Do the governing body play God?

by TimothyT 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Hi everyone,

Im reading Ray Franz's book Crisis of Conscience! IT IS BRILLIANT! He brings out some AMAZING points as to the credibility of the Governing Body! I cant believe how many in my congregation go along with it... I never realy agreed with it anyway! Are they truly Gods channel? After studying this myself, i realised that Jesus is the channel! John 14:6! Its plain and simple isnt it! So why are the GB still in power?

Why do they have power to interfere with people's lives and take away their free will? Trust me, as i have grown up as a JW, i have seen and heard some pretty STUPID things... Laws and rules which in my opinion arent mentioned in the bible and some which are CONTRARY to it! Its almost pharisaical! (Matthew 23:23-34) Beards is my pet hate!!!!

Up to now, this is the most striking and also the most important part of the book i have read:

"On the occasion earlier mentioned, following Milton Henschel’s
    expression, my comment was that I did not believe that it was up
    to us to “let” the brothers do anything. Rather, I believed that God is
    the One who “lets” them do certain things, either because his Word
    approves it or because it is silent on the matter, and that He is the One
    that prohibits, when his Word clearly condemns the action, either
    explicitly or by clear principle. That I did not believe that as imperfect,
    error-prone men we were ever authorized by God to decide what
    should be allowed or disallowed for others. My question before the
    Body was, “When the matter is not clear in Scripture, why should
    we try to play God? We do so poorly at it. Why not let Him be
    the Judge of these people in such cases?” I repeated that view on
    other occasions when the same line of argument was being advanced,
    but I do not feel that the majority saw it in that light and their
    decisions indicated that they did not."

Raymond Franz, Crisis of Conscience, page 119.

POWER POWER POWER! Apart from the fact that many people ARE benefitting from the worldwide preaching work about Jehovah God and the ransom of Jesus, i can only see the other plausible goal is pure hedonistic POWER!!!

What are the goals of the Governing Body?

Timmy x :)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Like all cult leaders they're likely in it for power, prestige and/or money.

• Terry
    Terry

Ever read a news story about a parent that murders their kids because "God told them to do it?"

Same thing.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The mind control they exercise over people is more powerful than society at large, let alone JWs, want to admit. There isn't anything mystical about it; it isn't sci-fi type of mind control. It is simple individual and social psychology at work, and they are fairly masterful at it.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Hi Timmy, so glad you are enjoying the book! How did it go with telling your friends about your sexuality? Are they ok with you? To be honest, I really thought youd be DFd by now.......do you feel being a JW is something youd still like to be? So glad you are ok, and you do seem much happier. Please PM me if youd rather not discuss this openly here. Love Paula x

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Hi Paula! How are you? :) Im doing great! Day by day im feeling even better! Iv even gotten in contact with a few nice guys too! One of them i like and im getting to know a little better! It feels great just to do what I want! :)

Yes.. i discussed it with a few of my closest friends and they took it very well! :) They wernt judgemental and i told them that i CANT change anymore! My own sanity is involved! They understood! This and next weeks Watchtowers are appropriate... about falling into temptation... and next weeks is about ratting out friends who have issues! THEY BETTER NOT RAT ME OUT!!! HAHAAHAHHAHAHA!!! I dont think they will! One of them said... well Tim... ill always be here for you! AWWW!!! Isnt that sweet! :):):)

Haha... the book is AWESOME! Im telling my dad all about it! He is VERY interested too and sees through all the BS! :) Hah... if we spoke about reading CoC to the brothers... i WOULD be disfelowhipped! HAHA!!!

To be honest, from a balanced point of view, i still believe the organisation does a lot of good... and i will miss those things when i am kicked out for my sexuality... Shame! I do like it, and i always desires to stay in it as it helps me to draw closer to Jehovah! I understand i can do that myself, but its nice having close friends to help you! In those senses its something i still want to do, but, i want a boyfriend even more! :):):)

Ill keep in touch and let you know how im getting on!

Hope you are well! :)

Tim x

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

Ray mentions later in the book about followers of followers and victims of victims. And in reality thats all they are. Like the other 7million JW's around the world they honestly believe what they teach. Why? Because it's what they were taught. Like us, they were taught not to question, so they dont, not many do. Some wake up, most dont.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Is the sky blue?

Does Chaka Khan yell when she sings?

Is Elizabeth Taylor dead?

If you answered yes to least one of the questions, well, you have your answer.

• satinka
    satinka

indeed

satinka

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Does a bear shit in the woods?

V665V665

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit