I'm a Mess

by headisspinning 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Headspinning, hope you are doing okay. You've been given some really good advice here, esp. by jgnat and others. Your emotional response is totally NORMAL for someone who is breaking ties with a high-control religion. Try and develop a measure of emotional distance from the idea of the "the Truth." When I was waking up, I had to tamp down my emotions and focus on the rationality of my discoveries. For me, abundant research into evolution, radiometric dating and related topics was helpful. As well, get yourself involved with non-JW people, even if it means volunteering an afternoon a week at a food bank or whatever. If you work f-t (sorry, I don't remember your story), then go out to lunch w/friends from work, or for a drink after work.

As far as guilt goes, when that starts welling up in me (and it will, for a while), I give myself a choice: I can go back to knocking on doors and preaching that the Bible is inerrant, that paradise will be here "soon," etc., knowing full well that it's not true. Or I can be honest and stand to look at myself in the mirror every day.

For me, it's an easy choice and gets easier with the passage of time. That's the other thng you need to allow yourself. Time is, indeed, a great healer.

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

Thank you to SaltyOldLady...

What a story. Thank you so much for taking the time to share that with me. I just sent it to my husband to read to. They were 'annointed' and the congregation still treated them like that? I can't believe it. And how did the brother get disfellowshipped if he didn't commit adultery? Did they say he 'committed adultery in his heart'?

Many thanks.

:) HIS

• Murray Smith
    Murray Smith

Very moving story Salty . . . thanks for taking the time to post.

Luvonyall

• RosePetal
    RosePetal

Hi 'Headisspinning' I have sent you a PM

RosePetal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit