WoW, I talked to my aunt today.......

by flower 8 Replies latest jw friends

• flower
    flower

this was my first time talking to my df'd aunt since i found out the truth about the 'lie'.

i gotta tell you things are really different now. i almost wanted to get on my knees and beg for forgivness for the way she has been treated by my family for so many years but i was at her place of work.

we talked about a lot of things in depth, laughed and had a nice conversation which we never had the opportunity to do before because, even though i wasnt totally shunning her, i would only have short conversations with her about the family and things like that. but it just felt so freeing to look at her and see just another human being. not someone who i have to be afraid of because she left the truth. thats how it always was for me growing up..i didnt shun because it was jw policy and from jah, i did it because i was so afraid that something would happen to me if i talked to my df'd relatives too long. they were made out to be this evil society of people that had secret bad thoughts about us.

i started telling her a little about how hard its been to live with the jw family and how i really need to move out and she gave me some ideas and really understood. i've always liked my aunt and she is a really good person...caring and would do anything for anyone in the family. were not there yet just from this one conversation but i hope we can become closer since i seem to have lost my real mom recently after telling her things i learned about the 'truth'. she also told me about one of my other former aunts (was aunt by marriage but now divorced) that has a child my sons age now and so i plan to hook up with her one day so the kids can play.

anyway, just thought i'd share the experience. i felt really good and thank the Lord for opening my eyes and freeing me from the fear and mental hold that the society had on me.

oh speaking of hypocrisy (oh werent we? LOL) my df'd brothers girlfriend is over here now visiting with their baby girl. its ok with the jw family to spend time with her cause she has a baby that they want to play with and shes never been a witness. but my brother never comes over cause he is df'd and they would make him feel like they make me feel (like a piece of shit). she (his gf) is the sweetest girl in the world though and comes from an hour away every weekend to let the family visit with the baby.

i've been talking to her a little recently and were becoming friends but its slow because there were a lot of bad feelings between my brother and me growing up. were both adults and are ok with each other now, although we dont really know each other (my bro and me) but i feel very guilty about the way i felt towards my brothers growing up because they were 'bad' and did things that were supposedly 'wrong' and i judged them pretty harshly back then. i dont feel that way obviously but a lot of years have gone by and its hard to know how to proceed.

i'm looking forward to getting to know the rest of my family..i'm losing some but there is a whole lot more that i can gain.

flower

• Solace
    Solace

Isnt it sad that families can be torn apart by a controlling organization? I would love to hear of more reunions. It would be a nice change!

• wildeflower
    wildeflower

Flower - I am so happy for you that you had this great moment with your aunt. I wish you strength to deal with the family issues and many more loving relationships to explore.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Flower, this is really great. What a wonderful start, getting back with your family and you yourself letting go of some controling behavior that was ingrained in you.
    Who knows where your new freedom will lead!
    j2bf
    still can't spell without spell check. sorry

• GoldDustWoman
    GoldDustWoman

Flower,

I'm so glad you are connecting with your non-jw relatives.

It's interesting when I read about experiences like this, people always write of how welcoming, and forgiving, their "worldly" family is.

I have a relative that is in a similar situation as yours. She was Dfed, but got reinstated to keep contact with her very large immediate JW family. I hadn't seen her in over 20 years (since we were kids), due to shunning of my Mother and Aunt, and when she found us (her very devout JW Mom would not reveal any imformation about us when she asked) by sheer chance, we made an effort to make her feel welcomed and loved.

Unfortunately, she still has to lead a sort of double life, but at least she knows there is a place where she is loved unconditionally.

Andee

You can take a whore to culture, but you can't make her think-Dorothy Parker

• Gopher
    Gopher

Flower,

It surprises us, but really it shouldn't, how nice the so-called "worldly" relatives can be! After all, they haven't been given a template against which to measure us, no, they treat us like ordinary people would! So I hope you've forgiven yourself for not being close to your aunt for those many years, because almost surely she has! Just enjoy this year and the years to come!!

Like you, my JW parents are lost to me. Sigh. It's been a challenge to fill in the gap, but I'm enjoying life so much more. And if my parents want me, they sure know where I am!!

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

This is wonderful, Flower. I'm so happy for you, and so glad that you have a chance to build a relationship with the rest of your family.

I hope that eventually the JW family members realize what they're doing and re-establish a relationship with you. But, even if that doesn't happen, you have re-gained the others.

• SUSCARRA
    SUSCARRA

Isn't amazing at how we or some of us see things so clearly once we've left or were tossed out of the 'organization'? I'm the youngest of 9 children & how I use to miss my 'worldly family', because they wouldn't have anything to do with me & my family. But, it wasn't them that wouldn't 'associate' with us, IT WAS ME. I was the one with all the new 'loving' rules & regulations. Putting on the new personality cost me 15 years of being without them. I have a huge family of uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews, etc. I missed being there during my DAD's last days. Oh, what a wonderful, fine and loving man. His funeral was on the day of "Memorial". We had to leave right after his funeral service and travel about 2 hours so we could attend the Memorial at my husband's parents KH. I always hated that. But, I was loyal and stupid. I've lost a number of JW friends for the time being, but, it's my hope that one day they can be just my friends when and they will be out of the organization. My hope for them is as strong or stronger for their Christian freedom as my hope as a JW was that I could save them/others from total destruction as laid out by the 'org'.

My huge loving family has always been there for us and they still are. This is true AGAPE. Yes, and I'm proud to be have been humbled.
    By not being a JW, my family and I have everything to gain. My husband and 2 children have lost his JW Dad & Mom/grandparents, but they have the invitation to call, write and/or see us if they so choose. They have chosen and it is their GREAT loss & misfortune.

Forest Gump says, "STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES".
    I've decided not to be stupid anymore! (or at least I'm not going to try and practice stupidity anymore). How's that?

SUSCARRA

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

flower,

Welcome back to the 'human race'! The future is just beginning! Roll with the 'punches' life hands you, but don't worry, the Shepherd will tale care of you.

Outaservice (but still countin my time)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit