38% of Americans & Glenn Beck Believe Japan Disaster a Sign From God

by whereami 22 Replies latest jw friends

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Some of the new friends my wife and I are making outside of WT world really think Glenn Beck is great. I am on the other hand think he uses the same cult techniques the WT has perfected many years ago. According to our freinds Glenn Beck says if you don't believe me do the research yourself. When I heard that all I could do is bite my tongue and say to myself cult, cult, cult. Totally ADD

• tec
    tec
    Did you know that almost 50% of people have below-average intelligence?

Cute.

• Satanus
    Satanus

50% are above average. There must be only one person in the whole country, who is average. Wait, how can that be?

S

• talley
    talley

As Apathetic Agnostics, the saying in our house is, "Mother Nature is a bitch!"

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I know.

I have some Lutheran friends, very religious. The other morning at coffee [my friend is the barista and her husband often joins me for coffee] they were both sounding off about how the 'end is very close', they then started speaking about the 'rapture' and how it was close. I took it to mean that they view them as one and the same, or at least related closely. She said that her pastor had just told them that Sunday that all the prophecies/signs regarding Israel were now complete - in other words the end could now come because it was all fulfilled.

I asked her then a simple question: "What particular prophecies did he discuss? And how were they all complete?" She stuttered that she was unable to recite them, but he had assured them that it was all but over now.

They began to relate all the serious 'signs' - Japan's earthquake disaster, Libya, uprisings in the middle-east, so forth. They spoke about how things have never been so bad in history. [At this point I was almost nauseated as it sounded just like regurgitated Jw-speak to me.] I asked them how this could be the 'worse period of human history'? I spoke of World War in Europe and the destruction of the Jews. Also mentioned the period of time when most of Europe and Asia were decimated by Plague and said that surely those people must have thought the same thing when they saw fully one third of the entire populace dying in the streets. And then spoke of how people believed similar things throughout history - and yet it was not the end then, why would it be now?

I think they actually got mad at me, steaming under their vague attempts to justify their fears/hopes.

Later that day I heard several talk show hosts spouting similar nonsense, including Beck.

These people have no other hope. They just live so that they can be saved, protected, raptured. How sad. Life wasted. Not much difference between them and Jw's. Same song, different verse [but so very similar].

Namaste

Jeff

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

OK then I'll say it - Glen Beck is a total moron

LOL He is, I was just mimicking the way he was talking on the audio.

• ranmac
    ranmac

I particularly like the comments at 1:51

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-faCh8BUEts

• ranmac
    ranmac

sorry i meant 1:00

• whereami
    whereami
    I know.
    I have some Lutheran friends, very religious. The other morning at coffee [my friend is the barista and her husband often joins me for coffee] they were both sounding off about how the 'end is very close', they then started speaking about the 'rapture' and how it was close. I took it to mean that they view them as one and the same, or at least related closely. She said that her pastor had just told them that Sunday that all the prophecies/signs regarding Israel were now complete - in other words the end could now come because it was all fulfilled.
    I asked her then a simple question: "What particular prophecies did he discuss? And how were they all complete?" She stuttered that she was unable to recite them, but he had assured them that it was all but over now.
    They began to relate all the serious 'signs' - Japan's earthquake disaster, Libya, uprisings in the middle-east, so forth. They spoke about how things have never been so bad in history. [At this point I was almost nauseated as it sounded just like regurgitated Jw-speak to me.] I asked them how this could be the 'worse period of human history'? I spoke of World War in Europe and the destruction of the Jews. Also mentioned the period of time when most of Europe and Asia were decimated by Plague and said that surely those people must have thought the same thing when they saw fully one third of the entire populace dying in the streets. And then spoke of how people believed similar things throughout history - and yet it was not the end then, why would it be now?
    I think they actually got mad at me, steaming under their vague attempts to justify their fears/hopes.
    Later that day I heard several talk show hosts spouting similar nonsense, including Beck.
    These people have no other hope. They just live so that they can be saved, protected, raptured. How sad. Life wasted. Not much difference between them and Jw's. Same song, different verse [but so very similar].
    Namaste
    Jeff

Jeff this made baby Jesus cry.

• unshackled
    unshackled

ranmac...thanks for that video. Hilarious...love The Onion.

0:50 "...there's no harder thing than to have Glenn Beck outlive your child."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit