Splinter Groups

by Kenneson 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society was born in dissent. Charles Taze Russell, its founder, (was a Presbyterian, then a Congregationalist, then a skeptic, then an Adventist, and finally originated his own brand). See http://watchtower.observer.org/
    and click on "Russell" in the left panel under "History." His followers were known as Russellites or Millennial Dawners. Still later they became known as International Bible Students. Finally, in 1931 they took on the name Jehovah's witnesses.

The following is a list of splinter groups from the Watchtower Society. So much for unity! How many do you recognize?

Bible Studies Fellowship, headquarters in San Diego, Ca.
    Bible Way Publications, Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.
    Christian Millennial Fellowship, Hartford, Conn. Publishes the New Creation magazine.
    Christian Renewal Ministry, Saratoga, Ca.
    Church of God of Abraham, Wenatchee, Wa. Publishes Notes for Bible Students newsletter
    Dawn Bible Students, East Rutherford, N.J. One of the original splinter groups formed after Joseph Rutherford became president of
    the Watchtower Society
    Fort Worth Bible Students, Ft. Worth, Tx. Republishes older W.T. Society literature
    Laodicean Home Missionary, John Krewson, Ft. Myers, Fl.
    Laymen's Home Missionary Movement, Raymond Jolly, Chester Springs, Pa. Publishes the Bible Standard and Herald of Christ's
    Kingdom newsletter. {In turn, a splinter group came out of this group: Epiphany Bible Students Association, Mount Dora, Fl.
    Publishes a newsletter under the group's name}
    Pastoral Bible Institute, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

There is a group under Hayiland Davis, Albany, N.Y. I'm not sure of the name.

In Africa there is a group that originated in the 1920s called Kitawala Movement.

If anyone knows of other groups, please feel free to include them.

• Francois
    Francois

What about the one with Garner Ted Armstrong? Wasn't his father kicked out of the WT for having "original" thoughts? I forget the name of his org., but the radio program was called "The World Tomorrow" I believe or some such dramatism. Even had WT-like publications.

FT

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Francois:
    Herbert W. Armstrong's group is known as the Worldwide Church of God. I don't think he was affiliated with the Watchtower Society.
    Anyone know for sure?

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Armstrong was a former Adventist

The Church of God of Abraham is, IIRC, a breakaway from Christadelphianism.

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Also, there are the "True Witnesses of Jehovah" in Romania who split off in WW II and are somewhat Rutherfordian in their beliefs.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Why dudes. Noone has mentioned the most important splinter group of all.
    This site right here.

• anewperson
    anewperson

Since the appearance of In Search Of Christian Freedom and the internet there have been those fellowshipping via internet who allow for great Christian freedom away from dictatorship and to do acts of kindness, i.e. the international Free Christians movement which is CHRIST-focused rather than focused on Russell, Rutherford, Knorr, Franz or Henschel, so the term "splinter" is less correct than movement. Within the movement there fellowship individuals and small in-the-home Bible reading groups, all independent but with unity by LOVE instead of forced sameness of beliefs though many still use some form of the divine name, look forward to resurrection to heaven or on a restored earth etc, while believing blood transfusions though normally unscriptural become scripturally permitted when life is threatened as per Matthew 12.

I'm reached via [email protected]

• Satanus
    Satanus

The wt now situated in brooklyn splintered off from russels bible students group. Rutherford was instrumental in that. The dawn bible students and brother groups are a continuation of russelism. Sometimes a splinter becomes larger than the original peice of wood.

SS

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I just came across another offshoot, the Church of the Kingdom of God, founded by F.L. Alexander Freytag in 1920. Headquarters are at Cartigny near Geneva, Switzerland. Publishes the "Kingdom of Righteousness Advertiser."

• Moxy
    Moxy

theres a reference book at the library that has an extensive bibliography of items published by russellite-offshoot groups. it lists something on the order of 30 groups, when all the variants are included. i might transcribe some of it out sometime if someones interested.

mox

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit