met), they just can never seem to figure out how to work as a "team". People who have been members of the congregation for literally 50 years move away and the elders just shrug without even saying goodbye. People who are desperately going through some difficult situations have hinted to me that they feel like "the shepherds" just don't seem to care.

Anyways, I was wondering if this is common among anyone else's BOE. What was your experiences concerning the level of "paying attention to the flock" and actually trying to care/help congregation members? Just curious.

Lay it on me, comrades.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

They're tired. Think of the burden on a rank and file JW and then add in a talk every week, a responsibility like Secretary, Service Overseer, CoBE, conducting the WT, conducting the BS, leading a service group, going to a quick build, making sure your group handed in their reports, making sure your group cleans the KH, and so on.

Being an elder sucks, and being a MS may suck even worse because you don't feel you can ever say "no" when asked to do something the elders should be doing themselves.

The entire organization places extreme burdens on the members. Most don't even know they're depressed or tired because they're constantly being told how happy they all are, protected from the burdens and pressures of "Satan's world." Those poor deluded cult victims don't realize that the path to happiness is OUT the Kingdom Hall door.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

JW Elders=WatchTarded Policemen..

http://thetyee.cachefly.net/Opinion/2009/09/29/keystone-cops.jpg

No Fornicating or Pant Wearing Females in this Town..

http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p/LRG/37/3778/QM1IF00Z/posters/keystone-cops.jpg

Another Successful elders meeting..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Eco7TB0Jqvc/S29E6OMUG3I/AAAAAAAABLU/1azel4K8I5Q/s400/Keystone+cops.jpg

............................ ...OUTLAW

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I agree with Mad Sweeney...most elders are exhausted. In most cases, they have to work to support their families, jump through the standard JW hoops of meeting attendance, field service, personal study and then add to that:

1) Prepare meeting parts

2) Handle congregation duties

3) Endless elder meetings

4) Calls day and night from needy congregants

5) JC proceedings

6) Sheparding calls

7) CO beatdowns

8) Etc.

I am exhausted just writing it down...why anyone would view this as a privelege to "reach out for" is beyond me. I guess the perception of power is a powerful "drug" to those needing that type of "fix".

• Scooby-Doo
    Scooby-Doo

I know one elder from my (former) congregation that cares.

He really thinks that he's making a difference, he's really good at it too.

Kinda pervy, but a real good guy.

The others... not so much.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

I used to be on a body of elders with 12 others. It really annoyed me, looking around the table and seeing everyone looking down at their shoes, avoiding eye contact, when we were discussing people in need of help.

The only ones that offered added something like

" well I'd be happy to go along and see them, but........ I am preparing the special talk.....or pioneering this month.............. or already helping sister Smith ( who is a whole lot more interesting) so I havent really got the time.

In a nutshell............... hypocrites.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I was the only elder that regularly shepherded all my group. They hated me for it.

The COBE was simply a power tripper who had his suck ups. They only showed interest in the 'flock' when the equally powertripping CO visited.

I'm so happified I'm out of it all.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Some elders are power trippers. Some just end up there because they were good speakers and put in enough time on their monthly excel spreadsheet for Jehovah.

Neither group became elders for the express purpose of shepherding, for actually helping those who are needing spiritual, emotional, and even mental assistance. So you end up with a bunch of unqualified dudes who are more worried about making a mis-step then pouring their heart into the job.

As mentioned, they already have a job in real life, and maybe a family too.

At least most pastors and priests have been given some training in shepherding and counseling troubled individuals. The elders have one tool in their toolbox, "DO MORE" and everything will be ok.

• sir82
    sir82

What you describe will become more and more common as time drags along, with no Armageddon in sight.

The raw numbers of JWs are going up (for now), but most guys under the age of 40 or 50 can't be bothered with "reaching out". Many elders are feeling burned out, unappreciated, and frustrated that "the end" hasn't arrived yet.

I think our congregation is pretty typical. Out of the 9 or so MS, the only one who is "elder material" is a 60 year old ex-elder who will almost certainly never be appointed elder again, at least not here. The rest of them range from "adequate" down to "what kind of crack pipe were the elders in his previous congregation smoking when they nominated him?!?" No leadership ability at all, very little interest in doing much.

The elders are constantly bickering when face to face, and gossiping about each other with their elder-buddies when not all together. Nothing really gets accomplished, the congregation just kind of limps along.

Now multiply taht by 12,000 or congregations in the US, 100,000 or so worldwide. It's never going to get better in JW-land.

In 15-20 years, maybe less, when the current crop of elders begins dying off or becomes very limited in their abilities, there will be such a lack of elders it will eclipse the "priest shortage" of the Catholics that the WT liked to gloat about so much in past years.

• Violia
    Violia

Some did, they are the ones who are leaving. All that is left are Pharisees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit